The Student Room Group

Need help test tomorrow and i cant get this.

Find the distance between two points. Solve the equitation with radicals
√x̅²̅̅̅+̅3̅x̅+̅1̅5̅ =x-2

this isn't my homework, this is a problem similar to one on the test that i cannot understand. so if any of you could assist me it would be the best. I don't see any "y" variables in the problem to use the distance formula.
(edited 11 years ago)
You should actually start with punctuation and learn how to write a proper thread title.
Reply 2
bump
Original post by MFShowtime
bump

Please provide a question that someone has a chance of answering before you start to bump. You have either failed to provide the whole thing or your question is nonsensical.
Reply 4
That is what my professor gave me, That is exactly what he wrote on the board. What do you want me to tell him?
Original post by MFShowtime
That is what my professor gave me, That is exactly what he wrote on the board. What do you want me to tell him?

Start by telling him equitation is the art of horse-riding.
Reply 6
ONly sense i can make of this is that the distance would equal to the x value which would solve the equation

just solve it.

square both sides and solve the quadtratic
Original post by Giveme45
ONly sense i can make of this is that the distance would equal to the x value which would solve the equation

just solve it.

square both sides and solve the quadtratic

Where are the radicals man?
Reply 8
Original post by Mr M
Where are the radicals man?

what?
what?

You have to solve the "equitation with radicals" - see the opening post. There is a dearth of radicals (surds) if we follow your method.
Reply 10
Original post by Mr M
You have to solve the "equitation with radicals" - see the opening post. There is a dearth of radicals (surds) if we follow your method.

No idea what you are talking about. As i stated the only sense i make of it is solving the equation for x, which is probably the distance.
No idea what you are talking about. As i stated the only sense i make of it is solving the equation for x, which is probably the distance.

It isn't but never mind.
Reply 12
Original post by Mr M
It isn't but never mind.

Well, then tell me what you think atleast if you claim me to be wrong.
Well, then tell me what you think atleast if you claim me to be wrong.

The question as set does not have an answer. Your "solution" does not satisfy the requirements of the question because it is rational. In any event, if you find the point of intersection between a line and a curve by solving a pair of simultaneous equations, you will inevitably find that the separation distance at that point is zero.
Reply 14
Original post by Mr M
The question as set does not have an answer. Your "solution" does not satisfy the requirements of the question because it is rational. In any event, if you find the point of intersection between a line and a curve by solving a pair of simultaneous equations, you will inevitably find that the separation distance at that point is zero.

You clearly misunderstood my point. I stated that the question as stated does not make much sense and the only possible sense I could make of it is that the distance which we are trying to find would be defined as x. So solving the equation for x, could possibly bring the distance.

Quick Reply

Latest