The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Official rosebery hall 2013-2014 accommodation thread

Dear students,

This is the OFFICIAL ROSEBERY HALL ACCOMMODATION THREAD, run by the Rosebery Student Committee of 2013-2014.

If you have any problems or queries please feel free to post them on this thread, and we will get back to you ASAP.

We also have a Facebook group called ' LSE Rosebery Hall 2013-2014 official group', which has a comprehensive list of FAQs.

We have also produced an introduction video, which can be found on youtube by searching ' LSE Rosebery Hall introduction and Information Video'.

~-~- Please be wary of fake ' LSE Freshers' Facebook groups. These have not been set up by the student union, but by promoters who are trying to con freshers into buying tickets for their events ~-~-

Thanks very much for reading, and good luck for your exams!

I hope that revision is going well.

San
( Rosebery President )
Reply 1
Original post by RoseberyHall
Dear students,

This is the OFFICIAL ROSEBERY HALL ACCOMMODATION THREAD, run by the Rosebery Student Committee of 2013-2014.

If you have any problems or queries please feel free to post them on this thread, and we will get back to you ASAP.

We also have a Facebook group called ' LSE Rosebery Hall 2013-2014 official group', which has a comprehensive list of FAQs.

We have also produced an introduction video, which can be found on youtube by searching ' LSE Rosebery Hall introduction and Information Video'.

~-~- Please be wary of fake ' LSE Freshers' Facebook groups. These have not been set up by the student union, but by promoters who are trying to con freshers into buying tickets for their events ~-~-

Thanks very much for reading, and good luck for your exams!

I hope that revision is going well.

San
( Rosebery President )

Your video is amazing, really hope I'm allocated Rosebery!!!

edit

also, when do we find out???
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Ah I'm glad you liked it :smile:

It depends on when you sent off your application.

Offers for accommodation have started being allocated... It's on a first come first serve basis.

Good luck!
~San
Reply 3
Ah I'm glad you liked it :smile:

It depends on when you sent off your application.

Offers for accommodation have started being allocated... It's on a first come first serve basis.

Good luck!
~San

Do you mean offers for the most over-subscribed halls are on a first-come first-serve basis? Or that the sooner you send off your application, the quicker you get an allocation?
Reply 4
Original post by DaleDoback
Do you mean offers for the most over-subscribed halls are on a first-come first-serve basis? Or that the sooner you send off your application, the quicker you get an allocation?

As far as i'm aware, both.

Every undergraduate student is guaranteed accommodation.

Some halls have more demand than others, and so the faster you get your application off for these halls, the more chance you have of getting your number one choice.

Once all the places are filled for a certain hall, i.e. your fist choice of hall, you will then be allocated to your second choice and if that is full, third.

So the earlier you send off your application, the quicker you should hear back and the more chance you have of getting your first choice of accommodation.

Rosebery is one of the most over-subscribed halls!

I hope that's clear!

Thanks
~San.
Reply 5
If I select Rosebery as my first choice but select 40 weeks as my preferred lease agreement, would that limit my chances of getting into Rosebery? I've read that there are some rooms for undergrads in the mostly postgrad Myddelton Wing.
Reply 6
http://www2.lse.ac.uk/lifeAtLSE/accommodation/forStudents/allocation/allocation.aspx

according to their website it's a "lottery" system and not first come frist serve...?
Reply 7
Original post by TPJY
http://www2.lse.ac.uk/lifeAtLSE/accommodation/forStudents/allocation/allocation.aspx

according to their website it's a "lottery" system and not first come frist serve...?

This is strange, i have been given different information to what's on the website. I'll find out for you and let you know!

Apologies for that!
Reply 8
Original post by jco19
If I select Rosebery as my first choice but select 40 weeks as my preferred lease agreement, would that limit my chances of getting into Rosebery? I've read that there are some rooms for undergrads in the mostly postgrad Myddelton Wing.

Hi,

Unfortunately i'm not sure how this case would affect your application - i can't imagine it would do so.

And yes, the 40 week standard contracts are for the Myddelton Wing.

Don't worry though, it's closely connected to the Rosebery Wing, and we share all our events and what not.

~San.
Reply 9
Dear all,

Unfortunately we get as much information about accommodation as you do, so it's difficult for us to add what's already in place.

It seems as i have been misinformed about the accommodation process, i will double check this for you.

If you have any burning questions however, it is possible for us to contact residential services.

If you have any specific Rosebery related questions, we can definitely answer those!

Thanks,
~San.
Reply 10
Dear all,

Unfortunately we get as much information about accommodation as you do, so it's difficult for us to add what's already in place.

It seems as i have been misinformed about the accommodation process, i will double check this for you.

If you have any burning questions however, it is possible for us to contact residential services.

If you have any specific Rosebery related questions, we can definitely answer those!

Thanks,
~San.

Thanks for the clarification. If the allocation system is first come first serve then I doubt I'll get Rosebery since I'm a London applicant (meaning that I'm not allocated accommodation until after the end of May.) :s-smilie: I'm still going to consider Rosebery so I'd like to know: what is the surrounding area to Rosebery like? Also, does the student team run many social events during Freshers and beyond?

Thanks
Reply 11
Original post by DaleDoback
Thanks for the clarification. If the allocation system is first come first serve then I doubt I'll get Rosebery since I'm a London applicant (meaning that I'm not allocated accommodation until after the end of May.) :s-smilie: I'm still going to consider Rosebery so I'd like to know: what is the surrounding area to Rosebery like? Also, does the student team run many social events during Freshers and beyond?

Thanks

IS ROSEBERY SOCIABLE?

Yes, every year it is one of the most if not the most sociable halls. The layout is also conducive to meeting people; wherever you go outside your room you’ll usually pass a few greetings. Throughout its years, Rosebery has been renowned probably more than any other halls for its social aspect - this may or may not have adverse effects on work ethic, however...

DOES THE SIZE PREVENT IT FROM BEING SOCIABLE?

Not in the slightest. In general everyone knows everyone at Rosebery, but if you want to hideaway in your room there’s still scope for that.

THE SOCIAL LIFE SEEMS VERY CLUBBING/DRINKING RELATED?

No, not at all! As well as our club nights we have done various other activities. Rosebery have watched two musicals: Les Mis, and Wicked, laughed at live stand up comedy at the world famous Comedy Store and also experienced the spookiness of London Dungeons. Rosebery also embraced its international culture by celebrating Eid, Divali and the Spring Festival. What's more, this year 'The Rosebery Games' brought together over 80 competitors in various professions such as : Fifa, Table Tennis, Pool and Table Football! We can assure you, regardless of your taste, you will enjoy the dynamic social life at Rosebery!

WHAT IS THE AREA AROUND ROSEBERY LIKE?

Rosebery is situated in a truly amazing and vibrant area of London. Islington is known to be a young, trendy area, with numerous bars, cafes and restaurants (most importantly, two spoons’ close by!). Furthermore, we have the world-famous Sadler’s Wells Theatre about a 1 minute walk from Rosebery, and the world-famous Urdang dance school about a 30 second walk in the opposite direction.

Better still, we have the second biggest club in London Fabric a 10 minute walk from us, and what is called ‘London’s biggest indie night’ Propaganda club, also a 10 minute walk from us. That is situated in the O2 Academy, which also hosts many front-line gigs from well-known bands.

A 2 minute walk away also lies Exmouth market, which is supposed to be a very well known market in London and has a range of outdoor cultural food stalls, lots of nice restaurants, and other random cool stuff.

It’s a relatively safe area in London in general Boris Johnson lives pretty close (not that that makes it any safer), and we’re fairly central if not a tad east.

WHAT ARE THE BATHROOMS LIKE?

The bathrooms are newly refurbished and cleaned regularly. There is a guys bathroom and a girls bathroom on each floor, each with two toilets and three showers.

WHAT ARE THE ROOMS LIKE?

The rooms are fairly small but quite square shaped, which is great as a lot of people find the narrowness of somewhere like High Holborn a bit anti-social. You get a desk, lamp, internal phone, Ethernet port (there is also wireless, although it can be slower), bed, and some cupboards and stuff. Oh yeah and a big cork noticeboard to put up to do lists that you’ll never do.

WHAT OTHER FACILITIES?

We have a piano room, a spacious bar area known as the “Tipsy Beaver” which includes a brand new state of the art pool table, a table football table and a tabletennis table; a large canteen area which is also great for late night parties as it’s open 24 hours a day; a spacious and comfy TV room with Sky, a DVD player, a PS3 and some books & board games that I've never seen anyone use; communal washing machines, dryers and irons.

If the library seems unappealing, there is also a computer room with printer which is open 24 hours a day. This is great for studying when you want a bit of peace and quiet.

HOW FAR ARE WE FROM LSE?

LSE is a 20-25 minute walk from Rosebery. It includes traversing Lincolns Inn Field, where there are beautiful buildings, scenic grounds, and ridiculously priced cars.

There are also convenient bus links. The 19, 38, and 341 all take you to the LSE campus. The bus stop is a 30 second walk from the hall. This method reduces travelling time by around 10 minutes.

There is also a Barclays bike stand a minutes walk outside Rosebery, and there are lots of bays in and around the LSE area for you to park the bike. Cycling takes less than 10 minutes.

WHERE CAN I GET MORE INFORMATION?

Stay tuned, we'll be releasing a video shortly which has every aspect of Rosebery hall explained!
Feel free to post and questions, and we'll update the FAQs as we go along :smile:

The above is from the FAQs on the Facebook page. Please also look at our video on YouTube, that has loads more info.

~San
Reply 12
Hi guys,

So yeah, accommodation is on a lottery system as on the official website.
I've been in touch with the accommodation office and I'm working with them to improve the FAQs so they are more explanatory rather than just descriptive. They're also adding a few more FAQs so that it's more of a complete information source.

Sorry about the false information before.

Has anyone got their offers through? :smile:

~San x
Reply 13
Hi there!
I have accepted an offer for Rosebery hall but they haven't specified whether the offer is for the Rosebery wing or the Myddelton wing. I am a postgrad, and the contract is for 40 weeks - although I had asked for a 31 week contract.
Does that mean that I'm the Myddelton wing? How can I know for sure?
Thanks in advance! :smile:
Reply 14
Hello!

As far as we've been told, 40 week contracts are for the Myddelton wing. What's more, if you are a postgrad, you will (in most cases) be made an offer for Myddelton.

If you'd like to get in touch with administration via :[email protected] to confirm the above fact and get some peace of mind, please do so.

Thanks very much, and apologies for the slightly delayed reply!

~San.

Original post by SandrineF
Hi there!
I have accepted an offer for Rosebery hall but they haven't specified whether the offer is for the Rosebery wing or the Myddelton wing. I am a postgrad, and the contract is for 40 weeks - although I had asked for a 31 week contract.
Does that mean that I'm the Myddelton wing? How can I know for sure?
Thanks in advance! :smile:
Reply 15
Hi! I was just wondering about the 31 week contract - do you have storage space for our stuff over Christmas and Easter? If so, would this be free of charge? Thanks so much!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending