The Student Room Group

Sixth form won't let me do sciences.

Scroll to see replies

It is a struggle mate, but not impossible. I got low B at GCSE for all sciences, but I applied myself more at A levels and now I am achieving a B/A.

But, it required a lot of HARD HARD WORK AND SELF MOTIVATION
Original post by sean170296
I wasn't too pleased with my results when I received them in August. I went to sixth form but all I really want to do is science and maths. In my GCSE's I got:
Biology: C (4 from a B)
Chemistry: C (3 from a B)
Physics: B
Maths: A (5 from an A*)
English Language: C
English Literature: C (1 from a B)
Religious Studies: D (1 from a C)
Drama: B
BTEC ICT: Distinction x 4
GCSE ICT: B (A* in exam and C in coursework)
General Studies: E (Had 4 weeks to do the whole course on half an hour a week)

My school wouldn't remark the papers that were like a few marks from the grade above because I was moving schools for sixth form which was a shame as I really wanted to do sciences a levels. I'm starting to miss it more and more though and I don't know what to do!

For A level I'm doing:
Maths
Business Studies
Applied ICT

i don't see any point in doing them if I don't like them but my school won't let me do sciences a level on BCC. Advice anyone? Thank you in advance!

You wont need all 3 sciences for your career.

I would recommend picking out 2 that you'll need. For example; if you want to do Engineering, do Physics over the summer and perhaps FurtherMaths if you think you are capable. If your college wont let you enter them all you have to do is get another college who accepts external candidates. You could just sit all the exams at the end of A2 and then take a gap year. :smile:

There are always compromises.
Reply 22
I wasn't too pleased with my results when I received them in August. I went to sixth form but all I really want to do is science and maths. In my GCSE's I got:

My school wouldn't remark the papers that were like a few marks from the grade above because I was moving schools for sixth form which was a shame as I really wanted to do sciences a levels. I'm starting to miss it more and more though and I don't know what to do!

For A level I'm doing:
Maths
Business Studies
Applied ICT

i don't see any point in doing them if I don't like them but my school won't let me do sciences a level on BCC. Advice anyone? Thank you in advance!

The school is capable of not allowing you to do sciences. But, they don't have rights over your exam papers. If you wanted remarks, the school can have a say if they so demand, but if you pay for it, you can do it alone and that's what you should have done. My school has a "have to get B at GCSE" policy, which perhaps your school does too? Science difficulty really bumps up a whole lot at A level. Given, so does every subject, but the general opinion is that Science subjects difficulty among a few others increase just that degree more. Things get a lot more complicated, not just harder to get marks and grasp the content.

Therefore, I hate to say it and I apologise, but I think you might have struggled with science subjects anyway. Maths is a science subject too, and Business studies and ICT are related to that mathematical world, so you can't be too unhappy?

If you're really unhappy and really think you want to genuinely do the three sciences, then your option is to start fresh in September in Lower 6th doing the new A levels. I wouldn't recommend the hassle and time waste though. I'd power through with your subjects and finish them. You could take up AS levels next year externally if you long for science, but that's lots of extra work.
My school don't do politics and law and you have to have a B in GCSE geography to do it as an AS

i don't like the sound of your school, no offense :frown: how about history? Although it is one of the hardest a-levels it can be quite enjoyable to some extent.
Reply 24
I got AB in double science award at GCSE. I also got an A in GCSE Maths. I was only aloud to do one science for A level because they said I wouldn't be able to cope, now I understand why. :rolleyes:
Reply 25
Original post by Forget that
i don't like the sound of your school, no offense :frown: how about history? Although it is one of the hardest a-levels it can be quite enjoyable to some extent.

They also want history as a requirement for AS. I wish I'd have chosen better GCSE options now!
They also want history as a requirement for AS. I wish I'd have chosen better GCSE options now!

I think it's ridiculous. my gcses were all the 'fun' subjects- but thankfully for a-level i still got to do the respected ones. At the end of the day you've got maths; economics is supposed to be numerically minded people's joy. They can't say no to that surely.
Reply 27

For A level I'm doing:
Maths
Business Studies
Applied ICT

If you're not too far off what you need to do them at sixth form you could resit the GCSE modules you did worst in to improve the overall grade. I did that this year in Chemistry Unit 3 and almost went up two grades from a C to an A. I found it much easier this time too, because there wasn't 10 other subjects to concentrate on like in the summer. However, i'd advise you get a personal tutor, as you'd find if you do decide to resit that you've forgotten chunks of required information, which is easy to recall with the help of a tutor. Good luck.
Original post by LadyHaha
If you want my honest opinion, I think you'd struggle at A level science - even if your school did let you get those remarked and they went up, it would be a B at a scrape - you need to be getting comfortable As to excel at A level. Physics might not have been so bad with your A in Maths though :smile: Are you allowed to do Economics instead of Business Studies - it's more mathsy, so you'll probably enjoy it more... If I were you, I'd have tried doing: Maths, Physics and Economics.

This is similar to my situation but my school won't let me in sixth form, and they want to go to another sixth form, check out my thread too!
You got C, C and B.
To do ANY science at A-level, you need a B in the Science you want to do, PLUS a B in ANOTHER science. As you didn't get any other B's, this is why they didn't let you do science.
Reply 30
So everyone who thinks I should go for sciences thinks I should move somewhere else like college. That another problem, a good FE college is about an hour on the bus there and back and my mum doesn't want me to go there, she thinks I should continue my studies. How would I convince her to let me go to the interview on Tuesday? All suggestions appreciated!
Reply 31
Original post by sully50sully
This is similar to my situation but my school won't let me in sixth form, and they want to go to another sixth form, check out my thread too!

Is there a link to your thread?
Reply 32
I got a B in GCSE science and I struggled so much with A Level (coming out with an E in biology) perhaps discuss any possibility of doing the courses as long as you work harder in them. You can also do access courses in sciences my friend is currently doing an access course to physics at The Manchester college. :smile: You'll be able to find an alternative route into what you want to study! Don't always look at A levels :smile:
Reply 33
It's alright, I've decided to leave sixth form at the end of the year and aim to go to college to do maths, biology, chemistry and psychology, the college have accepted me as I have mitigating circumstances (I was mugged the day before my exams so my head was fryed when I was in the exams and I couldn't think and with my predictions as AAA, they've decided to let me on the course! YAY!
I got B's in my science GCSE's and a B in A Level Biology. If you're willing to put the work in, you can always get a reasonable grade.
Reply 35
Original post by slacker07906
I got B's in my science GCSE's and a B in A Level Biology. If you're willing to put the work in, you can always get a reasonable grade.

Reply 36
I got a B in biology gcse and a C in chemistry gcse. I carried both on to a level with Maths (which I got an A in), Psychology (dropped at AS) and Gen Studies. I'm hoping to get 4 B's and study chemistry at degree level. :smile:
When I was at an interview I did get asked why I only got BCC in my gcse sciences which was awkward but I still got all 5 offers (ranging from AAB to BBB).
Reply 37
It's alright, I've decided to leave sixth form at the end of the year and aim to go to college to do maths, biology, chemistry and psychology, the college have accepted me as I have mitigating circumstances (I was mugged the day before my exams so my head was fryed when I was in the exams and I couldn't think and with my predictions as AAA, they've decided to let me on the course! YAY!

Congratulations and good luck!

xxx
Reply 38
Had an interview with the college today. They've allowed me to do

Biology
Chemistry
Maths
Psychology

soo happy!
I suspect you would have regretted not switching, so well done for going for it. As others have said, it will involve a lot of hard work and perseverance, but if you really want to study sciences than that's what you'll need to do. It would probably be time well spent to do some background prep etc. before you restart in the autumn.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending