The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

My basic opinion on Del Potro is that he probably won't win another slam until his seeding improves. Lightning doesn't strike twice - what he did at the US Open was impressive but so far from the norm. If he gets to no.4, he stands a chance again, but for now, as ever, it really is just too much to have to go through that many good players in a row - Indian Wells being a prime example.
Reply 1241
Original post by TopHat
I don't think Nadal has a chance at the US. There's too many good hardcourt players. His 2010 title was as much a fluke as Djokovic's 2011 Wimbledon - both had piss-easy draws to the final and then an opponent who just mentally wasn't there (weird how quickly Djokovic went from being the one at the end of a massive losing streak to the one starting a massive winning streak). They'd both be very lucky to repeat those titles. I don't think Fed has a shot at the US Open any more - he could maybe beat Djokovic or Murray or Nadal, but not two of that set in a row. He just doesn't have the fitness any more, and none of them will lose quickly enough to him on hardcourts these days. I also disagree that Djokovic should be the favourite at the US - Murray beat him in the final while playing quite poorly. Obviously the wind makes that a bit unpredictable, but the US Open court suits Murray better than it does Djokovic. I think I'd rank the "top three favourites" for each slam like this:

RG: Nadal, Djokovic, Federer
W: Murray, Nadal, Federer
US: Murray, Djokovic, Del Potro
AO: Djokovic, Murray, Nadal

I agree with your prediction.
I think as proven by the man himself it is very hard to write off Federer as he comes back to prove all the doubters wrong but I think that he has a achieved so much he probably doesn't have the same hunger he used to and also I think with how physical the game has become if say its the US Open and he has to go through Djokovic and Murray to win the title plus a Tsonga/Berdych/Del Porto in the quarters I don't think he can play consecutive 4/5 setters with the top 4 and then win. Plus I don't think he believes he can beat them in the major occasions I mean Aus Open 2013 against Murray a player who he has destroyed in GSs essentially outplayed and out lasted him, plus against Nadal he just is very vulnerable

I think if Federer into win another GS before he retires it will be at Wimbledon and it will be kind of a twilight of career last shot kind of thing

As for Delpotro I personally think for so long we have waited for him to recover and get back to his best and I think he is just slightly overhyped, I actually think Tsonga or one of the rising stars have more of a chance of pulling of an upset in the upcoming GSs than Delpotro
Original post by usamakhanlodhi
I think as proven by the man himself it is very hard to write off Federer as he comes back to prove all the doubters wrong but I think that he has a achieved so much he probably doesn't have the same hunger he used to and also I think with how physical the game has become if say its the US Open and he has to go through Djokovic and Murray to win the title plus a Tsonga/Berdych/Del Porto in the quarters I don't think he can play consecutive 4/5 setters with the top 4 and then win. Plus I don't think he believes he can beat them in the major occasions I mean Aus Open 2013 against Murray a player who he has destroyed in GSs essentially outplayed and out lasted him, plus against Nadal he just is very vulnerable

I think if Federer into win another GS before he retires it will be at Wimbledon and it will be kind of a twilight of career last shot kind of thing

As for Delpotro I personally think for so long we have waited for him to recover and get back to his best and I think he is just slightly overhyped, I actually think Tsonga or one of the rising stars have more of a chance of pulling of an upset in the upcoming GSs than Delpotro

We've reached that stage where Roger unfortunately ran out of steam at the AO 2013 (+ Murray was playing really well, physically speaking).
The ESPN commentators even said at the end of the match: "Well... the Federer will never wavered, but the fuel tank ran dry." Bear in mind it took him 5 sets to beat Tsonga in the QFs. He still knows he can beat the other members of the Top 4 when he's playing well. Especially Djokovic and Murray (Nadal is a little more difficult but he can do it on grass/indoor hard), it's just a matter of keeping fit/energized.
Reply 1244
Original post by Krish4791
We've reached that stage where Roger unfortunately ran out of steam at the AO 2013 (+ Murray was playing really well, physically speaking).
The ESPN commentators even said at the end of the match: "Well... the Federer will never wavered, but the fuel tank ran dry." Bear in mind it took him 5 sets to beat Tsonga in the QFs. He still knows he can beat the other members of the Top 4 when he's playing well. Especially Djokovic and Murray (Nadal is a little more difficult but he can do it on grass/indoor hard), it's just a matter of keeping fit/energized.

Maybe he should copy Rio Ferdinand's yoga routine!
Original post by Krish4791

Yes he did do well to get that match to a 5th set but I think that he is having less good days as he gets older and injuries( which really he has been very good with in his career in part due to how he plays) like the one in Indian Wells are starting to hinder him. He also has the problem that the other top3 can also improve their level to match him.
As for Nadal I think indoor hard Federer would be heavy favorite but on grass it would be very interesting to see who would come out on top( we may get that match up this year on Wimbledon)

Tbh I think a large part of why Federer is still playing is because he still is ranked very well and because he is trying to last out until Rio
I don't expect Federer to be in Rio to be honest.

I think that once he finishes a season outside the top 4 he will announce the next season will be his last and then i actually expect his retirement to be swiftly followed by Nadal's, their careers will always be defined by "that" rivalry and with the injuries Nadal gets i don't think he'll see much point in putting his body through it when by retiring Federer actually cements his GOAT of all time position.
Reply 1247
Original post by Rakas21
I don't expect Federer to be in Rio to be honest.

I think that once he finishes a season outside the top 4 he will announce the next season will be his last and then i actually expect his retirement to be swiftly followed by Nadal's, their careers will always be defined by "that" rivalry and with the injuries Nadal gets i don't think he'll see much point in putting his body through it when by retiring Federer actually cements his GOAT of all time position.

There is no GOAT in Tennis. "Roger Federer cannot be GOAT if he cant dominate his own generation".
Original post by ubi1
There is no GOAT in Tennis. "Roger Federer cannot be GOAT if he cant dominate his own generation".

Let me guess, Nadal is?
Original post by ubi1
He did dominate his own generation though, however you still have to take in to account the relative strength of his (peak) era with the main threats Roddick/Hewitt/Safin/Nalbandian/young Nadal etc compared to now with the likes of Nadal/Djokovic/Murray/Ferrer/Berdych etc
Reply 1250
Original post by Tactical Nuclear Penguin
Let me guess, Nadal is?

NO nadal is not the Goat.
Reply 1251
Original post by ubi1
NO nadal is not the Goat.

No he isn't a goat. But is he the GOAT?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1252
Original post by Multitalented me
He did dominate his own generation though, however you still have to take in to account the relative strength of his (peak) era with the main threats Roddick/Hewitt/Safin/Nalbandian/young Nadal etc compared to now with the likes of Nadal/Djokovic/Murray/Ferrer/Berdych etc

he dominated the roddick/hewitt/safin/nalbandian era ..... Thats it rogers biggest rival is nadal which he hasn't dominated and am not saying Nadal is the Goat because hes not aswell, There is no goat in Tennis Unfortunately.
Original post by Prendah
No he isn't a goat. But is the GOAT?

Lol :biggrin:
Reply 1254
Original post by Prendah

The highest level you can reach in terms of dominance and success.
In reality though there can only ever be one true GOAT :yy:

Reply 1256
Original post by Multitalented me
In reality though there can only ever be one true GOAT :yy:

:rolleyes: wooooo
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1257
Grand Slam count was invented by Pete Samparas fans, GOAT level was invented by Roger Federer fans, What about Rafa fans.....:colondollar:
Original post by Prendah

PRSOM :biggrin:
Reply 1259
Original post by Prendah
No he isn't a goat. But is he the GOAT?

Rafa Nadal is not the GOAT.:smile:

Latest