The Student Room Group

Higher Modern Studies 2012-13: Discussion and Help Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by roarwalk49
Regarding millennium development goals, do you mention them in a UNO essay or NGO essay or both ??

I asked my teacher about this and she said that it's only really necessary to mention then when doing an essay on UNOs. They're not that relevant for NGO essays, apparently.
Original post by HannahRH_
I normally cover four sides of paper and do three for and three against (the against including the rebuttal) but i write quite small?

Ok, thanks :smile: do you include your rebuttle in the paragraph for arguments which may be presented against your recommendation or is it a separate paragraph all together?
Concerning other factors which influence US elections, I'm only going to learn 2 examples - the "Vote or Die" campaign and the Motor-Voter law.
Does anybody have any reports they could send on a link? Preferably grade A ones. I've been on understanding standards but it would be great if I could see a few more. :smile:
Reply 624
chances on prime minister powers coming up and president powers coming up?
Reply 625
Hey writing an essay - on what extent is poverty the main cause of poor health? Struggling a bit and was wondering if someone could please come up with an essay plan to help me please ? :biggrin:
Original post by shinyroof43
Does any one have any stats on the success of government attempts to reduce health inequalities?

Some of this will be rather outdated but I posted this a few pages back. Health and Wealth doc and scroll to health inequals.

Original post by ladymarshmallow
Just realised I know nothing about government policies to reduce inequality in the USA. :s-smilie:

Attached a crappy document, but will hopefully give you some ideas. :smile:
Reply 627
Original post by Scrabble96
Ok, thanks :smile: do you include your rebuttle in the paragraph for arguments which may be presented against your recommendation or is it a separate paragraph all together?

I put it in the same paragraph so does everyone else I know, I make the possible criticism of my recommendation for two or three lines then do a bigger rebuttal four or fives lines. The aim is to make the marker side with you and see there is more reasons in your favour than against.
Original post by ladymarshmallow
I asked my teacher about this and she said that it's only really necessary to mention then when doing an essay on UNOs. They're not that relevant for NGO essays, apparently.

Thanks !! makes the NGO one easier
Reply 629
Does anyone know what is being predicted for devolved decision making in scotland?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 630
Original post by Hilton96
Does anyone know what is being predicted for devolved decision making in scotland?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Something regarding devolution and its impact on decision making. Although i really hope a MSPs role comes up but i doubt it will since it did in 2011.
Would a question on pressure groups basically just be about the effectiveness of PGs??
Reply 632
How many points do you guys tend to put in the essays?
Reply 633
Original post by CarlyR
How many points do you guys tend to put in the essays?

Usually 3 or 4 well developed and balanced points:smile:
Reply 634
My teacher says to try and make four main points which you should expand on to make four main paragraphs. He also told us to try and create balance in each paragraph.
Reply 635
Original post by Ecosse_14
Just have a look through this thread. Lots of people have said the impact of income on health.

I'm going for the effectiveness of government policies to reduce health inequalities, or maybe just to what extent there are health inequalities.

what would you put in an essay plan for the question, to what extent is poverty the main cause of poor health?
Reply 636
Anyone know what could be coming up in a Decision Making in Central Government question? I've heard it could be a Parliament question (House of Lords, Backbench MP's etc.) but I've got no idea how to structure them and could really do with some help in that area.
Reply 637
Original post by lala4
Usually 3 or 4 well developed and balanced points:smile:

Original post by caketin96
My teacher says to try and make four main points which you should expand on to make four main paragraphs. He also told us to try and create balance in each paragraph.

Thanks I usually only put 3 (but get good marks) but my friend was going on about she always puts 4 and our teacher mentioned it too
Original post by Rossco18
what would you put in an essay plan for the question, to what extent is poverty the main cause of poor health?

I don't know, sorry. I sat modern studies ages ago and don't have all my notes on me at the mo.
Reply 639
What order is everyone going to do Paper 1 in? I know it depends on what the questions are, but which section do you think you will do first and leave to last? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending