The Student Room Group

Higher Modern Studies 2012-13: Discussion and Help Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Supertwadds
I will be very surprised if anything involving health comes up. It came up in the 2009,2010 and 2011 paper, so I think it's highly unlikely.

Purely using logic, I think it'll be a collectivist/individualist question - mainly because of all the coalition's benefit reforms.

what about the possibility of lifestyle or income affecting health?
Reply 541
Original post by JessicaLee123
could you give examples what you mean? of how to bring it in i mean :P could i use a deprived area as a social inequality ?

http://www.sqa.org.uk/pastpapers/papers/instructions/2007/mi_H_Modern-Studies_Paper-1_2007.pdf

Here's the marking instructions for the last time that question came up :smile:
so yeah you could talk about those living in deprived areas have lower life expectancy than those in well off, and are more likely to eat junk food and do less exercise, that sort of thing :smile:
Reply 542
Original post by Supertwadds
I will be very surprised if anything involving health comes up. It came up in the 2009,2010 and 2011 paper, so I think it's highly unlikely.

Purely using logic, I think it'll be a collectivist/individualist question - mainly because of all the coalition's benefit reforms.

I would have thought a health one would be more likely because it didn't come up last year. I agree with you on the collectivist/individualist though :smile:
Original post by madmissi
http://www.sqa.org.uk/pastpapers/papers/instructions/2007/mi_H_Modern-Studies_Paper-1_2007.pdf

Here's the marking instructions for the last time that question came up :smile:
so yeah you could talk about those living in deprived areas have lower life expectancy than those in well off, and are more likely to eat junk food and do less exercise, that sort of thing :smile:

how would you set out the essay? Im struggling on what to say the improvements for social inequalites though.

Thanks btw!
can anyone help me how they would set out the question To what extent do social and economic inequalities continue to exist. thanks :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 544
What questions have you all prepared for Health and Wealth?
Original post by HannahRH_
What questions have you all prepared for Health and Wealth?

Lifestyle Choices limiting good health, Collectivist/Individualist arguments and lastly just social/economic factors that affect health
Any ideas for what the report will be on? Will need some background knowledge although I think all the essays I will be doing will help me get that information!

Got 25/30 in a practice paper, if I can replicate that I'll be very pleased!
Original post by KeeKeeDee
Any ideas for what the report will be on? Will need some background knowledge although I think all the essays I will be doing will help me get that information!

Some people predicted Alcohol and maybe the Minimum pricing of alcohol. Who knows :smile: probably on a health issue though. ( Wont be gay rights like somebody suggested :biggrin: )
Original post by KeeKeeDee

yeah, I've been wondering what it could be too. I have no idea! Do you have any tips for the report? I find it hard to understand and choose facts sometimes.
Any ideas for Politics of Development essay? NGOS?
Reply 550
Original post by roarwalk49
Lifestyle Choices limiting good health, Collectivist/Individualist arguments and lastly just social/economic factors that affect health

Okay I have done the first two with success (I hope!) How would I go about the social.economic factors if the question was like the 2007 question:
To what extent do social and economic inequalities continue to exist in the UK?

Okay I have done the first two with success (I hope!) How would I go about the social.economic factors if the question was like the 2007 question:
To what extent do social and economic inequalities continue to exist in the UK?

^^^^^^ totally second that question haha! anybody explain how to set it out? especially for the social inequalites do not continue to exist.
Reply 552
^^^^^^ totally second that question haha! anybody explain how to set it out? especially for the social inequalites do not continue to exist.

I might just do government resposes for: gender, race etc and what inequalities still exist but I'm not sure if that is going off the question?
I might just do government resposes for: gender, race etc and what inequalities still exist but I'm not sure if that is going off the question?

Well i did it on economic/social inequalities for gender and race and than i may consider other social inequalites like deprived area stuff. I dunno hahaha! Cause in the marking guide for SQA it says you can talk about gender pay gap, glass ceiling... unemployment levels higher for ethnic minorities etc
(edited 10 years ago)
My teacher's predictions:

UK: impact of poverty on health
Individualism vs gov.
He doesn't think a gender or race question will come up.

South Africa: Social inequalities

Scotland: Role of MSPs, impact on decision making and scrutinising gov
Devolved and reserved- compromise/conflict

Politics of Development: NGOS or UN and Health and Education

Any thoughts?
Does anybody have any links to help with Paper 2? Any tips? :smile:
Original post by Scrabble96
My teacher's predictions:

UK: impact of poverty on health
Individualism vs gov.
He doesn't think a gender or race question will come up.

South Africa: Social inequalities

Scotland: Role of MSPs, impact on decision making and scrutinising gov
Devolved and reserved- compromise/conflict

Politics of Development: NGOS or UN and Health and Education

Any thoughts?

cant see it involving role of msps because a simliar question came up in 2011. who knows :P im just going to revise everything on devolution possible.
though what do you mean by compromise and conflict you mean co operation and conflict between holyrood and westminster? :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
cant see it involving role of msps because a simliar question came up in 2011. who knows :P im just going to revise everything on devolution possible.
though what do you mean by compromise and conflict you mean co operation and conflict between holyrood and westminster? :smile:

Yes, co operation and conflict. Are your predictions similar? Some people are saying a race and/or gender question may come up. What do you think?
yeah, I've been wondering what it could be too. I have no idea! Do you have any tips for the report? I find it hard to understand and choose facts sometimes.

Do not give me the credit, this is Ecosse_14's advice but I've been following his structure for a while without even realising it!

Introduction - give a brief introduction to what the policy being discussed actually is, your decision on it and list a few arguments you're going to give.

Arguments for your proposal - bullet point around 3 arguments supporting your decision
Argument 1 - Argue your case, referring to the sources given and backround knowledge
Argument 2 - See above
Argument 3 - See above

Arguments against your proposal and rebuttal - bullet point around 3 arguments which contradict your decision
Argument 1 - Say briefly what other people might say against your decision, back it up with a source if you can't use the source anywhere else and then totally rip it shreds to be honest. Say the argument then say 'however' and argue how the reason is not valid and you have evidence against it.
Repeat for the other 2 arguments

Conclusion - Sum it all up, summarising your arguments and stating whether they should reject or accept the proposal.

General advice
1. Read what the actual task says, what your role is and try and understand what the proposal is.
2. Look at all of the stats/diagrams in source C and get an idea what they're about.
3. Read sources A & B, decide which is for and which is against the proposal and whilst you're reading them, underline it and write notes throughout them on things that agree with the stats/contradict source C as this will form the basis of your report.
4. Decide if you're going to accept or reject the proposal and then write the report.

Make sure you use all of the sources (and try and use them several times). When you're writing an argument dont give evidence from source A, source B, source C1, source C2, etc in that order. Instead mix it up a bit, maybe start with C3, go onto A, then C1(a), or whatever, as this is what markers want to see. Make sure you use as much backround knowledge as possible too and annotate in your margin wherever you have used a source or BK. Also, write in a very argumentative language and refer to the ministers or committee or whatever. For example, 'Committee, I strongly suggest that you implement this proposal immediately'. It might sound sad but try and get really into it and really argumentative as if you were actually standing having a very heated debate with someone.
Yes, co operation and conflict. Are your predictions similar? Some people are saying a race and/or gender question may come up. What do you think?

Race gender for where? you mean health and wealth topic?

Yeah me and some other people doing devolved Scotland think its going to be a devolution question involving reserved/devolved powers, MSPs role in decision making ( less likely ) or Co op and conflict between H and W
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending