The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7840
Original post by Helsy
I think my friend from the Scilly Isles travels up to Bristol and then flies from Bristol to Edinburgh and onwards by train from there. During the breaks you don't need to pack stuff up, you're just not allowed in your room. But during the summer, you can put things into storage or take them back with you. Tons of storage facilities advertise around the end of the year.

During winter it is obviously, but with a warm thick coat you don't really notice it. BUt after that typically it can be warmish, though perhaps not as warm as you'd like. But September and May and June can all be pretty warm! :smile:

Brilliant! It's handy that there's lots of storage and stuff. I thought it might be only for people who lived outside of the UK or something. Thank you! :smile:

Original post by oldlady
St Andrews is consistently a degree or two colder than where we live in the south, but in several months has lower rainfall and more hours of sunshine. You can see the annual climate figures here:
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/climate/leuchars#?tab=climateTables

Thank you! That's really helpful. My mum seems to be under the impression that it's similar to being at the North Pole or something!
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 7841
Thank you! That's really helpful. My mum seems to be under the impression that it's similar to being at the North Pole or something!

It's just the wind you need to brace yourself for - my older son (in year 2) says on bad days it's like walking into a brick wall...
Reply 7842
Original post by Mumzi
Ok,accommodation and finance now completed.My daughter has chosen shared accommodation.Do the university give them room mate details before they arrive? I know Durham give students this option.

I'm not sure they do, but in previous years various facebook pages have been started and people post room numbers looking for a match to find their room mate. If you've been allocated a shared room it will have a or b at the end of the usual letter/number code.
Another question about Accommodation here.

If I firmed my offer, and applied for accommodation, will I be able to put down whether or not I want single or shared accommodation? I'm trying to escape sharing a room, so it'd be a big plus if I can mention an extreme preference towards the former.
Reply 7844
Original post by TheFOMaster
Another question about Accommodation here.

If I firmed my offer, and applied for accommodation, will I be able to put down whether or not I want single or shared accommodation? I'm trying to escape sharing a room, so it'd be a big plus if I can mention an extreme preference towards the former.

You can put is as a preference but it is not guaranteed.
Hi guys :smile:
Haven't actually got an offer yet, but I got an email last week saying I should receive one by the end of the week. If I do, I'll have offers from Dundee and St Andrews and will probably go for St Andrews.

Don't suppose anyone knows how much parking permits are, and how easy it is to get one?
I'm not planning on driving around St Andrews, but more for getting around at the weekend, driving home for the holidays and to Edinburgh Airport when my boyfriend visits.
Reply 7846
Does everyone get a red gown? Would it look out of place if I had one? :smile:
Original post by Mumzi
You can put is as a preference but it is not guaranteed.

Cheers! My preferences will be predominantly single halls, so heres hoping :smile:
Reply 7848
Can anyone tell me what the EE phone reception is like in St Andrews?
Reply 7849
Original post by nushi
Can anyone tell me what the EE phone reception is like in St Andrews?

Alright. A couple of buildings can be a pain, conveniently like the physics lecture theatres, but otherwise pretty normal around town. :smile:
Reply 7850
Original post by Helsy
Alright. A couple of buildings can be a pain, conveniently like the physics lecture theatres, but otherwise pretty normal around town. :smile:

Brilliant thanks.
Original post by Eil_C
Does everyone get a red gown? Would it look out of place if I had one? :smile:

A lot of people do buy the gowns during freshers week so you wouldn't look out of place if you bought one. People don't wear them all the time though, if that's what you meant.
Reply 7852
Original post by fifelife
I will be 17 when i start up as well (until january). do people actually check IDs at the pubs/union or just assume that all students are of age?

So will I ! I hope they don't
Guys does anyone know the cheapest way to get to St. Andrews from somewhere like Birmingham?
Also how much would it cost?

Also the accomodation says its 36 weeks.. including spring break (assuming this is easter 2 weeks?) and Christmas.. So what does it not include? Im curious as I know other places has 42 week accomodation

Does this mean I'l have to be travelling to and from St. Andrews a lot? I want somewhere where I have a long enough lease to stay for my studies and not have to come home every break
Reply 7854
Original post by Coolkat
Guys does anyone know the cheapest way to get to St. Andrews from somewhere like Birmingham?
Also how much would it cost?

Also the accomodation says its 36 weeks.. including spring break (assuming this is easter 2 weeks?) and Christmas.. So what does it not include? Im curious as I know other places has 42 week accomodation

Does this mean I'l have to be travelling to and from St. Andrews a lot? I want somewhere where I have a long enough lease to stay for my studies and not have to come home every break

You should be able to just take coach via Edinburgh, but personally (if you book in advance with a 16-25 card) you can get trains via Edinburgh pretty cheap.

The 36 weeks is from the start of Freshers' week to the end of semester 2 exams. So no need to feel kicked out at any point and you have your room for the entire time that you need to be. It might be that our academic year is a tad shorter that some other unis, hence why they offer 42 weeks.
Original post by Helsy
You should be able to just take coach via Edinburgh, but personally (if you book in advance with a 16-25 card) you can get trains via Edinburgh pretty cheap.

The 36 weeks is from the start of Freshers' week to the end of semester 2 exams. So no need to feel kicked out at any point and you have your room for the entire time that you need to be. It might be that our academic year is a tad shorter that some other unis, hence why they offer 42 weeks.

thanks for your reply,
So to clarify.. get a train to Edinburgh and then a coach to St. Andrews? Any idea on hw much this would cost? Also would it be cheaper to get a flight?
Which is the best place to arrive.. Edinburgh or dundee as they are both close to St. Andrews right/

Oh right okay, so are there only 2 semesters at Uni? When does the term end?
Reply 7856
Original post by Coolkat

Semester dates 2013-14 (and for years ahead) are here:
http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/semesterdates/2013-2014/
N.B. people are often caught out by the early start. This year freshers will be checking into their accommodation from Saturday 7th September
Original post by Helsy

Further clarification from FAQs in the accommodation section of the uni website http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/accommodation/ug/faqs/:

[INDENT]"Do I need to empty my room over a holiday period? Please refer to the Resident's Guide [of each hall] as this will depend on the type of accommodation contract which you have.

Self-catered accommodation for Undergraduates include the Christmas and spring vacations. Standard catered and John Burnet Annexe do not include the Christmas vacations. David Russell Apartments is available for the Christmas vacation on a self-catered basis. You can leave your belongings in your room. All Undergraduate contracts include the spring vacation however meals are not provided in catered residences.

All Postgraduate accommodation include both the Christmas and spring vacations. Deans Court is self-catered throughout the Christmas vacation but is catered in spring."
[/INDENT]

If you decide to pursue private accommodation in subsequent years, the leases typically run 10-12 months (which can be a good thing -- if you want to stay or have somewhere for your belongings, or a bad thing -- since you could be paying for time when you aren't even there).
Original post by Coolkat

So to clarify.. get a train to Edinburgh and then a coach to St. Andrews? Any idea on hw much this would cost? Also would it be cheaper to get a flight?
Which is the best place to arrive.. Edinburgh or dundee as they are both close to St. Andrews right/

You might find this helpful, located on the uni website -- http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/visiting/gettingtostandrews/.

Re costs, best thing to do is check out the options to see what works best for your specific travel dates. As Helsey said, the 16-25 Rail Card can really help, as it gives you a 30% discount on fares. Have fun researching!
Reply 7859
Original post by Coolkat
thanks for your reply,

You can take train to Edinburgh and train to Leuchars (from there you take a 15 minute bus ride) or train and then bus/coach etc. You can fly, but ultimately I suspect it won't be any cheaper.

And yes, 2 semesters. September-December and February-May approximately, with exams at the end of each.

Latest

Trending

Trending