The Student Room Group

AQA Geography Unit 1 May 14th 2013

Scroll to see replies

I did pretty badly in the exam last year, but I learnt a lot from my January resit:
Less is more. The text books tend to give an excess of info. For my resit the school didn't have enough text books to lend me one, so I got a CGP revision guide. I tell you it is biblical. It explains things so simply, and if you want more detail, check your text book.
Case studies: Learn a few facts for each aspect, but don't over do it. Also learn other 'examples' even if you have no facts, it shows you know they exist and you look clever :wink:
Also know what the command words mean. I lost SOOOO many marks in my first paper for not knowing the right ones :frown:
If you get a graph question, take one or two figures from the graph to put in your answer.
Good Luck :smile: Hopefully you won't have to try it 2nd time around like I did :smile:
PS- Check the official specification on the AQA website to make suure you haven't missed anything!!
Original post by gracecooke55
I did pretty badly in the exam last year, but I learnt a lot from my January resit:
Less is more. The text books tend to give an excess of info. For my resit the school didn't have enough text books to lend me one, so I got a CGP revision guide. I tell you it is biblical. It explains things so simply, and if you want more detail, check your text book.
Case studies: Learn a few facts for each aspect, but don't over do it. Also learn other 'examples' even if you have no facts, it shows you know they exist and you look clever :wink:
Also know what the command words mean. I lost SOOOO many marks in my first paper for not knowing the right ones :frown:
If you get a graph question, take one or two figures from the graph to put in your answer.
Good Luck :smile: Hopefully you won't have to try it 2nd time around like I did :smile:
PS- Check the official specification on the AQA website to make suure you haven't missed anything!!

Can I ask what mark you got first time right, then afterwards? I really need some motivation as my geography AS grades haven't been great!
Original post by romahen
retaking this exam and i've pretty much done no revision so i'm fvcked :'( i literally know nothing. definitely gonna fail again fml.

Do you mind getting 0 if that is the case?

I need the grade boundaries to be low for this!

:P Only kidding, just cram my friend, cram.
Original post by Daniel George
80% in UMS
LIES! I have seen past grade boundaries and its just above 60-65% most times
Got an e, then a b :smile: xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you doing coasts? How do you remember all of it :gah:
And how much detail should you go into for something like meanders?
Just lots of notes. Flash cards for case studies. Past papers for a week before thr exam :smile:
For meanders it depends how many marks anf whatvthe command word is xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys CGP books are great you learn from them you can't go wrong
Original post by Luis suarez LFC
Hey guys CGP books are great you learn from them you can't go wrong

Stuff on hard engineering on them is great :biggrin:
Original post by MAGNeticattITUDE
LIES! I have seen past grade boundaries and its just above 60-65% most times

U

M

S

- 65% Raw mark = 80% UMS

Lol quote people when you do that :biggrin:
Reply 452
hey:smile:
what kind of things are you supposed to write about on the article questions and graph questions? Like how much is from the text and how much is own knowledge?

Also on discuss questions what do you write, how do you offer a discussion and opinion?
so confused:')
Original post by student55
hey:smile:
what kind of things are you supposed to write about on the article questions and graph questions? Like how much is from the text and how much is own knowledge?

Also on discuss questions what do you write, how do you offer a discussion and opinion?
so confused:')

I asked my teacher this!
We had a mock exam June 2011 I believe...
There was an article about sustainable management in a desert region. It gave information on what they plan to do.
When I answered the question, I used the information given and I explained how it would make the desert region sustainable. I also suggested other methods similar and gave a few named examples; i.e. Using phreatophytes as the shrubs to reach the water table.

Our teacher said that about 25-40% should be from the article and the rest should be from our own geographical knowledge to get the top marks.
However, it does depend on the question being asked

i.e. If it says Use figure 5 only, then it should be more 70% from article, 30% from own knowledge.

But if it is like, with the help of figure 5, then it should be about 30% from the article and the rest your own knowledge!

Hope that this helps!
Original post by Cat123456
same - is it just me finding the energy topic so so horrible? it like, changes every day!

Yeah, I find it interesting (Geopolitics stuff) but it's just becoming a pain to revise...much prefer the physical side. However, I find it far easier to get the marks for the human as even if I don't know the precise answer, it's easier to make a logical guess!
Original post by Blueray2
Lol quote people when you do that :biggrin:

My phone wouldn't let me :frown: I was on about the CGP Books :smile:
Reply 456
Original post by Alex-Torres
Here are Jan 2013 grade boundaries

Thanks, wow they're really low.
Original post by Blueray2
Where did you get 15 mark example answers from? :biggrin: And tips to memorise everything? I've got river landforms and stuff on coasts still to do?
How much detail we looking for 15 markers on physical geography, not human, i know human is a lot more stats. :smile:
Thanks.

as much detail as you can fit in in 15 mins tbh, I find its so hard to write them when im not in the exam or a mock but you just get on with it if your in an exam :smile: quite a lot of them I just bullet point, it makes it easier for me to get my point across but then for some that structure doesn't suit the question. basically just introduction with a definition, make a point, explain it, then make another point.... etc then either end it or give a conclusion. sorry if that doesn't make sense I haven't read it back :L
as much detail as you can fit in in 15 mins tbh, I find its so hard to write them when im not in the exam or a mock but you just get on with it if your in an exam :smile: quite a lot of them I just bullet point, it makes it easier for me to get my point across but then for some that structure doesn't suit the question. basically just introduction with a definition, make a point, explain it, then make another point.... etc then either end it or give a conclusion. sorry if that doesn't make sense I haven't read it back :L

Haha yeah thats great :biggrin: But like I have so much detail for some of these features its ridiculous :s-smilie:

Original post by LucyQ
Thanks, wow they're really low.

My phone wouldn't let me :frown: I was on about the CGP Books :smile:

Original post by JLKeating
Yeah, I find it interesting (Geopolitics stuff) but it's just becoming a pain to revise...much prefer the physical side. However, I find it far easier to get the marks for the human as even if I don't know the precise answer, it's easier to make a logical guess!

Original post by CurtisDean
I asked my teacher this!
We had a mock exam June 2011 I believe...
There was an article about sustainable management in a desert region. It gave information on what they plan to do.
When I answered the question, I used the information given and I explained how it would make the desert region sustainable. I also suggested other methods similar and gave a few named examples; i.e. Using phreatophytes as the shrubs to reach the water table.

Our teacher said that about 25-40% should be from the article and the rest should be from our own geographical knowledge to get the top marks.
However, it does depend on the question being asked

i.e. If it says Use figure 5 only, then it should be more 70% from article, 30% from own knowledge.

But if it is like, with the help of figure 5, then it should be about 30% from the article and the rest your own knowledge!

Hope that this helps!

Original post by SimpleTom
U

M

S

- 65% Raw mark = 80% UMS

Can you order these land forms for me from upper course middle course and lower course? :biggrin:

Braided channels
Meanders
floodplains and levees
river terraces

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending