The Student Room Group

Edexcel C3,C4 June 2013 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The Guide.
Same position as you mate... What grades do you need for uni and what have you applied for?

I applied to do maths. I've firmed Warwick and insured KCL. To get into Warwick, I need A*A*A + 2 in STEP/ Distinction in AEA :s-smilie:. To get into KCL in need AAA. What did you apply for and what do need to meet your offers?
Original post by masryboy94
well i'll write up the whole question since you will probably need it:

12) Referred to a fixed origin O, the points A,B and C have position vectors (9,-2,1), (6,2,6) and (3,p,q) respectively, where p and q are constants.

a) find, in vector form, an equation of the line L which passes through A and B. (answer - r = (9,-2,1) + t(-3,4,5).

b) Find the value of p and the value of q. (answer - p=6, q=11).

c) Calculate, in degrees, the acute angle between OC and AB. (answer - 39.8 degrees).

d) The point D lies on AB and is such that OD is perpendicular to AB. Find the position vector of D. ??????????!!!!!!!! :confused:

Which part of it are you stuck with?

Oh sorry I just woke up didn't read it well. so part d right? Okay, let me just do it quickly and I'll attach the solution
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by nukethemaly
Which part of it are you stuck with?

part d, not sure how to get the position vector :frown:

Oh sorry I just woke up didn't read it well. so part d right? Okay, let me just do it quickly and I'll attach the solution

thank you !
Reply 504
Original post by Better
Good idea mate! Will do all of the difficult topics for c3/c4 by friday then start going through all the solomon press stuff as well.

Hit me on my wall wanna see how it goes! We can keep tabs on each other

Ooh! I'd like to scrape in and say I desperately need an A* for my offer at Bham and am most hopeful in getting it in Maths! Do you mind if I asked you questions on the Solomon/real papers?

Good luck to us all! :smile:
thank you !

Here you are!
Here you are!

thank you so much !!!! :eek: REPPED !
thank you so much !!!! :eek: REPPED !

I hope its easy to follow through. These questions are usually for 6 marks in the exam paper, so worth learning the format :smile:
I hope its easy to follow through. These questions are usually for 6 marks in the exam paper, so worth learning the format :smile:

don't think you could've explained and laid it out any better tbh lol :wink::tongue: so thank you very much !
Reply 509
Original post by sounique
Ooh! I'd like to scrape in and say I desperately need an A* for my offer at Bham and am most hopeful in getting it in Maths! Do you mind if I asked you questions on the Solomon/real papers?

Good luck to us all! :smile:

Yeah you can hit me up on my wall too mate, we can see how far we are both going on number of Papers each week - if you want.

But people here are really helpful too, just throw up a comment of what you don't get and most people will help explain it
Reply 510

Nukethemaly is awesome!!
Original post by Better
Nukethemaly is awesome!!

hell yeaa buddy
Reply 512
Original post by Better
Yeah you can hit me up on my wall too mate, we can see how far we are both going on number of Papers each week - if you want.

But people here are really helpful too, just throw up a comment of what you don't get and most people will help explain it

Sweet! Cheers, how many papers are you averaging per week?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by brittanna
I applied to do maths. I've firmed Warwick and insured KCL. To get into Warwick, I need A*A*A + 2 in STEP/ Distinction in AEA :s-smilie:. To get into KCL in need AAA. What did you apply for and what do need to meet your offers?

Hello , pls can I ask u a quick question regarding c4 ? Do we have to know the trapezium rule for c4 ? I saw it in a couple of the Elmwood Papers, but was wondering if we had to actually know it for the real exam? Thanks for all ur help! :smile:
Reply 514
Original post by sechdent8
hey guys i got a question about C4. I was doing EX 6E in the new edexcel book page 100. I've been told this is integration by recognition however a couple of people have told me to learn integration by substitution first and then use this exercise as practise? Is this is a good idea? The examples before the exercise seem to use a weird method... Please help
Thanks

I'm abroad so my C4 book is halfway around the world...but I think I can guess which exercise you mean :colondollar: if its the one that I think it is then yeah its all about looking at what can be differentiated to give the given equation and then trying it out and multiplying by a constant to give the correct answer. I think the whole point is to show that sometimes this is a quicker method, and also that you can always check your answer by differentiating it and seeing if it works :smile:

Tbh you can use this as substitution practise but i'd use it as practice for 'integration by recognition' so that you get practice for it :smile:

Lemme know if you need any help with this exercise :smile:
Reply 515
Original post by sounique
Sweet! Cheers, how many papers are you averaging per week?

By the end of this week 15th April. I want 4 D1 done, C4 3, C3 2 (Solomon Press for D1)

Then Will aim to do 2 a week until the exam under timed conditions. Focusing on my weaknesses ideally on the same day.
Here you are!

But either give the position vector as a column vector with no i, j or k, or in the form ai+bj+ck

Your mixed coordinate/vector is likely to lose the final mark.
Reply 517
Original post by laurawoods
Hello , pls can I ask u a quick question regarding c4 ? Do we have to know the trapezium rule for c4 ? I saw it in a couple of the Elmwood Papers, but was wondering if we had to actually know it for the real exam? Thanks for all ur help! :smile:

If you're doing Edexcel maths then yes you have to learn the trapezium rule, everything you need to know is listed in the specification: http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/GCE%20New%20GCE/UA024850%20GCE%20in%20Mathematics%20issue%202%20180510.pdf
Reply 518
Original post by tiny hobbit
But either give the position vector as a column vector with no i, j or k, or in the form ai+bj+ck

I still don't understand vectors :frown: have you got any notes you could please share?
Original post by tiny hobbit

Oh yeah! Thank you! I was going to give it as column but I think I ran out of space and kinda forgot the other way to put it haha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending