The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Student finance and the ou

I started my part time studies in Feb 2023 and the first module runs through to Sept 2023 and this was assessed under the 22/23 application period.

My next module is due to start October 2023 and run through to June 2024 and am I right in saying this falls under the 23/24 period, so when part time applications open again in May/June I have to renew my finance online?

The reason for commending next module in October is because all level 2 and 3 modules are October start dates so thought it would be wise to line them all up moving forwards.

OU advisors are giving conflicting info.

Thanks
Oh that sounds great, good Iuck in the OU nothing is easy, and nothing is harder than impossibIe!

In my case, I didn't need to renew between semesters or in this case trimesters studying in the UK however that being said, as a first year student I don't know about renewing student finance from year to year which must suck!

In your shoes, I wouId find out whether the course cIassifies February as the start date, and if the academic year ends on the same academic year by either Iooking through your moduIe handbook or reading more through the course outIine.

Have you tried to ask this question to your course tutor, or your teacher yet? I wouId recommend aIways ask them, as this is technicaIIy stiII a University and foIIow simiIar guideIines too!

I wiII try to update, if I find out anything more! Good Iuck bro!

PS: My I key decided to take hoIiday break, so the I key is doing overtime :smile:
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Does anyone have any thoughts? As SFE said apply every application period, e.g . 22/23, 23/24, etc.

The OU advisor is still insistent there correct.

My tuition fee loan awarded is the price they charge for 60 credits, so surely I have to apply again in the Summer for the module starting in October, so they get paid? (That would be rhe 23/24 application period).
Reply 3
Things can get messy when different start dates are involved. It can become unclear what counts as an "academic year".

The table at the bottom of this page suggests that your academic year might match the calendar year due to your start date:
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/understanding-academic-years

Since you're in contact with both, I would forward the OU's reply to SFE and the SFE's to the OU. Try to get both of them to explain the discrepancy.
Reply 4
Update - it’s because they use seasonal academic years with the OU so because both modules fall in the same year, it means I will be doing 120 credits and this has had to be reported to SFE as a credit change of circumstances.

Moving forwards, I will do one module, running Oct to June as it’s been confirmed all my stage 2 and 3 modules only offer Oct start dates.

Took some digging to get them to tell me all this.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest