The Student Room Group

Birth certificate as ID

I'm receiving conflicting information on how to submit ID. I tried to upload a digital copy of my birth certificate as ID (since the website states this is allowed, and provides the option to do so), but it got rejected. I phoned the hotline and they said that online is not allowed and it has to be a physical copy in the post. She said it must be the original document, but the website says it can be a photocopy. Which is true? I would rather send a copy than the original so there is no risk of it getting lost.
Original post by zachbraffsipod
I'm receiving conflicting information on how to submit ID. I tried to upload a digital copy of my birth certificate as ID (since the website states this is allowed, and provides the option to do so), but it got rejected. I phoned the hotline and they said that online is not allowed and it has to be a physical copy in the post. She said it must be the original document, but the website says it can be a photocopy. Which is true? I would rather send a copy than the original so there is no risk of it getting lost.

Hi there,

Is it a UK birth certificate that you have? If not, can you please confirm your nationality?

Thanks, Graeme
Reply 2
Original post by Graeme SFE
Hi there,

Is it a UK birth certificate that you have? If not, can you please confirm your nationality?

Thanks, Graeme

Yes, it is a UK birth certificate
Yes, it is a UK birth certificate

Hi Zach,

Can you confirm if you're applying for an undergraduate or postgraduate course?

Thanks,
Claire
Original post by Claire SFE
Hi Zach,

Can you confirm if you're applying for an undergraduate or postgraduate course?

Thanks,
Claire

Hi Claire, it's for an undergraduate course, though I'm returning after intermitting for several years. It looks like they are now reviewing the scan I uploaded of my certificate, since it says 'received' rather than rejected. If this doesn't work out, would I need to send a physical copy to them? Again, I would rather not have to send the original document.
Hi Claire, it's for an undergraduate course, though I'm returning after intermitting for several years. It looks like they are now reviewing the scan I uploaded of my certificate, since it says 'received' rather than rejected. If this doesn't work out, would I need to send a physical copy to them? Again, I would rather not have to send the original document.

We can accept a copy of your UK birth certificate as ID for your application. You can upload this online in your account under the evidence upload option.It shouldn't have been rejected last time, unless there was an issue with the upload you done.

Thanks,
Claire

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending