The Student Room Group

Cambridge Chemistry Challenge

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Blayney
i cant tell you the answer but by now you shouldve come up with quite a few numbers for converting things, you just need to use them in the right way.. just keep trying things, and you shouldnt get a horrible number as a result..

what order iss that normal
Anyone done Rg?
Reply 1422
So my method was: the rule is that in one mole of gas, there is 24 dm^3. This is 0.024 m^3. Also, the standard pressure is 100kPa, 100000 Pa. Pressure * Volume = Energy (because N/m^2 * m^3 = N m) so 0.024 * 100000 = energy(J) = 2400J.

2400J is the equivalent of 4.1*10^-7 barrels of oil, BOE.

The unit of Newtons in terms of temperature is equal to 33/100 of one degree Celsius, and standard conditions (25 degrees C) makes it 8.25 N. The remaining thing to calculate is Glbmol, in which 1 mol is 0.002205 lbmol, thus 2.205*10^-12 Glbmol.

4.1*10^-7/(8.25*(2.205*10^-12)) should be the answer, 22538 BOE N^-1 Glbmol^-1, but it is not.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1423
I've now been looking for what the statue in gold is made of for the past half an hour... Any minor hints as to where to start looking please?
they give you the longditude and latitude for a reason
Reply 1425
Which has come up with a town in Poland? Is that correct?
should be a specific place (but poland is right)
Reply 1427
For Rg I have the right organic product, but it says "balance the equation". Tried adding HCl but that didn't do anything. Anyone who has done it got a hit for me?
Original post by C3L6
I've now been looking for what the statue in gold is made of for the past half an hour... Any minor hints as to where to start looking please?

Can you give me any hints on how to work out Silver? please.....
Reply 1429
Original post by Bello08
For Rg I have the right organic product, but it says "balance the equation". Tried adding HCl but that didn't do anything. Anyone who has done it got a hit for me?

Any hint as to how to get the organic product. I feel a bit clueless at the moment
Reply 1430
Original post by Conan
Any hint as to how to get the organic product. I feel a bit clueless at the moment

I don't want to make it too easy.

1. Do you know what the SMILE means?
2. Do you know who those pictures are of?
Can someone tell me what Glbmol^-1 means for silver?
Stuck on Rote :frown: :frown:
Original post by Me123456789
Can someone tell me what Glbmol^-1 means for silver?

So I'm not the only one still on silver, I've been on it for over an hour now:angry:
Original post by RhiannonEdmunds
Stuck on Rote :frown: :frown:

helllppp whats the answerto silver
Right, the statue's made of salt, and if my maths is right it weighs 324.75 kilos. Solubility of salt in boiling water is about 0.4 kg/L, so the answer in litres is around 812, then convert to mL. Where's this going wrong?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by superchemfreak
helllppp whats the answerto silver

I'm not giving out answers.

Just think of it as a logical process. Convert the unit for one thing into something else. Do it again. And again. And again. You will arrive at the answer for it eventually.

EDIT: I get negged for not giving out the answers? This IS a competition, no matter how light-hearted it is.
(edited 11 years ago)
Anyone done Rg?
Clue for silver (Unless someone already gave it). Glbmol^-1 isn't exactly what you think it is.... try G / lbmol

Gold was awesome, I actually went there last summer. >.<
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Snakefingers13
Right, the statue's made of salt, and if my maths is right it weighs 324.75 kilos. Solubility of salt in boiling water is about 0.4 kg/L, so the answer in litres is around 812, then convert to mL. Where's this going wrong?

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah this is where I am

Quick Reply

Latest