The Student Room Group

What jobs can you do with a Politics and Business degree

I have an offer from a redbrick university to study Politics and Business Management. I think I will achieve ABB for my A levels

I want to either work in an accounting firm, graduate business scheme for a retail like John lewis/marks and spencers or work in a big company e.g. Npower or Sky for a graduate scheme preferably something business related.

Are there any graduate schemes who do not really care about your degree but care if you get a 2:1?
Many. Big 4 for example do not care so long as you meet their 2.1 and A-leve/GCSE requirements.
Are you kidding there's barely any jobs available for those jobs
Reply 3
OP I'm a little confused by your thread, but in answer to your question most of the top grad employers don't require a specific degree, and business tends to be well received.

For what it's worth my own history ticks multiple boxes on your list and I'm a business grad.

Original post by ledleyking123
Are you kidding there's barely any jobs available for those jobs

You're claiming there aren't many jobs available to business graduates? On what basis.
Original post by M1011
OP I'm a little confused by your thread, but in answer to your question most of the top grad employers don't require a specific degree, and business tends to be well received.

For what it's worth my own history ticks multiple boxes on your list and I'm a business grad.

You're claiming there aren't many jobs available to business graduates? On what basis.

Just look at the newspapers, look at this forum
Just look at the newspapers, look at this forum

Anecdotal evidence.

If you believe everything you read on the internet and newspapers, you'll never get anywhere in life. Getting a job is about more than your degree, degree is just step 1.
Original post by Tokyoround
Anecdotal evidence.

If you believe everything you read on the internet and newspapers, you'll never get anywhere in life. Getting a job is about more than your degree, degree is just step 1.

yeah but you need a GOOD degree to start step 1.
yeah but you need a GOOD degree to start step 1.

Nothing wrong with Politics and Business. In case you weren't aware, politics is a big part of how an economy operates.
Nothing wrong with Politics and Business. In case you weren't aware, politics is a big part of how an economy operates.

Yeah and incAse you weren't aware politics has ****ed this country up too. No offence but there's plenty of people doing arts/humanities degree so nothing to
Stand them apart from other grads. The end result
Is heaps of rejections and then people post on this forum asking why thy can't find a job - simple answer is poor degree for a start.
Yeah and incAse you weren't aware politics has ****ed this country up too. No offence but there's plenty of people doing arts/humanities degree so nothing to
Is heaps of rejections and then people post on this forum asking why thy can't find a job - simple answer is poor degree for a start.

You appear to have a chip on your shoulder regarding your opinions on politics, don't tar all students with the same brush. Studying an arts/humanities degree does not equate to the sole reason an individual is unemployable. It may be a contributing factor, but it is not the death sentence you see to think it is.

Heaps of rejections is to be expected, finding a job is an uphill struggle, only a lucky few get an offer within the first 5-10 applications, or did an internship and received an offer at the end.

Degree is only one part of your CV, what else has an individual got to offer? So assume HR sits there with two CVs from the same uni, both have similar A-levels/GCSEs, one studied maths got a first but has virtually nothing else on their CV, and the other did Business Management got a 2.1, worked part-time, joined a uni society and has decent experience. Do you really think they would reject the other guy just because he did business management?
Reply 10

Politics and business from a russel group isn't a weak degree. Anyway, people blame their degree when they can't find a job, but more often than not it's not the title on their piece of paper thats the problem.

Out of interest, what degrees would you recommend? Do you have a degree?
Many. Big 4 for example do not care so long as you meet their 2.1 and A-level/GCSE requirements.

Sorry to bump a old thread

Im in the same position but I tempted to change to Business&Maths because Business&Politics doesnt look like it has great employability

If you wanted to apply for any business/finance analyst job/internships would you have any chance of getting accepted, if most people applying for the same job have economics or any other stronger degrees.
Original post by cera ess six

Im in the same position but I tempted to change to Business&Maths because Business&Politics doesnt look like it has great employability

If you wanted to apply for any business/finance analyst job/internships would you have any chance of getting accepted, if most people applying for the same job have economics or any other stronger degrees.

Yes you do have a chance, depends on your uni abs the rest of your background I.e. sports hobbies etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
So I am probably going to Politics with Business Management degree next year what sort of work experience would look great on a CV?

In the future I want to either work in the civil service, business analyst at a company like BT, or British Gas, council work perhaps and possibly law.
Original post by cera ess six

What degree are you doing at the moment?
Original post by ineedtorevise127
What degree are you doing at the moment?

Business&Politics, I still got time to change to Business&Maths if I want to.
Reply 16
Bad luck, waste of 9 grand
Yes you do have a chance, depends on your uni abs the rest of your background I.e. sports hobbies etc

Posted from TSR Mobile

the university is Aston.. ive read that it has a really good business school but I dont know how that helps in terms of employability
Reply 18

An ability to write properly is necessary for any decent job.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending