The Student Room Group

Using 'and' instead of 'an'

So this is something I've seen a lot recently, on Facebook, TSR and even on notices around school. People who use 'and' when they mean 'an', just in normal sentences, like "I've got and apple".

Why do people do this!? It's two of the most simple, everyday words and people use them in a way which doesn't make any sense.

I know it's a tiny thing that most people wouldn't even care about, and neither would I normally but I've seen it so much recently, I don't get it... Is it something to do with autocorrect maybe? :s-smilie:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I've never noticed it.
Just a simple mistake
Reply 3
Just a minor grammar mistake.
Why do people do this!? It's two of the most simple, everyday words and people use them in a way which doesn't make any sense.

Because they're stupid.
Reply 5
When people say 'of' instead of 'have'... eg: "I should of done it".. That drives me mad...
Reply 6
Original post by YThursday
When people say 'of' instead of 'have'... eg: "I should of done it".. That drives me mad...

I can't say I of noticed
Original post by bestofyou
I can't say I of noticed

Of'nt you? I of.
Reply 8
Original post by ForgetMe
Just a minor grammar mistake.

This.

If you're human, you'll do (some simple) errors.

Unless you're ANd robot :teehee:
Reply 9
Could be an autocorrect if they're on tablet/mobile? My phone has given me some really random stuff in the past.

If not, then they're ****ing idiots and need to sort themselves out... :tongue:
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by NathanM

If not, then they're ****ing idiots and need to sort themselves out... :tongue:
Posted from TSR Mobile

We in the animal kingdom don't call others "idiots".
I thought that was agreed upon during the House of Tigers and Penguins debates? :mad:
Original post by kka25
This.

If you're human, you'll do (some simple) errors.

Unless you're ANd robot :teehee:

You do know that you shouldn't use 'and' or 'an' there right? It should be a.....

Posted from TSR Mobile
It annoys the hell out of me -__-
Reply 13
Original post by manchesterunited15
So this is something I've seen a lot recently, on Facebook, TSR and even on notices around school. People who use 'and' when they mean 'an', just in normal sentences, like "I've got and apple".

I know it's a tiny thing that most people wouldn't even care about, and neither would I normally but I've seen it so much recently, I don't get it... Is it something to do with autocorrect maybe? :s-smilie:

I have not noticed this either. But I'd guess, if typing on the internet, it's mostly down to automatic correction... the dictionary thinks and is more likely.

For signs in your school though, I dunno :/ And I'd be really surprised if I heard someone say it out loud; it's not part of a dialect I've ever heard.

xxx
Reply 14
Your and you're always annoy the hell out of me.
never seen anyone mistake 'an' for 'and'- even really stupid people. More often see people mistake 'an' for 'a' e.g. "i want a egg"
Reply 16
Sometimes my fingers type extra letters that I don't need just because they're used to it. I often get 'ly' on the end of words like actual if I'm typing fast. For some reason I also always seem to end up with sould instead of soul. I can't explain that one.
Reply 17
Because you're used to typing 'and' so you automatically add the extra 'd'. Simple mistake.

To do with muscle memory I imagine.
Original post by YThursday

So many things like that are maddening! The one that really gets me is when someone says…”I’m so sorry for your lose or lost” instead of loss!
Original post by deedee123
never seen anyone mistake 'an' for 'and'- even really stupid people. More often see people mistake 'an' for 'a' e.g. "i want a egg"

I see it all the time and it is very annoying.

Latest