The Student Room Group

what are the lowest gcse and a level grades you know of for an oxbridge student

WITHOUT having extenuating/mitigating circumstances
Reply 1
//
A girl I know got 2A* and the rest a mix between A's and B's with the latter being more.
Reply 3
Original post by Gold Phoenix
A girl I know got 2A* and the rest a mix between A's and B's with the latter being more.

thanks, does 6A*s and 4As sound good for someone who went to a bit better than average state school
Original post by JPL9457
thanks, does 6A*s and 4As sound good for someone who went to a bit better than average state school

More than better.

This statistic can be found on Oxfords website:
The mean proportion of A* at GCSE was 0.80; this rose to 0.94 for those short-listed and 0.94 for those applicants made offers. The mean number of total GCSE qualifications offered (not including short courses and other GCSE-equivalent qualifications) was 10.5.
Reply 5
Original post by JPL9457
WITHOUT having extenuating/mitigating circumstances

i achieved a C in English and failed to achieve a single A* at GCSE but i'm still at Cambridge :P.
I got 3 or 4 A's at GCSE, but i destroyed by A-levels.
I also do a lot of other stuff as well though
Reply 6
Original post by Gold Phoenix
More than better.

This statistic can be found on Oxfords website:
The mean proportion of A* at GCSE was 0.80; this rose to 0.94 for those short-listed and 0.94 for those applicants made offers. The mean number of total GCSE qualifications offered (not including short courses and other GCSE-equivalent qualifications) was 10.5.

thanks, what GCSEs and A levels did you get and what are you studying, if you dont mind me asking
Reply 7
Original post by bahjat93
i achieved a C in English and failed to achieve a single A* at GCSE but i'm still at Cambridge :P.
I got 3 or 4 A's at GCSE, but i destroyed by A-levels.
I also do a lot of other stuff as well though

so you did have extenuating circumstances then? and what a levels did you get if you dont mind me asking
Reply 8
I got good GCSEs (7 A* 3A) and AAAC at AS, but got into Cambridge with below average UMS (88%). Dunno if that really means much.
I know someone who went to Oxford who only had Bs, Cs, and Ds at GCSE. Then again, his course wasn't very competitive though.
Reply 10
Original post by NoSpeakNewSpeak
I know someone who went to Oxford who only had Bs, Cs, and Ds at GCSE. Then again, his course wasn't very competitive though.

Do you know what the course was out of interest?
Original post by miser
Do you know what the course was out of interest?

I think he got a place for Earth Sciences or Geology or something like that, but changed to History not long after joining. I know his original course was pretty unpopular at the time. (This was about 5 years ago).
Reply 12
I got 3A*, 2A, 3B, and 1D at GCSE.
Unconditional from Cambridge post A Level :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 13
Original post by Jackkkkk
I got 3A*, 2A, 3B, and 1D at GCSE.
Unconditional from Cambridge post A Level :smile:

what did you get at a level?
Reply 14
Original post by JPL9457
what did you get at a level?

A*A*A* and A* EPQ :smile:
I know someone who got into Cambridge with ABBC at AS level because he smashed the interview, luckyy...bast**d
Reply 16
Original post by Jackkkkk
A*A*A* and A* EPQ :smile:

now that makes a lot of sense lol
Random question but does a Short Course GCSE not count? Well that sucks only 7/9 of my GCSEs will actually be useful qualifications.
Reply 18
Original post by JPL9457
now that makes a lot of sense lol

If you have good AS grades (90+ UMS average) or good A2 results if your post A Level, they really wont look too much at your GCSE grades. UMS, admissions tests and interview take precedence over GCSE grades! Oxford focus more on predictions and GCSE and pre interview tests.

:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending