The Student Room Group

Higher Modern Studies 2012-13: Discussion and Help Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by skier16
PR you need to discuss more than 1 voting system, i.e. not exclusively FPTP and AMS, and compare the general advantages / disadvantages.

So what if you used both AMS and STV for PR and compare it to FPTP? I haven't done a thing on PR
Reply 1381
so for wealth it would be like where people stay stuff like that. then the gov responses would be national minimum wage stuff like that. and for health it would be like lifestyle and u would mention like the smoking ban x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Bit random but good linking words/phrases :smile: :

furthermore, additionally, in addition, moreover, as well as this, aside from this

however, even so, despite this, although, yet still, nonetheless, on the other hand
I've done nothing on pr can anyone be so helpful and provide me with an essay plan or essay?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1384
Original post by Pabbie
so for wealth it would be like where people stay stuff like that. then the gov responses would be national minimum wage stuff like that. and for health it would be like lifestyle and u would mention like the smoking ban x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Gov responses is like, welfare to work, new deal, NMW and tax ccredits lifestyle, if obesity, smoking, drinking, lack of exercise etc
Original post by xoJennyox
Please help :s-smilie:.

Is the opposition towards the CPC the same as the human rights and democracy question for China?

Yep they're basically the exact same, just worded differently :smile:
when this exam is over i'm coming home, cracking a beer open and literally not moving for 15 hours
Original post by lala4

Critically examine the view that government, not individuals, should be responsible for
health care and welfare provision.

This essay is about collectivist and individualist approaches to health care and welfare provision.
Your answer could describe these, look at how they affect the policies govts adopt, and then consider how successful they have been.

Intro could state welfare state a safety net for those in need of welfare and health care - cradle to the grave. Funded through general taxation and like an insurance system, pays for help at when people need it. However, parties disagree on how the help should be organised and how much
responsibility individuals should have.

The individualist view (traditionally Conservatives) stresses that differences in health and wealth explained by individual lifestyle choices - health, some drink, smoke, use drugs, eat a poor diet and do little exercise. Poverty - some fail to get qualifications, some opt for state benefits rather than work for low pay. (Figures could be given to show link between poverty and poor health.)

Individualists - criticise 'nanny state' - aim to reduce state role so that individuals take more
responsibility tighter controls on benefits and strict tests on those who qualify (e.g. for disability benefits). For health, emphasis on educating people through health campaigns to make better choices. Individualists more open to private health care and introducing private companies into the NHS (e.g. catering, cleaning)

Collectivists say reality is more complex stress many want to work but caught in poverty trap cycle of deprivation difficult to break out of - link between poverty and ill health poor lifestyle choices often result of situation disadvantaged are in - so merely calling for better choices not enough govt action needed to tackle complex and inter-related causes of poverty and poor health

Blair Labour govt accepted link between poverty and ill-health collectivist approach based on govt reports (Acheson) policies aimed to reduce social inclusion - use benefits to help people back to work aim to cut poverty, raise self-esteem, improve health. Policies included New Deal, Job Centre Plus, Sure Start, Tax credits. Health policies included target setting, smoking ban, govt programmes to tackle obesity, etc..

Labour policies brought some successes (statistics). However very expensive massive growth in public spending on benefits and NHS. Some say major cause of recession.

Could conclude by saying severe govt cuts now under way by coalition govt - likely to see a swing
back to less expensive individualist policies .. could cause difficulties for many Lib Dems who tend
to be more collectivist and some believe could threaten the coalition.

Posted from TSR Mobile
anyone got a paragraph plan for:
With devolution there is need no need for Scottish representation at Westminster
Language to use:
In particular, more importantly/noteworthy, of greater priority/significance, less importantly, without doubt, in fact.

Contrast: however, but, on the other hand, in contrast, in contradiction, alternatively, contrary, despite.

Argument: likewise, similarity, in agreement with, equally.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1390
Original post by 2013exams
So what if you used both AMS and STV for PR and compare it to FPTP? I haven't done a thing on PR

PR in itself isn't a voting system, it simply means that the percentage of votes = percentage of seats (the result is proportional.) So by discussing AMS and STV and comparing it to FPTP, that's you answering a question about PR.
Hopefully that makes sense!
Original post by skier16
PR in itself isn't a voting system, it simply means that the percentage of votes = percentage of seats (the result is proportional.) So by discussing AMS and STV and comparing it to FPTP, that's you answering a question about PR.
Hopefully that makes sense!

That's a relief, thanks a lot!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1392
Somebody asking for peoples predicitions last page. Here are the essays I'm learning-

Health & Wealth
Wealth on health
Collectivists vs Individualists

China
Opposition to CPC
Social and economic change in China

USA
Ethnic minorities impact on elections
Social and economic change with minorities

Voting Systems and Voting Behavior

AMS vs FPTP
STV vs FPTP

Africa
NGO impact on development
UN impact on development

(Underlined ones are ones I've gone over)
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by hendycfc
Somebody asking for peoples predicitions last page. Here are the essays I'm learning-

Health & Wealth
Wealth on health

China
Opposition to CPC

USA

AMS vs FPTP
STV vs FPTP

Africa
UN impact on development

Your predictions would be perfect! :biggrin:
Any REALLY important, super brilliant all-rounder facts for the DME anyone? :wink:
Original post by hendycfc

Health & Wealth
Wealth on health

China
Opposition to CPC

USA

AMS vs FPTP
STV vs FPTP

Africa
UN impact on development

why are people predicting wealth on health? isnt there a better chance of life style coming up? ah well lol either one will suit me fine.

are you not revising for voting behaviour either? :biggrin:
Reply 1396
Income on health essays anybody?! Please!!
Original post by hollieeilloh
Any REALLY important, super brilliant all-rounder facts for the DME anyone? :wink:

- At this time of economic hardship and high unemployment.
- Our opponents from the traditional wing of old labour and welfarist supporters will criticise our proposal
-austerity Britain etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
This is what I had lying about:
CHILDREN
3.6 million children live in poverty. That's 27% of all children in UK
62% of children in poverty have at least 1 working parent
Children recieving free school meals get an average 1.7 grades lower at GCSE
Child poverty costs £25bn per year
Only 5% of accepted university applicants were from "routine occupations"

55% ofaccepted university applicants are female.

Ethnicity
Only 1% of UK pop Black african, but 5.6 of accepted uni applicants black african.

Health/social class
Most deprived: 40% smoke; least deprived: 11% smoke
MD: 1,600 alcohol related hospital admissions per 100k; LD: 214 /100k
>50% of drug deaths from MD areas
Cancer rate in LD areas: 157/100k; MD areas: 276/100k
Life expectancy about 11 years higher for men in LD areas
MD areas: 31% born with very low birth weight; LD: 13%
MD: 46% of children have dental decay; LD: 19%
MD: 25% of children overweight; LD: 18% overweight
£170,000,000 is spent on trying to reduce these inequalities each year

Initiatives
In 2010/11, £60,000,000 was spent to help adults with substance abuse issues
Childsmile: designed to improve dental health
Keep Well: Health checks in MD areas
Deprived areas allowance gives dentists £9k per year to set up in MD areas
Smoking Ban 2006: 2/3 of smokers with second hand smoke issues in 1998; this fell to 1/4 in 2010
Quit4U: Dundee initiative that's been praised
affulenza
Idea that more money = more happiness
Benefits
New Labour tried to tackle welfare dependancy through work programmes like the New Deal
Equal Pay
Equal pay act ammended in 2003 - women must be paid the same as men for the same job.
Glass Ceiling
Only 12.5% of local authority leaders are women
Only 10% of FTSE 100 directors are women
Some females have broke the glass ceiling:
Susan Rice, CEO of LLOYDS TSB SCOT

Some five million UK households, or 19.2 per cent of the total, are now in fuel poverty, according to the report.
A full-time nursery place for a toddler now costs £11,000 a year!
Employer Supported Childcare scheme: this enables workers to exchange up to £243 of their gross salary for childcare vouchers, which are exempt from tax and national insurance contributions, saving basic-rate taxpayers up to £933 a year. In use since 1998. Less than 5% of businesses offer it.
Would some kind person be able to mail me a collectivist/individualist essay or essay plan? :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending