The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ratio
This is what I find most irritating about exam term. Why the hell am I learning new material?

(Well, sups are not that bad; it is the lectures that just feel like an enormous waste of time.)

If you're not going to do it in the exam, just don't do it/ go. It's not worth wasting time over just to keep supervisors etc happy.

Original post by ukdragon37
Yeah I have to be able to though. In particular life has being in a dream-like daze for the last week and all of this week as I'm doing multi-day take-home (open book) exams. :frown:

:console:

Good luck
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 121
Original post by ratio
This is what I find most irritating about exam term. Why the hell am I learning new material?

(Well, sups are not that bad; it is the lectures that just feel like an enormous waste of time.)

Luckily economics doesn't teach new material in exam term (at least for third years) - this was a revision supervision, though I have a couple stored up from last term*. But still - it's too early to do revision supervisions properly, and if you did them later in term there would be literally nothing more annoying.

*plus one that I thought was a week later and the supervisor assumed I was too busy to submit work or come...
Reply 122
Original post by ratio

Totally agree. It's not like I'm having trouble remembering everything else now is it :tongue:
Reply 123
Original post by lp386
Mine said nothing about needing to work hard and simply told me to eat properly, sleep properly, get some exercise and not become a crazy finalist.

That said, I think she already knows how neurotic I am.

This is the problem of exam term and Cambridge in general - you listen to other people talking about how much work they've done and how little sleep they're getting away with and you tend to assume that you'd do better if you did the same.

This ignores that:
1) people overestimate their work hours
2) people don't work efficiently
3) people lie because they're feeling as bad as you are about their work hours
4) sleep helps you learn and stay sane
5) Tripos isn't worth sacrificing your mental health over.

(There's more, I'm sure, but I'm due at a supervision in 15 minutes...)

I think there's also the really important factor that degrees and subject areas are not comparable. The type of revising needed for medicine is entirely different from that needed for maths or HSPS. Furthermore, everyone has different strengths, learning styles and ways of working. Something that works well for someone, may actually impede another person's learning. Personally I can focus for long stretches of time without breaks if I'm pressurised enough, but for a lot of people that's actually less efficient than just breaking it up into lots of short bursts interspersed with different tasks.
And then there's the issue that hours of work put into your degree are not directly proportional to marks earned. Some people flip through a book before getting bored and going and doing something fun, and still end up getting a first. While another person who has plastered there entire bedroom with really detailed revision notes, and revises every waking hour, just about manages a 2.1.
So its really irrational to feel threatened by people who seem to be working more than you, because there's a lot more to success in tripos exams and effective learning than just effort.

I learned this the hard way after nearly killing myself in first year.
Original post by ratio

I'm glad I had no new material to learn in Easter term. On the other hand, approaching your comment from an angle I assume you didn't mean, exam term was totally about learning new things for me! It was the time when finally I could get off of the essay hamster wheel and actually 'catch up' by consolidating things, reading stuff I didn't have time to before, and properly engaging and thinking about everything. So I often felt I learnt more in Easter term than during Michaelmas and Lent put together. Also I'm really bad at forcing myself to re-read things I've already covered, so Easter term was a lovely opportunity to pick up things on reading lists I hadn't already looked at instead.
Reply 124
Original post by Craghyrax

I'm glad I had no new material to learn in Easter term. On the other hand, approaching your comment from an angle I assume you didn't mean, exam term was totally about learning new things for me! It was the time when finally I could get off of the essay hamster wheel and actually 'catch up' by consolidating things, reading stuff I didn't have time to before, and properly engaging and thinking about everything. So I often felt I learnt more in Easter term than during Michaelmas and Lent put together. Also I'm really bad at forcing myself to re-read things I've already covered, so Easter term was a lovely opportunity to pick up things on reading lists I hadn't already looked at instead.

Haha, I find learning new stuff in that sense irritating too. :tongue: However, this is a recurring, mostly self-inflicted, problem. As it hasn't harmed me too much yet, I try not to worry about it. (I say this, I always get a mild panic that my luck is running out and I'll never remember anything. In actual fact, the panic is not so mild this time around.)

Original post by TimmonaPortella
If you're not going to do it in the exam, just don't do it/ go. It's not worth wasting time over just to keep supervisors etc happy.

:console:

Good luck

I know but it's hard to tell. I'm not sure what you guys did to annoy GV but, in the crim paper for your year, THREE of the four problems featured Easter material quite substantively. I was happily planning to drop property offences (but know it in outline) until I got to the 2012 paper.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by ratio
I know but it's hard to tell. I'm not sure what you guys did to annoy GV but, in the crim paper for your year, THREE of the four problems featured Easter material quite substantively. I was happily planning to drop property offences (but know it in outline) until I got to the 2012 paper.

:lol:

Work in 5 minutes? (I see you lurking, Mr Invisible... :holmes:)
Reply 126
Original post by Tortious
:lol:

Work in 5 minutes? (I see you lurking, Mr Invisible... :holmes:)

I have a lecture. Coincidentally, it's a property offences lecture. :tongue:
Original post by ratio
I have a lecture. Coincidentally, it's a property offences lecture. :tongue:

Damn, I have no such excuse for still being here. My room's quite cold - might put a jumper on...

EDIT: No idea where that second sentence came from. All I can think is that the cold makes me not feel like working (just like when you're tired and you don't want to work or go to bed either).
(just like when you're tired and you don't want to work or go to bed either).

Oh I hate that. I sit there and watch TV and feel so much guilt.
Reply 129
Beginning to feel as though normal, rational self has been replaced by brain on a stick, essay-writing machine.
Reply 130
Original post by camaieu
Beginning to feel as though normal, rational self has been replaced by brain on a stick, essay-writing machine.

This.

An equation solving, databook scouring brain.

All over in 5 weeks though...
Too drowsy to think ffs.

Damn you exam term.
Reply 132
Happy Daily Mail Monday eve!

In other news, six Tripos questions between now and tomorrow's revision session. Yawn. (And not just because I couldn't sleep last night...)
Reply 133
Original post by lp386
Happy Daily Mail Monday eve!

In other news, six Tripos questions between now and tomorrow's revision session. Yawn. (And not just because I couldn't sleep last night...)

AFAIK the fight is unlikely to go ahead this year - too much of a police presence apparently
Original post by wibletg
AFAIK the fight is unlikely to go ahead this year - too much of a police presence apparently

There will still be a daily mail headline... Something along the lines of "Police prevent Cambridge brawl - our best and brightest?" and photos of drunk students.
Original post by Rob da Mop
There will still be a daily mail headline... Something along the lines of "Police prevent Cambridge brawl - our best and brightest?" and photos of drunk students.

No article from The Tab yet, but they've done a poll:

GOING TO CAESAREAN SUNDAY?

Well are you?

No, I can't be arsed. 59.42% (227 votes)

Yeah, **** the Police. 32.2% (123 votes)

Not sure yet. 8.38% (32 votes)

Also, when did it become known as "Caesarean Sunday"? I thought that was just the colleges' less-politically-incorrect version of "Suicide Sunday"...
Also, when did it become known as "Caesarean Sunday"? I thought that was just the colleges' less-politically-incorrect version of "Suicide Sunday"...

The Caesarean's are the Jesus Drinking Society - Caesarean Sunday is the day when they traditionally fight the Girton Green Monsters on Jesus Green. (No idea if the fight happened or not this year - didn't go myself.) Caesarean Sunday and Suicide Sunday have always been totally different things - Suicide Sunday is the Sunday immediately before May Week, and Caesarian Sunday is the second Sunday of term (i.e. today)
Original post by Sockpirate
The Caesarean's are the Jesus Drinking Society - Caesarean Sunday is the day when they traditionally fight the Girton Green Monsters on Jesus Green. (No idea if the fight happened or not this year - didn't go myself.) Caesarean Sunday and Suicide Sunday have always been totally different things - Suicide Sunday is the Sunday immediately before May Week, and Caesarian Sunday is the second Sunday of term (i.e. today)

My bad. I think I've lost track of "time" entirely - just yesterday I looked at my college husband, completely serious, and said "today's Wednesday, right?". :facepalm2:

In other news, still no sign of Marie! :zomg: I saw a black kitten yesterday and emailed SC so she could identify it, but apparently it was Millie. It's the first time I've seen her up close - she's very pretty... :emog:
My bad. I think I've lost track of "time" entirely - just yesterday I looked at my college husband, completely serious, and said "today's Wednesday, right?". :facepalm2:

In other news, still no sign of Marie! :zomg: I saw a black kitten yesterday and emailed SC so she could identify it, but apparently it was Millie. It's the first time I've seen her up close - she's very pretty... :emog:

I know :sad: I want her back! You clearly don't go to the tutorial office enough then - I definitely spent a good couple of hours of my life there stroking the kittens last term! :emog: Hope Marie turns up again soon :frown:

Haha, can totally sympathise on the time/day thing, although having had lectures up until this Friday has helped me vaguely keep track! :laugh:
Original post by Sockpirate
I know :sad: I want her back! You clearly don't go to the tutorial office enough then - I definitely spent a good couple of hours of my life there stroking the kittens last term! :emog: Hope Marie turns up again soon :frown:

Haha, can totally sympathise on the time/day thing, although having had lectures up until this Friday has helped me vaguely keep track! :laugh:

Aww your kitten is missing? :frown:

Yep, lectures are helping me keep track of the days - although my parents were surprised when I told them I wouldn't have the bank holiday off...

I've had a weekend off for my birthday, but the stress seems to be back. Four weeks. Just four weeks.

Latest

Trending

Trending