The Student Room Group

Is it wise to buy Mac for Uni?

For a while now I've been wanting to upgrade my laptop; it's old, slow and is on its last legs quite frankly. I wanted to buy a quite top end laptop for over the summer and beyond. I've sold my Xbox and TV, with the intention of putting the money towards a good computer of some kind which I can take to Uni.

This has since developed into the idea of buying a Mac (desktop, not laptop). I am considering getting an iPad mini with an attachable keyboard for lectures and stuff (mainly as my handwriting isn't great when rushed!).

What do people think about me getting a mac? Have others done it? What can current students give me in terms of computer advice? Is it safe, most importantly!

I'd really appreciate any feedback, or hear about what others are planning to do!

BW! Alex :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
I don't think It's ever wise to buy a mac... Lol I know they're reliable and made in a way that protects the environment but seriously, 99.99% of computer applications are made to run on windows..... all other operating systems are considered "runners up" in the eyes of a programmer. Also the price is unreal! I mean £1,400 pound for a macbook pro that has 4 GB ram and 500GB hard drive with a processor no faster than a intel i3. More importantly the graphics cards on a mac are poop for the price you pay, which is why hardcore gamers will always prefer to play games on a windows laptop.

If you're seriously considering spending mac-money (forgive my pun) on a top-end laptop then I recomend you buy an alienware by Dell. If you don't already know, alien ware is Dell's premium branch, like Lexus is to Toyota... These laptops are the most expensive windows-based ones I can think of but what you get for your money....... oh god...... OH GOD. by the power of RA: http://www.dell.com/uk/p/alienware-m17x-r4/pd?oc=n00w7m01&dgc=ST&cid=41141&lid=1069630&acd=239715600820560
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by gijops
I don't think It's ever wise to buy a mac... Lol I know they're reliable and made in a way that protects the environment but seriously, 99.99% of computer applications are made to run on windows..... all other operating systems are considered "runners up" in the eyes of a programmer. Also the price is unreal! I mean £1,400 pound for a macbook pro that has 4 GB ram and 500GB hard drive with a processor no faster than a intel i3. More importantly the graphics cards on a mac are poop for the price you pay, which is why hardcore gamers will always prefer to play games on a windows laptop.

If you're seriously considering spending mac-money (forgive my pun) on a top-end laptop then I recomend you buy an alienware by Dell. If you don't already know, alien ware is Dell's premium branch, like Lexus is to Toyota... These laptops are the most expensive windows-based ones I can think of but what you get for your money....... oh god...... OH GOD. by the power of RA: http://www.dell.com/uk/p/alienware-m17x-r4/pd?oc=n00w7m01&dgc=ST&cid=41141&lid=1069630&acd=239715600820560

If the OP doesn't game, then your point is null and void. I have an i5 MB Pro and it serves me well. The tendency to overheat in Windows has made me pretty much stop playing Windows-only games though (already had to have the motherboard replaced because of this). This wouldn't be a problem on a desktop however.

OP: Get what you want. An iMac would be good in terms of transportability though not as good as a laptop of course. We're only talking about moving it for holidays though so if you have a car etc or will get picked up or will live close to home then it's not an issue. I personally really enjoy the no-faff aspect of Macs in terms of user-friendliness and (non-existent) virus issues but if you're not an idiot you should be fine with whatever. If you really want a Mac and wouldn't rather save the money for something else, go for it. Otherwise there are plenty of other options that will serve you just as well for much less.
Reply 3
Original post by Ronove
If the OP doesn't game, then your point is null and void. I have an i5 MB Pro and it serves me well. The tendency to overheat in Windows has made me pretty much stop playing Windows-only games though (already had to have the motherboard replaced because of this). This wouldn't be a problem on a desktop however.

OP: Get what you want. An iMac would be good in terms of transportability though not as good as a laptop of course. We're only talking about moving it for holidays though so if you have a car etc or will get picked up or will live close to home then it's not an issue. I personally really enjoy the no-faff aspect of Macs in terms of user-friendliness and (non-existent) virus issues but if you're not an idiot you should be fine with whatever. If you really want a Mac and wouldn't rather save the money for something else, go for it. Otherwise there are plenty of other options that will serve you just as well for much less.

yea, what your saying is true, but when you have an i5 macbook of any kinds with specs like youre, price becomes a huge concern (£1,700+) and one think i forgot to point out is the alienware m18x and 17x are the most stylish and good looking laptops in the market. I know appearance hasn't always been a big factor with laptops but it's 2013 and like any other daily routine tool (phone, car, clothes, ect.) you want it to be as appealing as possible and the macs have stayed with their simplistic design for too long now.

not to mention the macbook air has a lower ultimate tensile stress than the amazon kindle; be careful with macbook airs and other ridiculously thin laptops.

Sidenote: overheating has nothing to do with the operating system. overheating comes from the resistance in a motherboard combined with the power supply which radiates heat energy. The M18x has liquid cooling which is undoubtedly the best method of preventing the hardware from heating up... Seriously, how can you assume that a software like an operating system can affect your computers hardware?
Reply 4
Original post by gijops
yea, what your saying is true, but when you have an i5 macbook of any kinds with specs like youre, price becomes a huge concern (£1,700+) and one think i forgot to point out is the alienware m18x and 17x are the most stylish and good looking laptops in the market. I know appearance hasn't always been a big factor with laptops but it's 2013 and like any other daily routine tool (phone, car, clothes, ect.) you want it to be as appealing as possible and the macs have stayed with their simplistic design for too long now.

not to mention the macbook air has a lower ultimate tensile stress than the amazon kindle; be careful with macbook airs and other ridiculously thin laptops.

Sidenote: overheating has nothing to do with the operating system. overheating comes from the resistance in a motherboard combined with the power supply which radiates heat energy. The M18x has liquid cooling which is undoubtedly the best method of preventing the hardware from heating up... Seriously, how can you assume that a software like an operating system can affect your computers hardware?

... it's because of the behaviour of the fans when in Windows (using a program to force them worked for a while) and the greater overheating caused by the Windows games I had. There didn't seem to be any obvious difference in graphics requirements between games I had on either partition but that could theoretically have been it. Don't talk to me like I'm stupid... :erm:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending