The Student Room Group

Forced to do AS-Level

Don't know if this is posted in the correct forum so apologies if so. But anyways..

Hi this is my first post on student room and was wondering if anyone else was in my situation or have any advice to give out.

I'm currently sitting 5 Highers in Scotland and attend a Chinese school every week. My parents are really eager for me to sit the AS Chinese exam and have submitted me for it but i'm absolutely terrible at Chinese and i know for certain that i will fail my AS as i already have enough on my plate as it is. My question is if i achieve 5 good Higher results would universities look negatively on me when i apply for UCAS due to my poor AS grade?

Any feedback appreciated! :smile:
Reply 1
anyone?
It would probably depend a lot upon the university. However, as you are doing above the minimum requirements they may overlook it - if you were only doing the normal number of subjects and messed up one of them perhaps not. You could try phoning a few unis to get their advice, but really you should try as much as you can to get an acceptable grade without it affecting your main subjects significantly.
Reply 3
I'm no expert but I don't think it would matter too much unless Chinese was a specific requirement for the course you were applying for.
Reply 4
Original post by dragonkeeper999
It would probably depend a lot upon the university. However, as you are doing above the minimum requirements they may overlook it - if you were only doing the normal number of subjects and messed up one of them perhaps not. You could try phoning a few unis to get their advice, but really you should try as much as you can to get an acceptable grade without it affecting your main subjects significantly.

Thanks I'll try emailing them. I think the course i want to get into is quite competitive which was why i was afaid of doing it. I was considering to not turn up for the exam as at all :s

Original post by shonaT
I'm no expert but I don't think it would matter too much unless Chinese was a specific requirement for the course you were applying for.

Don't think the course i'm interested in requires a foreign language, thanks!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by firewater
Thanks I'll try emailing them. I think the course i want to get into is quite competitive which was why i was afaid of doing it. I was considering to not turn up for the exam as at all :s

The worst thing you can do is not turn up for the exam at all!!! Then you'll definitely get a U, which will look bad on your UCAS form. At least try a bit... unis will prefer you to do badly in an exam to being too lazy to turn up at all (at least, that's how they would see it)!
What course are you thinking of doing?
The worst thing you can do is not turn up for the exam at all!!! Then you'll definitely get a U, which will look bad on your UCAS form. At least try a bit... unis will prefer you to do badly in an exam to being too lazy to turn up at all (at least, that's how they would see it)!

You don't need to put failed courses (i.e N/A's or U's) on your UCAS form.
Reply 7

Are you sure that you need to put down U grades in your UCAS form? Cause if so then i better get revising haha.
I was quite interested in economics which i know is highly competitive so my parents were thinking that if i did AS Chinese it'd be something that stood out amongst other applocations.
Original post by TheFOMaster

We were told we would have to, might have been an attempt to get people to actually turn up to general studies though...
I think you definitely have to put it down if your college doesn't certificate the results after your first year (some don't certificate until you leave, just in case you want to retake stuff/ do the whole A2/ move maths modules around I think).
Reply 9
We were told we would have to, might have been an attempt to get people to actually turn up to general studies though...
I think you definitely have to put it down if your college doesn't certificate the results after your first year (some don't certificate until you leave, just in case you want to retake stuff/ do the whole A2/ move maths modules around I think).

I see what you're getting at but since I'd be doing the AS-Level out of school (at my Chinese school where my UCI is different from my Scottish Candidate number), I didn't think that they would know.

you have to put SQA subject fails on your UCAS, don't know about AS level? :hmmmm2:
Original post by deedee123
you have to put SQA subject fails on your UCAS, don't know about AS level? :hmmmm2:

Do you? I was told you never had to, since you never actually held the qualification...
Do you? I was told you never had to, since you never actually held the qualification...

You definitely do for SQA anyway.
Original post by firewater
I see what you're getting at but since I'd be doing the AS-Level out of school (at my Chinese school where my UCI is different from my Scottish Candidate number), I didn't think that they would know.

It's not whether your school knows that's the issue, your results may be checked by universities/ UCAS, who may have access to your results for all subjects, not just those you declare on the form. I think. Check with the careers/ university applications department at your college to be sure.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending