The Student Room Group

Purely hypothetical, if WIII occured, what country would most likely start it?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Isreal definitely theyre so keen to see Iran destroyed

Posted from TSR Mobile
Monaco, it's always the quiet ones.
Reply 62
Original post by yg95

Posted from TSR Mobile

Throughout this topic, I've seen Iran and Isreal pop up a lot, besides the nuke productions, are there any other reasons why these countries are considered a threat? (Sorry if I'm being stupid here, I don't know that much on the conflict between these two nations).
Reply 63
I'd probably put my money on North Korea too.. they're bat**** insane.. proper ****ing scary how unstable they are.
Reply 64
Seems as though tensions with NK are escalating, take a look at this:
http://news.sky.com/story/1070800/north-korea-us-stealth-bombers-fly-over-south

Particularly this sentence: "The planes were taking part in a joint South Korea-US military exercise that has inflamed tensions with Pyongyang, which has threatened to unleash an "all-out war" backed by nuclear weapons."

Does this further put NK as a potential candidate for the spark of WWIII?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by bssjonny
Wales. I just know they're up to something.

Damn, they're on to us...
*loads sheep cannon*
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by tohaaaa
Seems as though tensions with NK are escalating, take a look at this:
http://news.sky.com/story/1070800/north-korea-us-stealth-bombers-fly-over-south

Particularly this sentence: "The planes were taking part in a joint South Korea-US military exercise that has inflamed tensions with Pyongyang, which has threatened to unleash an "all-out war" backed by nuclear weapons."

Does this further put NK as a potential candidate for the spark of WWIII?

i was reading this a few minutes ago and thought the same thing - maybe it's just NK blowing smoke as per usual though , making empty claims. However might not be.
I reckon it's going to come down to China trying their luck with Taiwan and dragging America into WWIII.

You heard it here first folks!
Original post by yg95

Posted from TSR Mobile

Now I'm no Zionist but do you not think that maybe Iran are perhaps also keen to destroy Israel?
Is this more posturing and empty threats from North Korea or a feasible threat?
It may take a while, but I think it's plausible to think that once oil has gone we'll fight over fresh water

Posted from TSR Mobile
I forgot to add who would start :')

I don't know really, doesn't pretty much everyone hate everyone else?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 72
My guess would be that it would involve countries in the middle east. North Korea may be crazy enough to challenge a superpower but I doubt anyone else would be stupid enough to support them especially when they have no reason for aggression. On the other hand, many middle eastern countries have money and influence from oil and support from neighbours which would allow them to drag other countries into a conflict. Of all the countries capable of starting WW3 I think they have the biggest motivation to do so.
Reply 73
Original post by Fullofsurprises
I tend to agree that China/Japan looks far more threatening right now than NK/SK or NK/US or variants thereof. The stupidity of the way in which both China and Japan are approaching this pathetic dispute is quite dazzling, today they can be seen on international news channels trying to bash ships into each other. Given what is at stake, they are behaving like idiots, which does not inspire confidence.

Iran appears to be the other big source of tension, suppose Turkey eventually succumbs to a need to intervene in Syria - then Israel is forced in - then Iran - then Russia.... then the US. However, there are so many difficulties around this scenario, not least the fact that Russia remains much weaker than their bluster suggests.

So it comes down to China/Japan and those absurd islands.

I think the Islands are causing so much hostility because the Chinese government can no longer really on economic growth for its legitimacy. Given how wealthy a lot of people in China are becoming they are starting to want more freedom so China is trying to gain support by becoming nationalistic, bit like the Argentine government using the Falklands to distract its population. China is an economic power and a soon to be military power, not to mention some of their leaders believe America is in a rapid decline so its no surprise they are pursuing these claims so strongly. If they don't tone it down it's going to blow up in their faces.
China.
Original post by Aj12
I think the Islands are causing so much hostility because the Chinese government can no longer really on economic growth for its legitimacy. Given how wealthy a lot of people in China are becoming they are starting to want more freedom so China is trying to gain support by becoming nationalistic, bit like the Argentine government using the Falklands to distract its population. China is an economic power and a soon to be military power, not to mention some of their leaders believe America is in a rapid decline so its no surprise they are pursuing these claims so strongly. If they don't tone it down it's going to blow up in their faces.

Agreed. Also they some to have an overly-assertive policy generally with regards to the South China Sea and its surrounding areas, they have frequently behaved in hostile ways toward treaties that govern these areas in the past and have maintained a fairly constant belligerence with regards to Taiwan. They clearly see these as crucial to their interests and are therefore more willing to engage in risky behaviour there.

It would be interesting to see if a genuinely democratic China behaved differently.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Agreed. Also they some to have an overly-assertive policy generally with regards to the South China Sea and its surrounding areas, they have frequently behaved in hostile ways toward treaties that govern these areas in the past and have maintained a fairly constant belligerence with regards to Taiwan. They clearly see these as crucial to their interests and are therefore more willing to engage in risky behaviour there.

It would be interesting to see if a genuinely democratic China behaved differently.

claiming territory/crucial interests is nothing to do with democracy - I mean the democratic Republic of China would do the same.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 77
Interesting, but again, considering China has a stupendously large land army, surely they would win by force??? (And the War will be one sided)?????
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by tohaaaa
Interesting, but again, considering China has a stupendous land army, surely they would win by force??? (And the War will be one sided)?????

Stupendously large land army yes, I doubt they are well trained.
Reply 79
Original post by tehFrance
Stupendously large land army yes, I doubt they are well trained.

Why so? China looks pretty strict :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending