The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 800
Original post by Prendah
Where has Novak confirmed he is competing?

I've seen some things on twitter, he practised at MC for 50 minutes today to test the ankle, seems like it went well. But let's not forget that he didn't say he would not play MC, so I'm sure he'll compete.
Reply 801
Original post by TopHat
They're 1-1 head to head on clay, they've both made the SF of Roland, Murray has made SF of Monte Carlo but Del Potro only R2, Murray has made the the SF of Rome but Del Potro only the QF, Del Potro has made the SF of Madrid but Murray only the QF. Murray has a 70% win rate at the French Open, Del Potro has a 67% win rate at the French Open. That's pretty even with a slight edge for Murray. I'm sorry, but where is this evidence of Del Potro's might on clay? It's just not there.

This is what I mean about underrating Murray on clay. Because he's noticeably worse than clay than on other surfaces, people tend to think that makes him **** at clay. He's really not!

47-30<<--- horrible on clay.
Just have a feeling the way things are going to pan out that rafa will be going into Wimbledon seeded #5
Reply 803
Original post by hskjlclcn
Just have a feeling the way things are going to pan out that rafa will be going into Wimbledon seeded #5

yes and thats bad for him, because he has to go through the big three to win?
Original post by ubi1
yes and thats bad for him, because he has to go through the big three to win?

He could face Ferrer, assuming that's the player who took his place.
Reply 805
Original post by Zepploydath
He could face Ferrer, assuming that's the player who took his place.

whats the slowest clay court tournament?
Original post by ubi1
whats the slowest clay court tournament?

Not sure, not that well up on surface speeds but I think French Open is the fastest by quite some way.

I'd guess Rome though.
The French is weird because Chatrier and Court 1 are some of the slowest clay courts in tour, but Suzanne is faster for no apparent reason (that I'm aware of, anyway), and is actually pretty nippy by clay court standards. However, given all the important matches take place on Chatrier, overall the French is pretty damn slow. In terms of speed, the major clay events are something like:

Monte Carlo
The French Open
Rome

From slowest to fastest. We don't know what Madrid will be like given it's been extensively resurfaced this year. Could be a surprise. Wish it changed to Hartru, it's a shame there isn't a green Clay Masters given the history of green clay and the sport.
Reply 808
Original post by TopHat
The French is weird because Chatrier and Court 1 are some of the slowest clay courts in tour, but Suzanne is faster for no apparent reason (that I'm aware of, anyway), and is actually pretty nippy by clay court standards. However, given all the important matches take place on Chatrier, overall the French is pretty damn slow. In terms of speed, the major clay events are something like:

Monte Carlo
The French Open
Rome

From slowest to fastest. We don't know what Madrid will be like given it's been extensively resurfaced this year. Could be a surprise. Wish it changed to Hartru, it's a shame there isn't a green Clay Masters given the history of green clay and the sport.

I really liked Madrid last year, blue clay was entertaining to watch, it was faster then hardcourts.
Original post by ubi1
I really liked Madrid last year, blue clay was entertaining to watch, it was faster then hardcourts.

Yeah, shame they scrapped it. I hope it plays quite quick this year and offers some variety.
Monte Carlo is beautifully slow, the players have so much time on the ball! The reason WTA don't play there is probably that it could encourage moonballers and we could see some horrendous rallies
The WTA at Monte Carlo... oh god, I dread to think.
Reply 811
Murray drawn in the same half as Rafa. Semis at best then.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Djokovic's draw is hilarious.
Reply 813
Original post by Prendah
Murray drawn in the same half as Rafa. Semis at best then.

Posted from TSR Mobile

so andy murray will face rafa at semis?
Reply 814
Original post by TopHat

whos draw is he in?
Reply 815
Original post by Krish4791
Yeah, shame they scrapped it. I hope it plays quite quick this year and offers some variety.
Monte Carlo is beautifully slow, the players have so much time on the ball! The reason WTA don't play there is probably that it could encourage moonballers and we could see some horrendous rallies

Rome and madrid the fastest clay surfaces?
Original post by ubi1
so andy murray will face rafa at semis?

They have to play R2, R3, QF first.
Reply 817
Original post by Sirocco11
They have to play R2, R3, QF first.

Lol i know nadal will the tournament, the question is will murray be able to make it to the semis and face rafa
Reply 818
Original post by TopHat

Bit weird, Murray has been in Rafa's half in Monte Carlo for the last 4 out of 5 years.
Original post by ubi1
Rome and madrid the fastest clay surfaces?

Yes - without a doubt

Latest