The Student Room Group

Edexcel C3,C4 June 2013 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 600
Was there a range question in any of the textbooks in a similar style which was given in the 2013 paper??
i don't think so, but i can definitely remember a similar one on a soloman paper, cant remember which one
Reply 602
Original post by masryboy94
i don't think so, but i can definitely remember a similar one on a soloman paper, cant remember which one

Just went through them theres only like 3 range questions but they were all basic 1/2 mark ones
Reply 603
anyone have any idea how to express this as a partial fraction ...

7x^2+2x-2 / x^2(x+1)
Original post by Gekko123
anyone have any idea how to express this as a partial fraction ...

7x^2+2x-2 / x^2(x+1)

Write it in the A+B+C form, using x, x^2 and (x+1) in the denominator respectively. Then multiply each letter so that there is a common denominator, so times the A by x(x+1) times the B by (x+1) and the C by x^2.

Then equate this to the numerator in the original fraction, so 7x^2.....
Then solve the letters by subbing in values for x, so I used x=0 and x=-1 to find B and C and to find A you can sub in any value to find it because you already know B and C

Anyway, in the partial fraction form, the answer should be: 4/x - 2/x^2 + 3/(x+1). :biggrin:
Reply 605
Original post by masryboy94
most definetely, well to give you a heads up, i only did past papers for jan exams, and did all of them like 3 times, only did like 2 solomans and i got 76 UMS, a friend of mind only did soloman papers and he got 97 UMS, so it kind of says something. and that's why im concentrating on elmwood and soloman papers and then i'll do exam papers.

Exact same as you, I did all the Past Papers twice, made notes from my Past Paper Mistakes, stuck them in my Folder and got 77UMS. I was like WTF.

I am on my 3rd solomon press and my grades so far for solomon are D, B, and I have one more to mark which was challenging. Just did it now under timed conditions, Solomon Press C4 Paper E.

Solomon Press, make you aware of exactly what you are weak at. I just mark my work and think - No wonder.

Thank god for this forum, or I would have had no clue. I am feeling like I can get that A* for Maths.....need to find a solution for Chem and Phys too thoguh
Guys, why on mixed exercise 3D question 7)c) why would you use 0.01 to sub to give approximate 101/103?
Original post by otrivine
Guys, why on mixed exercise 3D question 7)c) why would you use 0.01 to sub to give approximate 101/103?

Right, what I did is write 101/103 as 1.01/1.03
Then wrote it as 1+0.01/ 1+3(0.01). So you can kinda see where the 0.01 comes from
Original post by Crazy Crouton
Right, what I did is write 101/103 as 1.01/1.03
Then wrote it as 1+0.01/ 1+3(0.01). So you can kinda see where the 0.01 comes from

what:confused::confused::confused: Sorry did not follow you? I dont get where suddenly the 0.01 came from?and why add there is no variable for you to substitute the valie?
what:confused::confused::confused: Sorry did not follow you? I dont get where suddenly the 0.01 came from?and why add there is no variable for you to substitute the valie?

The 0.01 comes from when you factories 1.01/1.03. Because 1.01 is 1+0.01

Ok, so you have 1+x/1+3x which you expanded in question part b.
So part c asks for approx to 101/103
So if you write it in the form 1.01/1.03 then in 1+0.01/1+3(0.01) it is in the same form as the expression 1+x/1+3x

Therefore, from this you deduce that x=0.01 from the value that the questions have asked you to approximate . It just takes a bit of fiddling around with it, but ultimately you want to get an expression in the same form as the one in the q.
(edited 11 years ago)
Ok, so you have 1+x/1+3x which you expanded in question part b.
So part c asks for approx to 101/103
So if you write it in the form 1.01/1.03 then in 1+0.01/1+3(0.01) it is in the same form as the expression 1+x/1+3x

Therefore, from this you deduce that x=0.01 from the value that the questions have asked you to approximate . It just takes a bit of fiddling around with it, but ultimately you want to get an expression in the same form as the one in the q.

Bingo got it, but then in exam is it always/most of the time 0.01?
Bingo got it, but then in exam is it always/most of the time 0.01?

I think it usually is 0.01, but I wouldn't count on it. And also they may ask you to prove why x is that value
I think it usually is 0.01, but I wouldn't count on it. And also they may ask you to prove why x is that value

if they asked us that do we just say 1.01/1.03 and therefore sub x=0.01 so 1+0.01/3+0.01 ?
Original post by laurawoods
Hello , pls can I ask u a quick question regarding c4 ? Do we have to know the trapezium rule for c4 ? I saw it in a couple of the Elmwood Papers, but was wondering if we had to actually know it for the real exam? Thanks for all ur help! :smile:

Yes you do, but it's exactly the same as in C2. You also need to know how to calculate percentage error from an exact result and the value estimated from the trapezium rule.
Reply 614
Original post by Better
Join the club, but I did a little higher in Jan for C3 C4 (B's.....Past is the Past).

Do what I am doing Solomon Press Under Timed Conditions. Mark them rigorously and write down what your getting. The real papers don't test your weaknesses as only like 1/2 questions on the whole papers are hard so for the most part you will be fooling yourself, because you are just doing easy questions.

Have 5/6 Solomon Press done for C3/C4 by 1st May = A* City.

Then start the Real ones, do 2 a week, until 5 days before the Exam do June 2012 and Jan 2013 timed.

All I know is if I do that I will get an A* in Maths. Hence I'm focusing alot of energy on Phys and Chem atm.

We're all gonna make it brah.

Heh... Thanks for the tips mate, I'm really positive because I'm pouring my heart and soul into these exams.. and I rarely - if ever - do that. We'll be fine :wink:
Original post by 6vor6kas6
Heh... Thanks for the tips mate, I'm really positive because I'm pouring my heart and soul into these exams.. and I rarely - if ever - do that. We'll be fine :wink:

your not alone on that one buddy :tongue:
Reply 616
Original post by nukethemaly
There's an example of this in the textbook try example 6 on page 93. Do that example and then you'll be able to solve this one!

Nukethemaly I'm a bit slow but only got round to this now.

How could I make such an error, thanks for directing me to the example!
Original post by Better
Nukethemaly I'm a bit slow but only got round to this now.

How could I make such an error, thanks for directing me to the example!

I'm glad I could be of some assistance. Call me Aly. :smile:
Reply 618
Original post by nukethemaly
I'm glad I could be of some assistance. Call me Aly. :smile:

Ah kk Aly

Till Results day do us part. </3
I found some summary sheets, in case anyone wants to just have a look and stuff.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending