The Student Room Group

Higher Modern Studies 2012-13: Discussion and Help Thread

Scroll to see replies

To what extent do Members of the Scottish Parliament (MSPs) influence decision making in the Scottish Government? (SQA 2011) how do you answer this question? mental breakdown here!
Original post by jessicalee123
anybody burning it? :d

oh my goldfish yes! :d
Reply 522
http://www.dosomething.org/tipsandtools/11-facts-about-immigrants

Someone just sent me this. It's a bunch of statistics about immigration which are pretty useful for essays :smile:
Reply 523
Original post by Charmayne2323 :)
What about trying study cards - pick six/seven things - so say for immigration - two benifits to the USA and two policies encouraging it, then two that are unbenificial to the USA and a policy that discourages it. pick the most up to date ones :smile:

Thanks! I might try this too! It's a bit late now though :frown: got no time!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 524
I've just made a plan for a question that goes by the lines of: "To what extent do ethnic minorities affect the outcome of elections."

Intro

By 2050, 60% will be an ethnic minority.

They play a large part in the outcome of elections

Democrats = Younger Gen. Republicans = Older Gen.

Para 1 (Blacks)

Typically democrat voters

Around 68% were registered voters in 2008 but now 59% in 2012 elections

95% voted for democrats in 2008, 93% in 2012.

Over 13.5% of population is black in USA

58% of the registered voters turned out to vote for the Democrats

Barack Obama is black and is known to have the most ethnically diverse cabinet in US politics

Mostly democrats due to colour, culture and welfare benefits.

However, yearly the republicans try and gain votes.

Para 2 (Hispanics)

Parties spend millions advertising in Spanish (It’s the second language of the States)

The hispanic population weren’t interested as much in US politics until Proposition 187 which was

40% of California is known to be from a Hispanic background

Cubans are usually rich where as Mexicans are poorer and live in varrio’s.

Hispanics are also usually democrats, 67% in 2008 and 58% in 2012.

10% of voters were Hispanic 7% for Democrats

Para 3 (Asian Americans)

71% of the Asian American population voted for Democrats in 2012.

They accounted for 3% of the overall vote

There were 3.2M votes for Obama and 900k for Romney.

Account for 4.8% of the population in the USA.

Para 4 (Native Americans)

Native Americans account for 1% of the population.

They make a fractional difference to the votes.

Tend to vote Democrats aswell.

Conclusion

It is clear that ethnic minorities have a large influence on election outcomes as it was clearly shown in 2012.

SIDE NOTES

- Proposition 187 (California) was put in place to prevent illegal immigrants from using healthcare, education and other social services.
Reply 525
What schemes/programmes should I be referring to when discussing government measures to reduce inequalities in ethnic minorities in the US?

I know of the Dream Act but that's it and my teacher said not to mention Affirmative Action as it is outdated...
Reply 526
Original post by fjords
What schemes/programmes should I be referring to when discussing government measures to reduce inequalities in ethnic minorities in the US?

I know of the Dream Act but that's it and my teacher said not to mention Affirmative Action as it is outdated...

What about the Motor Voter Law and TANF?
To what extent do social and economic inequalites continue to exist for wealth and health topic :biggrin: if i did it all on gender, could you still get good marks/full marks?
Original post by claudiascott
To what extent do Members of the Scottish Parliament (MSPs) influence decision making in the Scottish Government? (SQA 2011) how do you answer this question? mental breakdown here!

wouldnt worry too much. its doubtful to come up.

the against influencing decision making is reserved powers, finance controlled by Westminster, Sewel Motions etc. <--- what my teacher said :biggrin: and influencing decision making would be like committees, committees scrutinising the scottish government etc.
Reply 529
Original post by JessicaLee123
To what extent do social and economic inequalites continue to exist for wealth and health topic :biggrin: if i did it all on gender, could you still get good marks/full marks?

I think what they want in that essay is,

SOCIAL:
Area you live in.
Excercise.
Diet.
Alcohol.
Smoking.

ECONOMIC:
Income
Policies to help

I think gender only plays a small part in it. To be honest, you wouldn't be answering the whole question. That plan ^^ is just off the top of my head, it's probably wrong but feel free to correct me whoever! :smile:
Original post by Confused!
I think what they want in that essay is,

SOCIAL:
Area you live in.
Excercise.
Diet.
Alcohol.
Smoking.

ECONOMIC:
Income
Policies to help

I think gender only plays a small part in it. To be honest, you wouldn't be answering the whole question. That plan ^^ is just off the top of my head, it's probably wrong but feel free to correct me whoever! :smile:

ehhhhh ahhhh ive done the essay on gender/ethnic minorities. Mmmmmm i may have to ask my teacher again but im sure she said that was alright. :P thanks anyways!
Reply 531
Original post by JessicaLee123
ehhhhh ahhhh ive done the essay on gender/ethnic minorities. Mmmmmm i may have to ask my teacher again but im sure she said that was alright. :P thanks anyways!

You could use quite a few of the facts from the 'impact of poverty/income/lifestyle on health' question in a general one about social and economic inequalities as well :smile:
Original post by madmissi
You could use quite a few of the facts from the 'impact of poverty/income/lifestyle on health' question in a general one about social and economic inequalities as well :smile:

could you give examples what you mean? of how to bring it in i mean :P could i use a deprived area as a social inequality ?
Original post by shadowcaptain
Also in 2005 the questions "discuss the role of the first minister for scotland" came up. Is this still in use? It hasn't come up since.

The course changed in 2007, so probably not.
Reply 534
Could someone please tell me what they predict may come up in section B.
Reply 535
What are the cut-off's by the way? Is it

45 for a C
60 for a B
70 for a A?
Original post by 2013exams

Just have a look through this thread. Lots of people have said the impact of income on health.

I'm going for the effectiveness of government policies to reduce health inequalities, or maybe just to what extent there are health inequalities.
So today I revised PR vs FPTP, pressure groups, and backbenchers really thoroughly. Does anyone think there's anything else I should have a look at for A4 and A2?
Original post by Confused!
What are the cut-off's by the way? Is it

45 for a C
60 for a B
70 for a A?

Last year the cut-offs were as follows:

A: 63
B: 54
C: 45
D: 40

In 2011, they were:

A: 62
B: 53
C: 44
D: 39

Gives you a rough idea of where the cut-offs tend to be :smile:
Original post by 2013exams

I will be very surprised if anything involving health comes up. It came up in the 2009,2010 and 2011 paper, so I think it's highly unlikely.

Purely using logic, I think it'll be a collectivist/individualist question - mainly because of all the coalition's benefit reforms.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending