The Student Room Group

Improving the Model UN

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jakemittle
Very true, but in order for that to happen, we have to start operating more like a model UN, proposing resolutions and the like. Also, some love from the HoC/Student Room twitter pages wouldn't go amiss.

Do any of you participate in other MUN events? Maybe you could try and promote the TSRMUN?

I don't take part in any real life MUN meets and I haven't ever but if there was any such organisation not a million miles from me I wouldn't say no to trying to build some bridges with them.

Original post by Qwertish
What about a yearly reset back to reality? The other thing is, new reps would have to be aware of MUN resolutions passed because they would change the diplomatic situation...

What do you mean a yearly reset? As in negating all previous resolutions? I would say no to that although if like in the MHoC there was a reset every five years say I wouldn't be completely against that. The real question is, are newcomers put off by the fact that there is a long history and backlog of resolutions? If the answer is no then the reset is pointless.

Original post by Birchington
I'm definitely interested in holding an MUN meet up this summer.

In terms of resolutions, writing them is really up to individual reps. I'll encourage people to get more involved in the next PM update.

I did tell myself that when I stepped down I would try and write as many as possible. I've done one so far, I'll see what I can do about doing some more.
As for a MUN meet, I'd be game for that.

Just came up with this.

How about we debate real life resolutions and decide whether or not to pass them in the MUN? (as well as other purely MUN resolutions)

Hmmm, it really depends on the resolution. Some won't be workable. Although I don't disagree with stealing idea's off the real UN.
Reply 21
Original post by thunder_chunky
I'm trying to think what I can do on the twitter side. In the past I have tried to reach out to other MUN and UN organisations but to no avail. IF we could only try and make some friends and boost publicity.

That would be key yes, I'll endeavour to try to do that but I think that could be something the Social Media Managers could work on perhaps?

I agree that tweeting actual activity would be a start but actually building a base of followers and making it interesting enough for people to follow us for whatever reason is the key. People shouldn't follow us simply because they are a member of or associated with TSR, they should see a twitter account for a roleplay international Model United Nations hosted and run by young people and follow us for that reason. Or something similar.

We desperately do need more followers to get engaged with the account - as you say, they should be interested in what we have to offer here rather than just following for the sake of it.

jakemittle
QFA

Ry.
QFA

Would you able to help tackle the issue of gaining more followers? Please don't fall into the trap though of following spam accounts and getting followers like that, we need to outreach to humans and UN organisations etc as well as people interested in what we do here. This could be a long-term project for you all as Social Media Managers?

Just came up with this.

How about we debate real life resolutions and decide whether or not to pass them in the MUN? (as well as other purely MUN resolutions)

That's a great idea - definitely a good method to get more resolutions into the MUN.
Original post by RoryS
QFA

As someone else suggested (might have been Ry) a blog might be a good idea. I personally don't have time to be involved with such things but If someone else does it could chronicle first how things work followed by a bit of history of the MUN here, maybe profiles of members, maybe special articles about resolutions past and present. Also any member could contribute.
Reply 23
As someone else suggested (might have been Ry) a blog might be a good idea. I personally don't have time to be involved with such things but If someone else does it could chronicle first how things work followed by a bit of history of the MUN here, maybe profiles of members, maybe special articles about resolutions past and present. Also any member could contribute.

An unofficial blog has already been set up - it's the developing stages and Ry is sorting it. I'll PM you the link. :biggrin:
Original post by RoryS
That would be key yes, I'll endeavour to try to do that but I think that could be something the Social Media Managers could work on perhaps?

We desperately do need more followers to get engaged with the account - as you say, they should be interested in what we have to offer here rather than just following for the sake of it.

Would you able to help tackle the issue of gaining more followers? Please don't fall into the trap though of following spam accounts and getting followers like that, we need to outreach to humans and UN organisations etc as well as people interested in what we do here. This could be a long-term project for you all as Social Media Managers?

That's a great idea - definitely a good method to get more resolutions into the MUN.

Sure will do! Already looking into that :smile: But for sure I need to know WHO on here is on Twitter so we can follow them :wink: :wink: coughlistcough :biggrin:

debating real life resolutions that have already been debated? We could do that, but also use them to create new resolutions as well.

What do you guys think?

I have been meaning to create a resolution but i havent had the time (and support), but at least we're talking about it which is already a step ahead!
Reply 25
debating real life resolutions that have already been debated? We could do that, but also use them to create new resolutions as well.

Well, it'd be better than talking about them as a news article like we would do now... >_>
BTW I decided to follow a bunch of people B. lemme know what you think

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well, it'd be better than talking about them as a news article like we would do now... >_>

Fair point!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
Sure will do! Already looking into that :smile: But for sure I need to know WHO on here is on Twitter so we can follow them :wink: :wink: coughlistcough :biggrin:

What do you guys think?

I have been meaning to create a resolution but i havent had the time (and support), but at least we're talking about it which is already a step ahead!

Yeah I keep meaning to do that, sorry! :lol: I will do it soon I promise.

Debating real life resolutions is a great way to get us all motivated into understanding global resolutions, it would certainly prompt those who haven't already to write one. It could be something that could be linked with the Twitter account but only having 140 characters is a little problem :tongue:

BTW I decided to follow a bunch of people B. lemme know what you think

Posted from TSR Mobile

The people we're following seem fine - UNOs are good ones to follow and to retweet some of their tweets. Let's make sure that getting some followers to the account is a bit of a priority. :smile:
Original post by RoryS
Yeah I keep meaning to do that, sorry! :lol: I will do it soon I promise.

Debating real life resolutions is a great way to get us all motivated into understanding global resolutions, it would certainly prompt those who haven't already to write one. It could be something that could be linked with the Twitter account but only having 140 characters is a little problem :tongue:

The people we're following seem fine - UNOs are good ones to follow and to retweet some of their tweets. Let's make sure that getting some followers to the account is a bit of a priority. :smile:

We got a couple of new followers today so we're working on it :biggrin:
Reply 30
We got a couple of new followers today so we're working on it :biggrin:

Nice one, keep up the good work :wink:
Reply 31
Great work on the Twitter page guys! Once dissertation hell is over I'm hoping to begin an MUN newsletter as a trial idea.

From May onwards, I'll start posting RL resolutions with occasional news topics. Hopefully it'll shift debate a bit more.

Finally, another item on my to-do list is to finally finish the wiki.
Reply 32
Original post by Birchington
Great work on the Twitter page guys! Once dissertation hell is over I'm hoping to begin an MUN newsletter as a trial idea.

From May onwards, I'll start posting RL resolutions with occasional news topics. Hopefully it'll shift debate a bit more.

Finally, another item on my to-do list is to finally finish the wiki.

Great plan, let me know if there's anything I can do to help :biggrin:
Can we introduce a temporary measure that allows member states to submit security-related resolutions without having to go through the SC in order to boost activity?
Or is that crazy? :biggrin:
Reply 34
Can we introduce a temporary measure that allows member states to submit security-related resolutions without having to go through the SC in order to boost activity?

I don't think that's possible unless it's written into the charter so I'm afraid its a no. Feel free to propose an amendment to change it if you feel it's required but if not, just bare with!
Reply 35

I am not sure if the GA can propose a matter to the SC but IRL

Discuss any question relating to international peace and security and, except where a dispute or situation is currently being discussed by the Security Council, make recommendations on it;

http://www.un.org/en/ga/about/background.shtml
Btw with Twitter, I think things may be better if Twitter users tweeted about the goings on here from time to time. Then we could retweet them and it would show some kind of engagement.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RoryS
I don't think that's possible unless it's written into the charter so I'm afraid its a no. Feel free to propose an amendment to change it if you feel it's required but if not, just bare with!

Ah OK. No problem, it was just a temporary suggestion to boost activity.

But just to clarify, if I wanted say to submit a resolution condemning North Korea, I'd first have to submit it to the SC and this wouldn't be done publicly?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 38
Ah OK. No problem, it was just a temporary suggestion to boost activity.

But just to clarify, if I wanted say to submit a resolution condemning North Korea, I'd first have to submit it to the SC and this wouldn't be done publicly?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think that's the procedure yeah, check out the Charter and Guidance Document for more info as I'm not absolutely certain. :wink:
I had no idea about the Model UN until about a week ago. The same with the MHoC, I only found out through the election and a week later I was an MP for the Greens! I think a lot of people could be interested if they knew more about it. Advertising in the MHoC and in individual parties would be a good start, if that's allowed of course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending