The Student Room Group

Higher Exams 2013

Scroll to see replies

I've been doing far less studying that i'd like to have done. The looming deadline of Higher Art had been taking up a considerable amount of time, leaving me only a couple of hours in the day to fit in studying. But seeing as it's finally done i'm hoping to buckle down and get some work done now. English is probably my most confident one at the moment, I came away with a comfortable A in the prelim and my essays now tend to get 23s and 21s, and the occassional 19 if i'm less confident with the text. So it's really just a matter of learning quotes and just looking over things now. I just missed out on an A on my physics prelim, but that's really just a matter of learning and revising content, and it's not so difficult, it just requires time.

Maths however i'm very stressed over. I got a C in the prelim, and so I really have revised it more than anything else. The most annoying thing is though despite the revision i've put in for it, (extra revision days in school during easter, about 5 or 6 years worth of past papers so far and pages and pages of notes) I came away with the exact same mark on the 2nd prelim. Absolutely no improvement; down to the last percent I got the same. My goal is for 5 As and it's really stressing me that my work is not showing results at all so far.
i have no motivation to study ... Help!
Original post by kerrydouglas

Do you want to go to a top university? Not if you don't do well here.
a bit worried for AH chem! not worried for the other 2.
Original post by kerrydouglas

physically force yourself, once you get into it you'll be fine.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by deedee123
a bit worried for AH chem! not worried for the other 2.

physically force yourself, once you get into it you'll be fine.

Think you quoted the wrong person :wink:

I'm actually not worried about Chemistry, probably cause its so far away :tongue: I'm terrified for Biology though, and English! Oddly excited for Maths though, but I have a fleeting fear that a question will come up that I'm really shaky on and I mess up and get a B :frown: I really want an A!
Original post by TheFOMaster
Think you quoted the wrong person :wink:

I'm actually not worried about Chemistry, probably cause its so far away :tongue: I'm terrified for Biology though, and English! Oddly excited for Maths though, but I have a fleeting fear that a question will come up that I'm really shaky on and I mess up and get a B :frown: I really want an A!

so i did, oopsy. I think i can pull it off, i need to start seriously studying! do you have a conditonal?
so i did, oopsy. I think i can pull it off, i need to start seriously studying! do you have a conditonal?

Nah, but Glasgow have an R/S course and an X/Y course for Maths in 1st year, and you need an A for the X/Y course :tongue: I'd love to get onto the X/Y course, but I think I'm gonna screw up somehow, but it wouldn't be a big deal really :smile:

What is it you need again? was it BB?
Original post by TheFOMaster
Nah, but Glasgow have an R/S course and an X/Y course for Maths in 1st year, and you need an A for the X/Y course :tongue: I'd love to get onto the X/Y course, but I think I'm gonna screw up somehow, but it wouldn't be a big deal really :smile:

What is it you need again? was it BB?

whats the difference? Yeah, BB :tongue:
whats the difference? Yeah, BB :tongue:

Ones harder than the other :tongue: And I won't need to relearn over AH knowledge (although, I probably should I'm learning that course so wrong) :smile:

BB? You'll get that easily :smile:
Does anyone else feel that the actual volume of information we have to learn isn't actually that much of a step up from SG? Perhaps I simply feel this way because of the number of subjects we had to take last year.
Reply 30
Best of luck to everyone with their exams starting! :smile:

This time last year, I couldn't have been more stressed but because I have my uni place I'm not stressed at all, although I have been studying this year :smile:

To all 5th/6th years out there with no motivation to study: remember, if you study for the next month, you'll hopefully be set up for whatever you want to do for the rest of your life! When you think of the next month next to the rest of your life, it really doesn't seem too long :smile: good luck again everyone!
Original post by ladymarshmallow
Does anyone else feel that the actual volume of information we have to learn isn't actually that much of a step up from SG? Perhaps I simply feel this way because of the number of subjects we had to take last year.

This reassures me greatly.
Original post by Bromaldehyde
This reassures me greatly.

Don't worry. Highers ARE a bit of a step up but that goes without saying. However, I wouldn't pay attention to those who act as if they're rocket science. As long as you've chosen subjects which you are interested in and have a reasonable aptitude for, you'll be fine.
Reply 33
Would any of you think that somebody sitting only 2 highers in 5th year with 2 intermediate 2's is stupid/more disadvantaged for a uni place after 6th year with taking two advanced highers, two highers and a baccalaurette in S6?
Original post by lala4
Would any of you think that somebody sitting only 2 highers in 5th year with 2 intermediate 2's is stupid/more disadvantaged for a uni place after 6th year with taking two advanced highers, two highers and a baccalaurette in S6?

I wouldn't say they were stupid at all!
There are obviously going to be some limitations to this choice. You'll be unable to get into undergrad medicine for example, as they need 5 highers in one sitting, but for everything else you should be alright. From what I've seen on university websites most courses only need 4 highers, which they'll have by the end of 6th year.

I've know people in this situation who've done 2Hs and 2 int2 in 5th and then 2Hs and an open university course get conditional offers (very low ones too from memory, I think it was 2 C's), so I'm sure they'll do fine!
Reply 35
Original post by Officegirl4
I wouldn't say they were stupid at all!
There are obviously going to be some limitations to this choice. You'll be unable to get into undergrad medicine for example, as they need 5 highers in one sitting, but for everything else you should be alright. From what I've seen on university websites most courses only need 4 highers, which they'll have by the end of 6th year.

I've know people in this situation who've done 2Hs and 2 int2 in 5th and then 2Hs and an open university course get conditional offers (very low ones too from memory, I think it was 2 C's), so I'm sure they'll do fine!

Yes of course aha. I am thinking of a history/politics type course. Hopefully i will get 4 Bs over the next two years minimum and possibly if i work hard enough As. Thanks though:smile:
I'm stressing out about French! has anyone tried to predict what short writing may come up or what topics to focus on? How should I study for it? helppppp
Reply 37
Got AAAAB in my Prelims but still worried about all my subjects...Hoping I get good essay questions in History and English :frown:
i quite literally have strands of hair falling out im stressing that bad. so worried about english as we have one play and three poems and i only really feel comfortable with using one of those poems for timed essay lol :frown: :frown:
also do any of you do any more than converting notes to mind maps & posters and doing actual questions?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending