The Student Room Group

Higher Modern Studies 2012-13: Discussion and Help Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by skier16
Hmm... AMS question was an absolute gift, so was health and wealth. Global security wasn't what I'd predicted but we wrote the same essay a few weeks back and USA, I'm pretty sure I've not answered the question!

The DME was probably the best one I've ever seen though!:smile:
Did anyone else find the source (I think it was C4) about the ages of smokers a bit hard to fit in?

I made up some waffle about younger people being more likely to smoke because they think it makes them seem "cool," :confused: in order to incorporate C4.
Also, thank you very much for your ethnic minority essay which you emailed me. It came in very handy. :tongue:
The DME was an absolute god send! Infant both papers were! Gutted the cut off will go up :frown:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1582
Original post by ladymarshmallow
I made up some waffle about younger people being more likely to smoke because they think it makes them seem "cool," :confused: in order to incorporate C4.
Also, thank you very much for your ethnic minority essay which you emailed me. It came in very handy. :tongue:

Ah okay that makes sense.
Haha no problem! Hopefully it won't be the same person marking it then :biggrin:
Reply 1583
How much do people think they could realistically change the cut-off mark by?
I argued for it.
Regarding the DME, if you have 3 solid arguments for and against, have used all the sources and BK, is a 25+ mark pretty much guaranteed (including the short Qs)?

I did three arguments for my proposal and against but the last two of each were a little weak if I am honest. I did use all the sources and BK so I think I have got at least 13/20.

And the SAQs were a breeze- I think I got full marks on them. So I think overall I have probably 23/30 which is okay for me ^_^.

The essays were great this year and I hope that I have got around 10-11 on each. Maybe more on some but if I got 10 on each and 23/30 on my DME then I have an A! Please be true!
Original post by scotland_1
The DME was pure magic, but the decision making in central gov question about the cabinet! aaah! also can someone help- it doesnt matter what order you answered them in the book does it? i did A4,B6,C8 then A2?

Nope, it doesn't matter :smile:
Original post by skier16
How much do people think they could realistically change the cut-off mark by?

I don't think it ever changes too much for MS. Are you thinking higher or lower grade boundaries this time?
Quite pleased with that! Waffled a bit on a couple of essays but I think there was enough content to get quite a few marks, then the other 2 were good! DME was very nice also, hope I got at least 25/30!
Original post by Officegirl4
The DME was an absolute god send! In fact both papers were! Gutted the cut off will go up :frown:

Will it really? The standard cut off is 63/90 or 70%, but I doubt they'd put it higher than that...:confused: Looking at grade boundaries from 2007 onwards it's been
61, 62, 63, 63, 62, 63 /90 respectively.
Original post by Officegirl4
The DME was an absolute god send! In fact both papers were! Gutted the cut off will go up :frown:

I doubt it will much. I'd imagine it'll stay at 63 for an A. It doesn't really change that much.
Reply 1590
Original post by xoJennyox
I don't think it ever changes too much for MS. Are you thinking higher or lower grade boundaries this time?

Hopefully not!:biggrin:
Higher boundaries I guess - a couple of people here are saying it was quite an easy paper compared to previous years, especially the DME, and I probably agree.
How much does it matter if you haven't used all the sources for the DME? I think I forgot to include one :frown:
Will it really? The standard cut off is 63/90 or 70%, but I doubt they'd put it higher than that...:confused: Looking at grade boundaries from 2007 onwards it's been

They won't go up to 64 or 65 will they :frown::frown::frown:?

If it doesn't then that'll be amazing!
They won't go up to 64 or 65 will they :frown::frown::frown:?

Seriously doubt it, tbh.
Horrendous DME!
Original post by StupidMaths
Horrendous DME!

I think that me and you are the only one who think this. I didn't like it either.
Seriously doubt it, tbh.

Let's hope so because if I don't get an A then I don't know what I will do with myself. Seriously.
Original post by hihelloitsnina
How much does it matter if you haven't used all the sources for the DME? I think I forgot to include one :frown:

I think you fail if you don't use all the sources...sorry :s-smilie:.
Let's hope so because if I don't get an A then I don't know what I will do with myself. Seriously.

Same here...at least, I don't ever have to touch my notes again.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending