The Student Room Group

Physics A Level Unit 1 20th May

Hey everyone!

I just thought I'd start a thread for the AQA Physics exam coming up in 5 weeks for people who are sitting it :smile: Anyone else not feeling prepared?!
I hate electricity :redface:
Reply 2
Original post by This Excellency
I hate electricity :redface:

Same here! Absolutely hate it, none of it seems to stick in my head when revising

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
All I need to do is nail electricity in 1 month, and I think i'll be in a good position. Here's hoping! Going to be living in my physics room, but such is life.

Oh yes, and what 6 markers could come up? All I can think of is the following:

- Photoelectric effect discussion
- How a fluorescent light bulb works
- Heating a wire using a waterbath
- Using an oscilloscope

Anything else that could go on?
Reply 4
Hey guys; not sure why I haven't posted yet!
I'm glad it's not just me who hates electricity! I'm really strong on stuff like photoelectricity, though.

How are you guys with your definitions for stuff?
Would you try out this physics Unit 1 memory "course" I've been working on? I have about 40 definitions up so far, and it feels quite useful.

Let me know if it helps, and feel free to share if it does!
http://www.memrise.com/course/83265/as-aqa-physics-a/

Cheers :smile:
Reply 5
I'm okay with all the mechanics and stuff like that, hate the rest though. + what do we need to know about turbulent flow, all of the v^2 and v^3 stuff?
Reply 6
What?

Turbulent flow?
Has anyone here done the ISA physics aqa as ISA on springs yet? I could really use some help with it!!!!
Reply 8
I've done 3X, (part 1) but we are not allowed to tell you what is on it. If you haven't done it yet, don't worry, the practical is fine. Just make sure you think things through before you do them...
Reply 9
Eventhough i got a U in physics :colone: in january because of insufficient knowledge and no revision. After putting my mind to it i can safely say i am easily getting 55+ in Unit 1 papers and unit 2 are just as easy :P. Got a practical on resistivity we have to indentify the wire we have :P. Good luck guys!!!!
Reply 10
Any advice on electricity? I just can't make heads or tails of the exam queastions.
Reply 11
Original post by OliverG
Any advice on electricity? I just can't make heads or tails of the exam queastions.

Ditto! I feel exactly the same way, can't stand them
Reply 12
Original post by LAZYABDI
Eventhough i got a U in physics :colone: in january because of insufficient knowledge and no revision. After putting my mind to it i can safely say i am easily getting 55+ in Unit 1 papers and unit 2 are just as easy :P. Got a practical on resistivity we have to indentify the wire we have :P. Good luck guys!!!!
I think it was 56 for an A in January but that was an easy paper, anyone could do well in it, tbh you'd have to be extremely stupid to get below a C even if you didn't revise or turned up to any classes.
Reply 13
Original post by Namige
I think it was 56 for an A in January but that was an easy paper, anyone could do well in it, tbh you'd have to be extremely stupid to get below a C even if you didn't revise or turned up to any classes.

No it isnt that difficult to you maybe but lots of people found it hard.... Now that i look back at it i wouldnt say its easy but its alright. Thats why the exam results showed people with d's e's u's and c's with few getting B's and few with A's which is why the grade boundary was low.
Reply 14
No it isnt that difficult to you maybe but lots of people found it hard.... Now that i look back at it i wouldnt say its easy but its alright. Thats why the exam results showed people with d's e's u's and c's with few getting B's and few with A's which is why the grade boundary was low.
Actually it was the highest it's ever been. Have you actually looked at the boundaries for each year? Usually it's around the low 50s. The 6 marker on the jan paper was describe how to set up an experiment to measure resistance for heaven's sake.
Reply 15
Original post by Namige
Actually it was the highest it's ever been. Have you actually looked at the boundaries for each year? Usually it's around the low 50s. The 6 marker on the jan paper was describe how to set up an experiment to measure resistance for heaven's sake.

Again not everyone found it "easy" like you. I just found it rather weird and yes because of lack of knowledge did bad. It is quite easy now i look back at it but i didnt even bother to revise for it..
Reply 16
Again not everyone found it "easy" like you. I just found it rather weird and yes because of lack of knowledge did bad. It is quite easy now i look back at it but i didnt even bother to revise for it..
Why? Now you have to resit and that detracts from all your other exams. Was it worth it? Though I hope you make a good effort this period, otherwise it's resits next june!
Reply 17
Original post by Namige
Why? Now you have to resit and that detracts from all your other exams. Was it worth it? Though I hope you make a good effort this period, otherwise it's resits next june!

Yea true but to be honest i wasnt really motivated i just got by and played games i hope to change that this summer
Reply 18
I had a look at the Jan paper, and it was pretty easy.

Had I not been a silly bugger and done it at 8PM, and in doing so forgot that eV to Joules is x1.6x10whateveritis and not dividing by it, i'd have gotten an A in it.

Getting the last mark in the 3 markers was generally quite tricky however. Hopefully AQA don't turn around and give us an arse of a paper...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending