The Student Room Group

attracted to but deeply repulsed by guys at the same time

i dont understand it myself tbh but basically what the title says - i just want to know if anyone else feels or has felt like this before and how you deal with such thoughts? (also posting anonymously bc this is very embarrassing for me to admit, let alone talk about).

for context, im 19f and very attracted to guys (and maybe girls? more on that later) but can no longer stand the thought of actually being sexually intimate with one ever. for context i have not had any sexual experience in the past with any guys nor been in a *real* relationship with one, but i have always known that i am strongly attracted to guys and desired a romantic and sexual relationship with one. until quite recently, when the thought of what ACTUALLY occurs during intercourse randomly struck me as absolutely repulsive - since then i have been unable to stomach the thought of ever being in a relationship with a man if it means i would have to do such a thing with him (although at the same time i really want to have my own biological kids??). however although i have never had a real wlw crush and am unsure of my true feelings towards girls, i know that the thought of being sexually intimate with a girl does not repulse me - in fact it excites me if im being honest and over the past couple years i have sometimes fantasised about making out with a couple of my female friends... but again ive never been in any relationships before so cannot speak from experience and am unsure if i actually like girls or if im just curious, this is all purely just how i feel in my head.

one more thing that strikes me as odd tho is that although i find guys very physically attractive, much more so than i do girls, i get disgusted/annoyed when i see a guy topless or dressed 'immodestly'but when i see a girl like that i couldnt care less. im honestly not sure if thats also due to my recent repulsion, or if its just rooted in some deep hatred within me towards societal double standards for men/women or what lol.

also i cannot 'experiment' to get experience and learn what i actually like and dislike bc of religious/cultural reasons (nor do i even want to tbh, purely from my own moral standpoint) so i guess im at a crossroads. i know that if i ever do get in a relationship it will only be in marriage to a man, so how can i deal with the sexual repulsion i feel so strongly towards men without experiencing any intimacy beforehand? is it even possible or am i likely doomed to lead a life of sexual misery lol.
Original post by Anonymous #1
i dont understand it myself tbh but basically what the title says - i just want to know if anyone else feels or has felt like this before and how you deal with such thoughts? (also posting anonymously bc this is very embarrassing for me to admit, let alone talk about).

for context, im 19f and very attracted to guys (and maybe girls? more on that later) but can no longer stand the thought of actually being sexually intimate with one ever. for context i have not had any sexual experience in the past with any guys nor been in a *real* relationship with one, but i have always known that i am strongly attracted to guys and desired a romantic and sexual relationship with one. until quite recently, when the thought of what ACTUALLY occurs during intercourse randomly struck me as absolutely repulsive - since then i have been unable to stomach the thought of ever being in a relationship with a man if it means i would have to do such a thing with him (although at the same time i really want to have my own biological kids??). however although i have never had a real wlw crush and am unsure of my true feelings towards girls, i know that the thought of being sexually intimate with a girl does not repulse me - in fact it excites me if im being honest and over the past couple years i have sometimes fantasised about making out with a couple of my female friends... but again ive never been in any relationships before so cannot speak from experience and am unsure if i actually like girls or if im just curious, this is all purely just how i feel in my head.

one more thing that strikes me as odd tho is that although i find guys very physically attractive, much more so than i do girls, i get disgusted/annoyed when i see a guy topless or dressed 'immodestly'but when i see a girl like that i couldnt care less. im honestly not sure if thats also due to my recent repulsion, or if its just rooted in some deep hatred within me towards societal double standards for men/women or what lol.

also i cannot 'experiment' to get experience and learn what i actually like and dislike bc of religious/cultural reasons (nor do i even want to tbh, purely from my own moral standpoint) so i guess im at a crossroads. i know that if i ever do get in a relationship it will only be in marriage to a man, so how can i deal with the sexual repulsion i feel so strongly towards men without experiencing any intimacy beforehand? is it even possible or am i likely doomed to lead a life of sexual misery lol.

This sounds a bit like my own experience. It’s a long story but I figured out that I am a lesbian. Not saying it is the same for you but that is my experience. I though I liked men but the second i got put in the situation where i might kiss or sleep with a guy I would hate it and couldn’t go through with it… I didn’t get the same thing with girls and on reflection I just found it hard to come to terms with the fact that I couldn’t like men as I wanted approval. I’m not sure if this helps at all.
lol I'm the exact same on every point. Except I definitely do like women. I want to like men in the same way but just don't. Maybe this is what happens when you don't have sexual experience at a younger age like 16 - it just suddenly strikes you how off-putting it seems. Also I hate the idea of being (sorry to be graphic) penetrated by a man. I can't help feeling like most men secretly view women as beneath them, and I definitely could not sleep with a man who thinks that.
Every relationship I've been in and fairly quickly ended with a male I've felt like they just want to be able to tell their friends they have a girlfriend as well. Maybe I just secretly hate being a woman.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous #2
This sounds a bit like my own experience. It’s a long story but I figured out that I am a lesbian. Not saying it is the same for you but that is my experience. I though I liked men but the second i got put in the situation where i might kiss or sleep with a guy I would hate it and couldn’t go through with it… I didn’t get the same thing with girls and on reflection I just found it hard to come to terms with the fact that I couldn’t like men as I wanted approval. I’m not sure if this helps at all.

thank you, this is quite helpful. i would be inclined to think that i may be lesbian too bc of all this but the truth is i dont think i am - at most i think id br bisexual w a preference for men as i have bren in love/infatuated with a guy before, but never with a girl. also i could see myself kissing/cuddling with a guy but just not having $*x - although i could see myself happily doing so with a girl? im not sure if its bc i hate the idea of the p*n*s whereas with another girl i know exactly what to expect since i am one, or if its something else (like the fact that i think most men are pretty trash tbh lol).

but again, since i have a complete lack of experience i cannot say with certainty that these feelings would be the same if i were actually in these positions, its all purely hypothetical atm :/
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous #3
lol I'm the exact same on every point. Except I definitely do like women. I want to like men in the same way but just don't. Maybe this is what happens when you don't have sexual experience at a younger age like 16 - it just suddenly strikes you how off-putting it seems. Also I hate the idea of being (sorry to be graphic) penetrated by a man. I can't help feeling like most men secretly view women as beneath them, and I definitely could not sleep with a man who thinks that.
Every relationship I've been in and fairly quickly ended with a male I've felt like they just want to be able to tell their friends they have a girlfriend as well. Maybe I just secretly hate being a woman.

yes exactly this, thank you!
likr i said to the other poster, i would be inclined to think that i may be lesbian too bc of all this but the truth is i dont think i am - at most i think id br bisexual w a preference for men as i have bren in love/infatuated with a guy before, but never with a girl. also i could see myself kissing/cuddling with a guy but just not having $*x - although i could see myself happily doing so with a girl? i just cant stand the idea of penetration by a man - but im not too sure if its because i hate the idea of the p*n*s and am completely fine w the female body as i have one myself, or if its because, like u said, most men secretly view women as beneath them (and i secretly view most of them as trash bc of it lol).

but again, since i have a complete lack of experience i cannot say with certainty that these feelings would be the same if i were actually in these positions, its all purely hypothetical atm
thank you, this is quite helpful. i would be inclined to think that i may be lesbian too bc of all this but the truth is i dont think i am - at most i think id br bisexual w a preference for men as i have bren in love/infatuated with a guy before, but never with a girl. also i could see myself kissing/cuddling with a guy but just not having $*x - although i could see myself happily doing so with a girl? im not sure if its bc i hate the idea of the p*n*s whereas with another girl i know exactly what to expect since i am one, or if its something else (like the fact that i think most men are pretty trash tbh lol).

but again, since i have a complete lack of experience i cannot say with certainty that these feelings would be the same if i were actually in these positions, its all purely hypothetical atm :/

I identified as bisexual for ages and it was only when I went on a date with a guy that I realised I wasn’t into them. Before that I thought the idea of kissing guys to be pleasant and something i wanted to do… and honestly I thought I was up for the rest of it as well but only when I was actually put in that situation did i realise. It’s odd i know. feels very odd posting any of this on tsr as it’s not really something i talk about but oh well
again i wanna be clear i’m not saying this should be your experience or even apply to you at all it’s just my experience and thought sharing might help even a little
I'm kinda similar in that I can (and do!) experience sexual attraction to men now and again (hello, Colin Firth! :sexface: ) and wouldn't mind kissing/cuddling a man, but can't/won't do anything with men below the waist :colondollar: Whereas women I do experience a lot of attraction to in all ways! :colone: I label myself a lesbian (even though I'm technically bisexual, I guess) because the idea of being with a guy grosses me out hugely - but I'm not planning on getting into a relationship soon with anyone of any gender. Plus I'm very inexperienced in all things relationship-wise (not even had a first kiss yet, aged 35!). So it's all a bit of a mute point for me :yes:

I wish I had advice for you. I can empathise with the religious/cultural thing a bit (I'm a practising Sri Lankan Roman Catholic, albeit a liberal one) and it can be so so hard to navigate and figure these things out with religious/cultural backgrounds where being bi is taboo. Just writing a bit anyway, so that you know you're not alone in feeling this way :hugs:
Reply 8
Original post by Anonymous #2
I identified as bisexual for ages and it was only when I went on a date with a guy that I realised I wasn’t into them. Before that I thought the idea of kissing guys to be pleasant and something i wanted to do… and honestly I thought I was up for the rest of it as well but only when I was actually put in that situation did i realise. It’s odd i know. feels very odd posting any of this on tsr as it’s not really something i talk about but oh well

ahh okay that makes a lot of sense, ty. can i just ask if you realised you werent into guys after your date with that one guy, or if it was after dating multiple guys?

and i completely understand its very awkward to talk about for me asw haha but i really wanted external opinions but cant talk about it eith anyone in my life sooo tsr it is lol

Hi, have you looked into asexuality? There are some asexual people who feel sexual repulsion, but still romantically like guys/girls/etc, so it's definitely possible. You are not alone.
I've found researching different labels and finding ones that fit me has helped me understand myself and stop labelling thoughts that are different from what I expect as 'disgusting' and that kind of thing. Idk if it's the same for you but I feel better if I have a label for what I feel, because it means there are other people out there like me.

Also, just throwing it out there- sexuality is fluid. For some people, this means it changes throughout your lifetime. Even if you feel this way now, this feeling may change one day. I'd say that if/when you start dating, make sure your boundaries are clear so if you feel uncomfortable, they know to back off. You can definitely have a fulfilling romantic lfie without sex, even if that feeling of repulsion doesn't change, and it's possible to have your own biological kids without having sex (e.g. through IVF). There are possibilities, and there are options, and you are not alone.
Reply 10
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
I'm kinda similar in that I can (and do!) experience sexual attraction to men now and again (hello, Colin Firth! :sexface: ) and wouldn't mind kissing/cuddling a man, but can't/won't do anything with men below the waist :colondollar: Whereas women I do experience a lot of attraction to in all ways! :colone: I label myself a lesbian (even though I'm technically bisexual, I guess) because the idea of being with a guy grosses me out hugely - but I'm not planning on getting into a relationship soon with anyone of any gender. Plus I'm very inexperienced in all things relationship-wise (not even had a first kiss yet, aged 35!). So it's all a bit of a mute point for me :yes:

I wish I had advice for you. I can empathise with the religious/cultural thing a bit (I'm a practising Sri Lankan Roman Catholic, albeit a liberal one) and it can be so so hard to navigate and figure these things out with religious/cultural backgrounds where being bi is taboo. Just writing a bit anyway, so that you know you're not alone in feeling this way :hugs:

hahaha i totally get you - although i do daydream/fantasise about being with an amazing imaginary guy a lot (cringe ik), the idea of actually being with one in the real world lowkey bothers me because i genuinely dont trust or like real men all that much for some reason (possibly because of my toxic male relatives bc i have met men who were lovely people, but even still i cant imagine being with a truly good man so id rather not be with any if that makes sense?) but even still i dont mind the idea of marrying a man too much, but sleeping with him...ugh no thanks

i would much much rather be happily married to another woman but again unfortunately not possible for religious/cultural reasons (and neither is any form of experimenting with anyone before marriage). soo yeah im kinda stuck with these feelings and the uncertainty of any romantic (and sexual) happiness in my future lol, but i guess it is what it is.

thank you for your post tho, i appreciate it - it does indeed feel much better knowing im not completely alone!
tbh I do like chatting with guys cos I'm vain and who doesn't enjoy being pursued, and I also enjoy kissing but that's about the line. Maybe it's cos of how my brothers talk about women and sex that has completely put me off actual sex with men. The worst bit is just how guys would talk to their friends about u after as well and just the horrible stuff groups of guys say. I think if I was insanely attractive and desirable I wouldn't feel like this because men would actually respect me and be intimidated. And if you have control over rejecting or accepting then you wouldn't feel powerless or disrespected. Perhaps we should all try to have massive glow ups and see how our feelings change.
I worry that otherwise people will insinuate the reason I don't like guys is cos noone wants me. Cos most of the guys I know would make that kind of assumption about girls who say they don't like guys ahaha
ahh okay that makes a lot of sense, ty. can i just ask if you realised you werent into guys after your date with that one guy, or if it was after dating multiple guys?

and i completely understand its very awkward to talk about for me asw haha but i really wanted external opinions but cant talk about it eith anyone in my life sooo tsr it is lol

Yea i totally get it - not being able to talk about it must suck

It’s sort of as long story but I met this guy through friends, thought he was cute, really enjoyed texting him and chatting in person for months so i convinced myself i liked him but when we finally went on date and he held my hand, kissed me etc… I realised that i was never attracted to him romantically nor did i want to pursue anything more. He is a lovely guy and if i liked guys i would be into him but im not. It caused me to spiral for a bit because i was so confused as i always felt an attraction to men but after a long time after reflecting im content now. 🙂
Reply 13
Original post by Anonymous #4
Hi, have you looked into asexuality? There are some asexual people who feel sexual repulsion, but still romantically like guys/girls/etc, so it's definitely possible. You are not alone.
I've found researching different labels and finding ones that fit me has helped me understand myself and stop labelling thoughts that are different from what I expect as 'disgusting' and that kind of thing. Idk if it's the same for you but I feel better if I have a label for what I feel, because it means there are other people out there like me.

Also, just throwing it out there- sexuality is fluid. For some people, this means it changes throughout your lifetime. Even if you feel this way now, this feeling may change one day. I'd say that if/when you start dating, make sure your boundaries are clear so if you feel uncomfortable, they know to back off. You can definitely have a fulfilling romantic lfie without sex, even if that feeling of repulsion doesn't change, and it's possible to have your own biological kids without having sex (e.g. through IVF). There are possibilities, and there are options, and you are not alone.

This was a very enlightening response. Since reading your post yesterday I have looked into asexuality a bit and whilst I cannot say for sure that it applies to me, it did somewhat resonate - and whilst I'm not personally a fan of labels (they can feel restrictive at times) this did make me feel less 'weird' about myself so thank you :smile:

I was also not aware that sexuality can be fluid - for example, I thought that since I had always been attracted to guys and not girls I must have been 'confused' or 'going through a phase' in response to my recent attraction towards girls. However, one year passed and then two and it was impossible to deny that a part of me, although small, did indeed feel some sort of attraction towards girls, which led me to question whether I was not straight and actually bisexual with a preference for men. Even still, I was not 100% comfortable with labelling myself as such because there are many people in my life who I love dearly yet they would not be very tolerant of such an announcement, nor would it be socially acceptable for me with my religion and culture.

Anyways this is getting quite rambley but my point was basically just that this was very eye-opening and I think you're right and I should do more research into different LGBTQ labels (and also just be more comfortable with the idea of not being straight because I'm almost definitely not lol). Thank you again!
Reply 14
Original post by Anonymous #3
tbh I do like chatting with guys cos I'm vain and who doesn't enjoy being pursued, and I also enjoy kissing but that's about the line. Maybe it's cos of how my brothers talk about women and sex that has completely put me off actual sex with men. The worst bit is just how guys would talk to their friends about u after as well and just the horrible stuff groups of guys say. I think if I was insanely attractive and desirable I wouldn't feel like this because men would actually respect me and be intimidated. And if you have control over rejecting or accepting then you wouldn't feel powerless or disrespected. Perhaps we should all try to have massive glow ups and see how our feelings change.
I worry that otherwise people will insinuate the reason I don't like guys is cos noone wants me. Cos most of the guys I know would make that kind of assumption about girls who say they don't like guys ahaha

I completely get where you're coming from. If I'm being honest I do really enjoy chatting to guys too haha, even if I'm not really interested in them but I felt bad so I stopped lol.

As for being insanely attractive and desirable, I'm not sure it really matters tbh bc even the most beautiful, smart, funny and sweet girls can be disrespected, abused and just generally screwed over by guys for no reason (as I have seen first hand with a couple of friends, although they did pick trashy guys, but they still did not deserve it obvs). Even guys who aren't even in relationships with insanely attractive girls treat them as inferior - calling them mid, $l*ts, and spreading lies and rumours about them. For a few famous examples - Margot Robbie being called mid (when she is literally Barbie lmfao), Megan Fox's career being ruined because she was labelled 'difficult to work with' when she just refused to strip for her male coworkers (or something along those lines), and women like Ariana Grande and Taylor Swift etc being labelled wh0r3s and h03s for having had multiple relationships (even though its not s problem for men??)

Anyways that was a bit of a rant haha but basically I know it's a lot easier said than done but do try not to care too much about what other people think, especially guys. Live your life your way - as long as you're not hurting anyone, no one else's opinion matters XD

Hi repulsed!

I too felt as you do about the physical act of sex and spent endless effort imagining how I could avoid it. But I was only about 10 at the time.

Speaking for males, most of us grow out of such fears and sex becomes foremost in our thinking.

So what exactly about the act so completely revolts you?

You say you find a partially undressed man unappealing so presumably a fully undressed man would disgust you, in which case what aspect of boys is it that attracts you?

It might be a good idea to dip your toe in and start with a same sex experience. After all a woman knows more about what can excite you than a boy.

At least then when you are ready you can teach your boyfriends how to pleasure you.
To be honest you probably aren't gay. I am male and have felt like this for years on and off and it has mostly been because I haven't been feeling confident in myself and hanging out with a girl where there is any genuine chemistry. When the chemistry is there and when you are feeling good in yourself you probably won't feel this way. At the moment I am going through a phase where my confidence is low again and although I am attracted to women I feel completely repulsed by sex at the moment to be honest.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending