The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Sammi_K?
I would love to take Japanese but to spend $20,000 on something that I can learn on my own is sort of foolish. Plus it would only be a time waster [4 years down the drain]. I decided to go into nursing instead because it has a much better demand and I love helping people. Regardless, I still wish I had the extra cash and time to take Japanese then I would be able to understand the manga I bought in Japanese :frown:.

First of all, thank you for saying that everybody on this thread, and everybody reading a degree in Japanese/Asian languages, is wasting their time and money. How thoughtful of you.
Good luck learning Japanese on your own. But really, if your one and only motivation is to be able to read manga, don't even bother learning the language : it requires way too much time and effort.
And just for the record, Japanese and Asian languages in general are great tools. My brother studied Japanese, which taught him hard-work and discipline, while fulfilling his dream of getting to know such an amazing country/culture. He now has a fantastic job in finance in Tokyo, which he would have never got if he hadn't been fluent in Japanese and known so much about Japanese people/culture (don't bother trying to work with Asians if you don't know their culture).

So if you think that studying Japanese is a waste of time/money, I'm sorry but you're wrong.
Of course nursing is a really good degree too and I wish you to find a good job later, but get off your high horse. Seriously, write that studying Japanese is ridiculous in a thread for Japanese applicants ? I don't have words for how mean and patronising that sounds.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by Bambirina
First of all, thank you for saying that everybody on this thread, and everybody reading a degree in Japanese/Asian languages, is wasting their time as money. How thoughtful of you.
Good luck learning Japanese on your own. But really, if your one and only motivation is to be able to read manga, don't even bother learning the language : it requires way too much time and effort.
And just for the record, Japanese and Asian languages in general are great tools. My brother studied Japanese, which taught him hard-work and discipline, while fulfilling his dream of getting to know such an amazing country/culture. He now has a fantastic job in finance in Tokyo, which he would have never got if he hadn't been fluent in Japanese and known so much about Japanese people/culture (don't bother trying to work with Asians if you don't know their culture).

So if you think that studying Japanese is a waste of time/money, I'm sorry but you're wrong.
Of course nursing is a really good degree too and I wish you to find a good job later, but get off your high horse. Seriously, write that studying Japanese is ridiculous in a thread for Japanese applicants ? I don't have words for how mean and patronising that sounds.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well first off, I do like the language. I love the way it sounds and everything. It is not just for manga or whatever.

2nd did your brother only do a degree in Japanese? Or did he do something else along with Japanese?

And just doing Japanese is a waste of time and money. If you're going to do it along with something else then it might not be. But if you plan on getting far with only knowing English and Japanese the only option would be to find a English teaching job in Japan.
Reply 22
Well first off, I do like the language. I love the way it sounds and everything. It is not just for manga or whatever.

2nd did your brother only do a degree in Japanese? Or did he do something else along with Japanese?

And just doing Japanese is a waste of time and money. If you're going to do it along with something else then it might not be. But if you plan on getting far with only knowing English and Japanese the only option would be to find a English teaching job in Japan.

Oh I see, you're one of these people who think that a language degree doesn't lead anywhere. Do you think that we only study grammar ? A language degree includes economics modules, politics modules, etc.. But well, you seem to have made up your mind already and decided that a Japanese degree is useless. You probably know best than all the experts who teach Japanese and Japanese-related subjects at university and who say that such a degree is far from being useless.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
Oh I see, you're one of these people who think that a language degree doesn't lead anywhere. Do you think that we only study grammar ? A language degree includes economics modules, politics modules, etc.. But well, you seem to have made up your mind already and decided that a Japanese degree is useless. You probably know best than all the experts who teach Japanese and Japanese-related subjects at university and who say that such a degree is far from being useless.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well don't they need people to enroll into the program so they can keep their job?

What are some jobs that you can get with just a language degree? I'm not talking about adding Masters or a second degree. Just Japanese?
Reply 24
Well don't they need people to enroll into the program so they can keep their job?

What are some jobs that you can get with just a language degree? I'm not talking about adding Masters or a second degree. Just Japanese?

Wow. Seriously, did you just come here to rain on our parade ? Do you really think that Japanese graduates never find good jobs ? Why don't you read some brochures and alumni testimonials before making statements ? Oh wait, you'll probably think that these are made up just to enrol students. Just let us be happy about our degree and don't worry, we'll be just fine, whatever you think :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 25
I suppose if I had to pay $20,000 I'd be a little wary of the employment aspects of my degree, too. Languages are notorious for stacking up rather poorly in terms of time invested to eventual wages earned, but there are so many degrees at the moment with difficult employment aspects (although Nursing isn't one of them).

Sammi_K does raise a valid point, but I'd rather try hard at something I enjoy than force myself to do something I don't enjoy because I think I'll get a job - not to imply you're doing Nursing purely for the cash though! Japanese degrees do have a year abroad in Japan as a benefit though, it's a brilliant experience, vital to learning the language, and it's something people who just learn Japanese on their own wouldn't be able to do, unless they had some serious cash. Perhaps I've been spoiled as a Scottish student at a Scottish University, having my tuitons fees paid for etc.

There are jobs out there for Japanese degree students, but for a start many of them are in Japan or advertised for in Japanese, so naturally we don't notice them so easily. I think you need to push yourself a little further to stand out though. Many people on a Japanese degree will end up with an Upper Intermediate level of Japanese (JLPT N2) which is great, but if you can push yourself to get that JLPT N1 certificate on your C.V., your employment prospects for translation etc., particularly in Japan, go way up.

So yeah, Japanese as a degree maybe doesn't have the almost automatic job prospects that other degrees, such as Medicine, often do. But if you are really passionate about it, I think you'll find your way in the end.

Seriously?? Doing a Japanese degree has all the other benefits of any other arts degreew, plus you get knowledge of a foreign language out of it.

Why exactly did you post here?? It's not exactly polite to come to a thread for Japanese applicants and slate the degree . . . It's kind of similar to me going to a nursing degree thread and asking why your all doing nursing instead of medicine. . .
Original post by Squaresquirrel
I've been trying to get into J-pop for a while now but can't seem to find any bands that really click with me. Mind reccomending any bands you like so I can check them out?? :biggrin:

Comokanu is probably your better guide here. My domain is exclusively cheesey idol pop, probably considered to be bad music by most sane people, as my no1 criteria for a good song is cheese. :ahee:
Original post by okonomiyaki
Comokanu is probably your better guide here. My domain is exclusively cheesey idol pop, probably considered to be bad music by most sane people, as my no1 criteria for a good song is cheese. :ahee:

haha nothing wrong with a bit of cheese :wink:
Original post by Comokanu
I personally don't like J-Pop that much (strange, I know), almost leaning towards crap with the recent stuff. But I've always loved B'z, an absolutely timeless J-Rock duo with legendary guitarist Tak Matsumoto. They've changed their style throughout the times but have always been amazing. Also check out T.M.Revolution.

I listen to other Japanese bands as well:
The Mods
Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra
Tak Matsumoto
(he does some sick solo stuff when not doing B'z stuff)

But these are far from current J-Pop and the latter two are instrumental bands. I think I used to listen to some animé soundtracks for novelty, they weren't bad. But then anything sounds good after hearing it at least 13 times.

Checking them out now, thanks for the reccomendations :P
Reply 30
Oh hi ! Don't worry the bac is not as terrible as everybody makes it sound .. If the average to stupid guy from a bad high school can get it, you'll get it too, and if you study, you'll have good grades :smile: I took the bac L and the only bad grade I got was in Philosophy, which is very subjective. The other subjects are just fine if you study :smile:

Yeah I love China, I'm having a blast here ! I can't wait to speak both Chinese an Japanese, even though they are both gonna require a lifetime to actually be mastered .. :smile:
Kanji are actually the easiest thing for me in Japanese right now, at least to write :tongue: and sometimes their pronunciation sounds like weird Chinese, it's funny (and a little confusing)

Good luck with your bac, but I'm sure you'll do great ! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am also doing the bac L. :biggrin:
Luckily for me, I really enjoy philosophy and I have had quite good marks so hopefully it will be the case for the bac. What I don't enjoy at all is Litterature cause it's one of the most pointless subjects ever (except for people who want to work at a literature teacher later on or something...) and the 2 books we're studying are quite boring...
I took Anglais spécialité cause it means I have English coefficient 9 so I'm sort of cheating since I am English haha. It does really help though.

You're so lucky to be over in China! How is your Chinese? Can you actually hold a conversation in Chinese?
And yeah I agree 'cause they're both completely different to any Western language so I can imagine how difficult they are to learn. But they are beautiful languages too and so are the countries and their culture (not to mention the food!) :smile:
Reply 31

There are actually many jobs you can do with just a language degree :

government, diplomacy, NGOs and international development

the arts and museums

management consultancy

finance, accountancy and marketing

teaching, translation and interpreting

journalism and the media

Reply 32
Original post by IzzyJay25
I am also doing the bac L. :biggrin:
Luckily for me, I really enjoy philosophy and I have had quite good marks so hopefully it will be the case for the bac. What I don't enjoy at all is Litterature cause it's one of the most pointless subjects ever (except for people who want to work at a literature teacher later on or something...) and the 2 books we're studying are quite boring...
I took Anglais spécialité cause it means I have English coefficient 9 so I'm sort of cheating since I am English haha. It does really help though.

You're so lucky to be over in China! How is your Chinese? Can you actually hold a conversation in Chinese?
And yeah I agree 'cause they're both completely different to any Western language so I can imagine how difficult they are to learn. But they are beautiful languages too and so are the countries and their culture (not to mention the food!) :smile:

That was actually my problem : I always had between 11 and 14 in philosophy during the year, but I got 7 at the bac. I loved literature ! My teacher was amazing so that made it easy to love, although we had some really boring books. But I loved Gargantua and luckily I got it at the bac :smile: I read the books that you're studying this year and yeah, it's pointless. I love literature and I think it's really important, especially for the section littéraire, but then .. why two books ? That's absolutely not enough. I think 4 was a good number, they should have kept it that way.
English was also my spécialité, and I had two LV3 (German and Chinese) which really helped me :tongue: I took Italian as my LV2, which was my way of cheating as I'm Italian haha

My Chinese is pretty decent right now, I am finally able to hold a conversation :smile: (which I was NOT able to do when I got here ..) I am gonna take the HSK 5 in June, I really hope I'll get it ! Chinese is extremely time-consuming (it's 1am here and I've just finished my homework, after hours spent doing exercises and learning characters) but also very rewarding, I love it ! I expect learning Japanese to be similar in this aspect :smile:

Oh I firmed Manchester today ! Wooooh !!! :biggrin:
Reply 33
That was actually my problem : I always had between 11 and 14 in philosophy during the year, but I got 7 at the bac. I loved literature ! My teacher was amazing so that made it easy to love, although we had some really boring books. But I loved Gargantua and luckily I got it at the bac :smile: I read the books that you're studying this year and yeah, it's pointless. I love literature and I think it's really important, especially for the section littéraire, but then .. why two books ? That's absolutely not enough. I think 4 was a good number, they should have kept it that way.
English was also my spécialité, and I had two LV3 (German and Chinese) which really helped me :tongue: I took Italian as my LV2, which was my way of cheating as I'm Italian haha

My Chinese is pretty decent right now, I am finally able to hold a conversation :smile: (which I was NOT able to do when I got here ..) I am gonna take the HSK 5 in June, I really hope I'll get it ! Chinese is extremely time-consuming (it's 1am here and I've just finished my homework, after hours spent doing exercises and learning characters) but also very rewarding, I love it ! I expect learning Japanese to be similar in this aspect :smile:

Oh dear, that's not very reassuring. I'm just hoping that politics won't be in the bac this year. I'd like it to be desire, work, language or something like that...

Well at least you had a good teacher in literature. My teacher doesn't make what we study interesting at all which doesn't help. I briefly studied Gargantua last year in French and it was actually one of the few books I found interesting so you were lucky to have it in your program. ^^

I took DNL (history/geography) and music as my Options Facultatives. Music is actually really complicated but even if I only get 1 point from it, it's worth it I guess. I regret not taking Italian last year though and I should have taken Chinese in Seconde but instead I took Art and it really wasn't what I expected it to be like...

How much did you get for you bac?

I can imagine Chinese being time-consuming and very difficult, but being able to spend time on something that your passionate about is just great!
I really can't wait to start studying Japanese. I know it will be hard but I don't care because it's such a beautiful language and it's what I am passionate about. And I especially can't wait to go on my year abroad, which is in ages though. I spend so much time reading blogs about exchange students in Japan. It's fascinating!

Good luck with your HSK 5 by the way. You'll do well! :smile:
Reply 34

Oh and congratulations for Manchester! :smile: Is it an unconditional or conditional offer?
Reply 35
Original post by IzzyJay25
Oh dear, that's not very reassuring. I'm just hoping that politics won't be in the bac this year. I'd like it to be desire, work, language or something like that...

Well at least you had a good teacher in literature. My teacher doesn't make what we study interesting at all which doesn't help. I briefly studied Gargantua last year in French and it was actually one of the few books I found interesting so you were lucky to have it in your program. ^^

I took DNL (history/geography) and music as my Options Facultatives. Music is actually really complicated but even if I only get 1 point from it, it's worth it I guess. I regret not taking Italian last year though and I should have taken Chinese in Seconde but instead I took Art and it really wasn't what I expected it to be like...

How much did you get for you bac?

I can imagine Chinese being time-consuming and very difficult, but being able to spend time on something that your passionate about is just great!
I really can't wait to start studying Japanese. I know it will be hard but I don't care because it's such a beautiful language and it's what I am passionate about. And I especially can't wait to go on my year abroad, which is in ages though. I spend so much time reading blogs about exchange students in Japan. It's fascinating!

Good luck with your HSK 5 by the way. You'll do well! :smile:

Oh and congratulations for Manchester! Is it an unconditional or conditional offer?

Yes we were very lucky to have Gargantua, especially as the 3 others were pretty boring.

I got Mention Bien at the bac :smile:

My brother lives in Japan, his life is fascinating to me but he says it's just an almost boring routine now :tongue: I'm sure he says that just for the sake of complaining though, because every time I visit him, he has lots of fun doing very random stuff. I can't wait to live there myself ! :biggrin:

The offer is unconditional :biggrin: it feels so good to finally know where I'll spend the next 4 years of my life !!
Reply 36
Hey, I'm intrigued, im up for Edinburgh and Manchester Japanese and really cant decide on which one to go for. Edinburgh is closer to home, but Manchester actually has facilities and a real department and a better campus. Any advice?
Reply 37
Original post by Incomplete
Hey, I'm intrigued, im up for Edinburgh and Manchester Japanese and really cant decide on which one to go for. Edinburgh is closer to home, but Manchester actually has facilities and a real department and a better campus. Any advice?

Hey ! I've firmed Manchester and I've been rejected by Edinburgh but I'm very happy I'm going to Manchester :smile: the only real advantage that Edinburgh had for me is that it would have been free to study there as I'm from the EU, otherwise I don't know much about it.
I know a lot more about Manchester as I know students from there who are on their year abroad in the Chinese uni where I'm doing my gap year. The department is really good, the courses are diverse, the campus is fun .. And Manchester has amazing partner universities in Asia.

I'm in a bit of a rush right now so I can't write a lot but I'm very happy I chose Manchester :smile: I can't wait to go there !

Posted from TSR Mobile
I realize I've come to this thread kind of late, but has anyone applied to Oxford Brookes for Japanese. I'm deciding between Manchester and Brookes. I'm currently living in Manchester right now, so I guess it would be more convenient, but Brookes seemed good too. Anyone know about the course? Also, is anybody here planning on doing Japanese as part of a joint honours degree?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 39
Original post by laurenelucy
I realize I've come to this thread kind of late, but has anyone applied to Oxford Brookes for Japanese. I'm deciding between Manchester and Brookes. I'm currently living in Manchester right now, so I guess it would be more convenient, but Brookes seemed good too. Anyone know about the course? Also, is anybody here planning on doing Japanese as part of a joint honours degree?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, sorry for the late reply. I can't really help you there since I haven't applied for either of them. I have been on both of their websites and I think they both look good. I think Manchester probably looks a bit better, but I honestly don't know... :/ You've probably already chosen by now though! ^^

Latest

Trending

Trending