The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Topaz_eyes
Aww your kitten is missing? :frown:

Yep, lectures are helping me keep track of the days - although my parents were surprised when I told them I wouldn't have the bank holiday off...

I've had a weekend off for my birthday, but the stress seems to be back. Four weeks. Just four weeks.

We had two - there are photos here. I quite like this one, captioned by the Development Office:

Photo

(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Topaz_eyes
Aww your kitten is missing? :frown:

Yep, lectures are helping me keep track of the days - although my parents were surprised when I told them I wouldn't have the bank holiday off...

I've had a weekend off for my birthday, but the stress seems to be back. Four weeks. Just four weeks.

Yeah, we have 2 college kittens, and one of them went missing around Thursday :sad:

Lucky you've got 4 weeks - I've got less than 3, and have just realised I don't know anything! :afraid: Taking time off for your birthday was definitely a good idea though - hope you had a nice day :biggrin:
Reply 142
Original post by Sockpirate
The Caesarean's are the Jesus Drinking Society - Caesarean Sunday is the day when they traditionally fight the Girton Green Monsters on Jesus Green. (No idea if the fight happened or not this year - didn't go myself.) Caesarean Sunday and Suicide Sunday have always been totally different things - Suicide Sunday is the Sunday immediately before May Week, and Caesarian Sunday is the second Sunday of term (i.e. today)

Yep, that's right.

Anyway, something on that in TCS: http://www.tcs.cam.ac.uk/issue/news/quiet-caesarian-sunday-foxes-national-press/
Reply 143
Original post by Craghyrax

And, regular as clockwork. Would be curious to see if they could substantiate the headline accusation of "drunken brawling".

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2319915/Caesarian-Sunday-Thousands-Cambridge-University-students-defy-college-Deans-celebrate-annual-drinking-tradition.html
Reply 144
Original post by lp386
And, regular as clockwork. Would be curious to see if they could substantiate the headline accusation of "drunken brawling".

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2319915/Caesarian-Sunday-Thousands-Cambridge-University-students-defy-college-Deans-celebrate-annual-drinking-tradition.html
:facepalm2: On the other hand, it does grant Cambridge students a sort of celebrity status... where the press is paying that much attention to our very ordinary lives :rolleyes: :p:
Reply 145
:facepalm2: On the other hand, it does grant Cambridge students a sort of celebrity status... where the press is paying that much attention to our very ordinary lives :rolleyes: :p:

With the tourist hordes, it can feel a little bit like living in the middle of Disneyland... and you're the attraction.

Unfortunately I've seen a piece in the DM on Imperial medics before (is this the future of the nhs? etc). I felt the Mail had betrayed my -- our -- trust :sad:

Here it is

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1343184/Pass-sick-bag-The-antics-Imperial-College-medical-students-worry-all.html
Reply 147
Lol!
Original post by lp386
With the tourist hordes, it can feel a little bit like living in the middle of Disneyland... and you're the attraction.

This is why I would never have accepted a ground floor room in Gisborne Court at Peterhouse... another girl in my year opened her curtains having just climbed out of bed in her pjs, only to find herself blinking into the lens of a tourist's camera :dry:
Reply 148
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Unfortunately I've seen a piece in the DM on Imperial medics before (is this the future of the nhs? etc). I felt the Mail had betrayed my -- our -- trust :sad:

Here it is

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1343184/Pass-sick-bag-The-antics-Imperial-College-medical-students-worry-all.html

Students get drunk, film at 11.

(It's kind of heartening that the response from the Daily Mail commenters is always "And?")

Lol!

This is why I would never have accepted a ground floor room in Gisborne Court at Peterhouse... another girl in my year opened her curtains having just climbed out of bed in her pjs, only to find herself blinking into the lens of a tourist's camera :dry:

Oof. At Catz sometimes behind the gates you can feel a bit like a caged zoo animal. The Cambridge undergraduate, in their natural habitat, stepping, blinking into the sun, after twelve hours in the library...
Original post by lp386
Students get drunk, film at 11.

(It's kind of heartening that the response from the Daily Mail commenters is always "And?")

True, actually, they seem kinda sensible to that extent. I wonder how much of their readership comments on the internet, though. I suspect quite a lot of people who comment are people like us, who read the articles and have to comment.

In the same way that although the dislikes on Bill O'Reilly's youtube videos always massively outweigh his likes, we can't hide from the fact that millions of morons think he has the right idea.

They're out there :holmes:
Reply 150
True, actually, they seem kinda sensible to that extent. I wonder how much of their readership comments on the internet, though. I suspect quite a lot of people who comment are people like us, who read the articles and have to comment.

In the same way that although the dislikes on Bill O'Reilly's youtube videos always massively outweigh his likes, we can't hide from the fact that millions of morons think he has the right idea.

Well, the kind of responses you usually get on online Daily Fail articles are the standard stupid rubbish, so I don't think its the online factor. Its probably a combination of annoyed Oxbridge people logging on specially to be critical, and the fact that the regular readership have got to the stage where they're sick of reading the same headline every year like clock work.
Reply 151
Ow, my head.
Original post by wibletg
Ow, my head.

Yep, that blasted funfair on Midsummer Common…
Original post by wibletg
Ow, my head.

My one aim was to not write all of today off hungover. I failed.
Reply 154

Well, the kind of responses you usually get on online Daily Fail articles are the standard stupid rubbish, so I don't think its the online factor. Its probably a combination of annoyed Oxbridge people logging on specially to be critical, and the fact that the regular readership have got to the stage where they're sick of reading the same headline every year like clock work.

I don't know - I suspect that the DM commentariat just don't really care. They seem more than happy to pile on when there's damage done, but beyond that they either can't get worked up about it or seem to have the "there are other universities to write about, you know" attitude that the Guardian commenters have whenever an Oxbridge story comes up. That said, this doesn't excuse their reaction to almost any other story on a topic of substance.

I think the main takeaway from this is that the Daily Mail is a creature that lives under a bridge and occasionally eats goats.
Reply 155
Can't tell if people know that the DM did still publish something about this, despite people being deliberately tame(r): http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2319915/Caesarian-Sunday-Thousands-Cambridge-University-students-defy-college-Deans-celebrate-annual-drinking-tradition.html

Anyway, back on topic. :judge: Still making notes on everything. Running out of time. Blurgh.

(And I'm making poor decisions like going out to dinner and spending more on drinks than food :tongue:)
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by ratio
Can't tell if people know that the DM did still publish something about this, despite people being deliberately tame(r): http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2319915/Caesarian-Sunday-Thousands-Cambridge-University-students-defy-college-Deans-celebrate-annual-drinking-tradition.html

Anyway, back on topic. :judge: Still making notes on everything. Running out of time. Blurgh.

(And I'm making poor decisions like going out to dinner and spending more on drinks than food :tongue:)

I know that feel, bro. I'll probably be on textbooks for another week (perhaps more; depends how long I can keep up my current pace). If it weren't for my luck in having some really late exams I'd be so screwed. As it happens, thankfully, I'm only somewhat screwed.
Reply 157
Original post by illusionz
My one aim was to not write all of today off hungover. I failed.

Snap.

What a day, that's going to keep me going until may week now, light at the end of the tunnel.
Original post by ratio

Yeah, I've got to the point where there categorically isn't time to do comprehensive notes on all the things I haven't yet made notes on... decided to move onto open-book tripos questions for the time being.
Reply 159
Took the night off work. Feel strangely relaxed, which will no doubt turn into sheer panic.

Latest

Trending

Trending