The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by CD223
Out of interest, how would you guys make 6 points about a question evaluating the use of artificial blood products and circulation aids?

Hopefully this will help, this is all I can think of off the top of my head.. I know there's more than enough points there, but some points will be better to choose because they are easier to justify, i.e. 'They don't need to match person's blood tissue, so the heart wont be rejected'

Advantages of artificial hearts;

- Don't need to match person's blood tissue, so the heart wont be rejected
- No need for immunosuppressant drugs, so the patient is less likely to become infected
-They can prolong life until a real heart is available
- Patients don't need to stay in hospital, allowing them to spend time with family
- Readily available

Disadvantages of artificial hearts;

- The motor inside the heart could run out/Batteries will need to be recharged regularly
- The patient will still have a major operation
- Need to take drugs that thin the blood, which may cause complications with other organs
- They are quite large, so some people may not actually be able to have them
Reply 41
Original post by Lucas.
Hopefully this will help, this is all I can think of off the top of my head.. I know there's more than enough points there, but some points will be better to choose because they are easier to justify, i.e. 'They don't need to match person's blood tissue, so the heart wont be rejected'

- No need for immunosuppressant drugs, so the patient is less likely to become infected
- Patients don't need to stay in hospital, allowing them to spend time with family
- Readily available

- The motor inside the heart could run out/Batteries will need to be recharged regularly
- Need to take drugs that thin the blood, which may cause complications with other organs

Thank you very much :smile:
Reply 42
Original post by CD223
Thank you very much :smile:

No problem. :smile:
Reply 43
Original post by Lucas.

- Readily available

Just to correct you, they are not particularly readily available but compared to a heart donor they are. I personally wouldn't say they are 'readily available'. I'd say they are more accessible compared to a heart donor.
Does anyone know where I can find the past paper & mark scheme for:
June 2012
January 2013
Reply 45
Original post by ffionhanathomas
Does anyone know where I can find the past paper & mark scheme for:
June 2012
January 2013

This is the very first examination session for the current specification. We are the first ever to sit the new B3 examinations. Therefore, there are only a few specimen papers floating around. If you are referring to the B1 or B2 papers, the link for these can be found in the OP
Reply 46
Original post by Lucas.

- Readily available

One more to add: They cause discomfort because batteries will be implanted into the patient.
Furthermore the drug is called Blood Thinners
Risk of infection is linked to operation, also perhaps low success rate?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 47
Anyone got a link to the b3 June 2012 paper? And ms
Reply 48
Anyone got a link to the b3 June 2012 paper?
Reply 49
Original post by Lucas.
Have you read the thread?

I kno im talking about old spec, need to improve exam technique...
Check the Aqa website :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 51
Original post by a123a
I kno im talking about old spec, need to improve exam technique...

Ahh okay, sorry man. I'll do some digging now to make up for being harsh. I'm sure someone must have it here anyway.

EDIT: Is this what you're looking for? http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-BLY3H-QP-JUN12.PDF
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 52
Original post by Lucas.
Ahh okay, sorry man. I'll do some digging now to make up for being harsh. I'm sure someone must have it here anyway.

EDIT: Is this what you're looking for? http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-BLY3H-QP-JUN12.PDF

Thank u! A life saver...Mark scheme?:colondollar:
Reply 53
Original post by a123a
Thank u! A life saver...Mark scheme?:colondollar:

No problem. :smile:

Here; http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-BLY3H-W-MS-JUN-2012.PDF
Reply 54

Tip, when finding past papers just type in the paper code fr example for June '10 higher:
JUN10BLY3H01
Thank you for the past paper & mark scheme link, will be helpful!
I'm really hoping to get an A* in this exam, but not feeling overly confident. Seems like most people think the 6 marker will be explaining the biogas generator..I'm torn between that and blood flow through the heart!
Reply 56
6 marker will be on global warming effects
Reply 57
There are 5 bullet points in the revision guide so that is my prediction
Reply 58
Original post by 142855
6 marker will be on global warming effects

I have just added that to the poll, thankyou for the suggestion!
Reply 59
i'm dreading this exam, it's a double exam B2 then B3 after, so if anyone has revision notes for B2 that would be great thanks ^.^

Latest

Trending

Trending