The Student Room Group

My A-Level choices!

Hi, for my A-levels I have chosen

A-Level - Health and Social Care
A-Level - ICT
BTEC A-Level - Medical Science (Double)

and also I will be doing my A-Level in Turkish. Are these good choices?
Reply 1
Depends what you want to go onto after a-levels tbh.. For me it had to be all A-levels, not BTEC's. Maybe more 'academic' subjects if you are looking to something academic at uni, what are you thinking about doing after A-levels?
Reply 2
Original post by afcnew14
Depends what you want to go onto after a-levels tbh.. For me it had to be all A-levels, not BTEC's. Maybe more 'academic' subjects if you are looking to something academic at uni, what are you thinking about doing after A-levels?

Going to university and hoping to study an ODP course!
Not really, no.
Reply 4
Original post by cestlavie10
Not really, no.

Why is that if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 5
Original post by sully50sully

Look at the entry requirements for university's offering the ODP course... It will ask for a certain qualifications or a certain amount of UCAS point.
but if I'm honest I would try and take more highly regarded subject as this will give you an edge when applying for your course.
ICT and H&SC won't keep your options very open as they are traditionally 'blacklisted' by university admissions. And I am not quite sure on what a BTEC in Medical Science entails but I know that if you were planning to go down the Medial or Science route then A-levels in at least two of Chemistry, Biology, Physics and Maths would be better than a BTEC.
Reply 7
Also i would like to add The entry requirements for Birmingham university "GCE A/A2 Level 200 UCAS tariff points from a maximum of three A/A2 level passes. A typical offer would be CDD. General Studies and Critical Thinking excluded."
i think it would be beneficial to take a science at alevels, CDD is quite low so pretty achievable imo

EDIT: https://www.bcu.ac.uk/courses/operating-department-practice
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by afcnew14
Also i would like to add The entry requirements for Birmingham university "GCE A/A2 Level 200 UCAS tariff points from a maximum of three A/A2 level passes. A typical offer would be CDD. General Studies and Critical Thinking excluded."
i think it would be beneficial to take a science at alevels, CDD is quite low so pretty achievable imo

EDIT: https://www.bcu.ac.uk/courses/operating-department-practice

I am thinking to go to sheffield hallam
http://www.shu.ac.uk/prospectus/course/599/entry/
and also would english be an good A-level? or if so which one should I do Lit or Language
Reply 9
Out of interest, if I did Biology, Maths, History would these be poor choices for A2 regardless of how I do as they don't really compliment each other.
Reply 10

A-Level - ICT

I agree with this person:

Original post by cestlavie10
ICT and H&SC won't keep your options very open as they are traditionally 'blacklisted' by university admissions. And I am not quite sure on what a BTEC in Medical Science entails but I know that if you were planning to go down the Medial or Science route then A-levels in at least two of Chemistry, Biology, Physics and Maths would be better than a BTEC.

Apart from H&S would probably be quite relevant for your course, but I'm not sure how much it would overlap with your BTEC - it sounds like potentially quite a lot, but not as much as Business Studies and Economics, for example.

would english be an good A-level? or if so which one should I do Lit or Language

English would be a really good A level to have - out of my friends who take it, Lit and Lang (one course, as opposed to either Eng lang or Eng lit) gets the best review, so I'd choose that.

If I were you, I'd do: English Lang/lit, H&S or Medical Science, ICT, and a science/ maths would probably be preferable - have you considered Biology? I would also advise you to drop ICT, as that would become the least relevant after AS level.
I've never understood why we are made to do General Studies or Critical Thinking when they're pointless qualifications, waste of time that could be spent doing something a bit more useful.

Back on topic, your choices are really odd if I'm honest, they have no straight track. Health and Social Care with Medical Science makes sense, however ICT doesn't come in anywhere in this and Turkish doesn't either but you're probably only doing it as it's your language.

If you want a science or medical future you should do Biology, Medical Science and Health and Social Care as well as a more related subject such as Psychology. If you want a more IT related carrer then just ICT won't cover it.
Checked out the website, what you're doing is fine. As long as you keep doing work experience during half term in a hospice or hospital. Shadowing in nursing school is a good one too.

Good luck with A levels :smile:

PS - Make sure you get 240 UCAS points or higher!

A-Level - ICT

I am thinking to go to sheffield hallam
http://www.shu.ac.uk/prospectus/course/599/entry/
and also would english be an good A-level? or if so which one should I do Lit or Language

:lolwut: Explain??
Reply 14
Original post by LadyHaha
I agree with this person:

Apart from H&S would probably be quite relevant for your course, but I'm not sure how much it would overlap with your BTEC - it sounds like potentially quite a lot, but not as much as Business Studies and Economics, for example.

English would be a really good A level to have - out of my friends who take it, Lit and Lang (one course, as opposed to either Eng lang or Eng lit) gets the best review, so I'd choose that.

If I were you, I'd do: English Lang/lit, H&S or Medical Science, ICT, and a science/ maths would probably be preferable - have you considered Biology? I would also advise you to drop ICT, as that would become the least relevant after AS level.

I really wanted to do biology but the school won't let me do it because they forced me to do BTEC Science for GCSE and I am not very good at maths. But I am not sure about English won't it be hard? and my school called the uni about these options they said they are ok but they want me to get 280 ucas points and they also said that ICT will be very useful as it will help me with the course they also said that they use a lot of ict. btw the uni also said they advise me to do gcse science along with my a-levels, they said they accept my btec science but doing a gcse in science would give me the edge when applying.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by NidaJaffri
Checked out the website, what you're doing is fine. As long as you keep doing work experience during half term in a hospice or hospital. Shadowing in nursing school is a good one too.

Good luck with A levels :smile:

PS - Make sure you get 240 UCAS points or higher!

I will be getting 240 points just from medical as it is a double option and I have already done work experience in a care home with people who have dementia and I have finished doing it on friday.
Good choice for your a levels

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 17
I really wanted to do biology but the school won't let me do it because they forced me to do BTEC Science for GCSE and I am not very good at maths. But I am not sure about English won't it be hard? and my school called the uni about these options they said they are ok but they want me to get 280 ucas points and they also said that ICT will be very useful as it will help me with the course they also said that they use a lot of ict. btw the uni also said they advise me to do gcse science along with my a-levels, they said they accept my btec science but doing a gcse in science would give me the edge when applying.

A levels are hard, but just make sure you work solidly throughout the year, and read around, and ask for help when you need it - vital. Good move checking with the university - I'd take up their advice and go for it, if your college lets you :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by LadyHaha
A levels are hard, but just make sure you work solidly throughout the year, and read around, and ask for help when you need it - vital. Good move checking with the university - I'd take up their advice and go for it, if your college lets you :smile:

ok

Quick Reply

Latest