The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE English Literature Exams - 20th and 23rd May 2013 *OFFICAL THREAD*

Scroll to see replies

I am doing:

Of Mice And Men

A View From The Bridge

Pride and Prejudice & Carol Ann Duffy

I am predicted an A*, yet I am really worried about these exams. My answers generally seem quite general and lack structure.

Has anybody got any ideas on how to structure a plan to any of these exams. I usually choose the extract based questions if there is an option.

Thank you!
Grammar i would really like those resources you have on offer since im going for an a* in litarature can you please send me the resources, however i do not know how to email you my email
Original post by tc-j
Any chance? Or am I too late?
C-J

Original post by Miladrises
Grammar i would really like those resources you have on offer since im going for an a* in litarature can you please send me the resources, however i do not know how to email you my email

Pm me your email address and I will TRY to get round to it, no promises though!
Original post by grammar12
No, the questions are not separated in terms of UMS. They usually try to moderate questions before printing to ensure that they all ask you the the same caliber of information (they aren't usually too complicated) and don't make it really difficult for one question and not the other. Another factor to consider is that it's the responses to the questions that give you your grade. They could give you a really simple question and you could score worse than with a more complex question, it is ALL down to the points you make and how thorough your understanding of the book is. A simple question could be something such as: Name one theme in of mice and men and explain how steinbeck uses it to full effect throughout the novel, and how it influences the audiences view of the novella? However, they don't do this because they like to give students a starting point, they are more likely to give you a question for example, The american dream is a recurring theme throughout OMAM, how does steinbeck use this theme to describe the state of america in the 1920's? Either question would result in equal distribution of marks, but they would always go for the second because it gives a direction to the essays which make them easier to mark. It is the same with all the books in the paper, they all have a starting point. However, ultimately, it is the response from the student that gives them their mark, If people write poor essays for the crucible, that is tough luck and no fault of AQA as the questions all ask pretty much the same thing. In terms of equality, they only have uniform mark distribution between separate exam boards/papers. If edexcel lit is harder, the UMS for AQA will be very high (few extra UMS per mark) whereas edexcel will be low. I think that the books should be sat in different papers to ensure that everyone is treated fairly, because I know that studying Macbeth (the hardest book on the paper) is much more difficult than all the others which makes it unfair for people like me having to battle through the paper! Anyway, I hope I helped with minimal amounts of waffling! :biggrin:

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my question , I feel privileged that someone has gone into this much detail! Oh and also do you by any chance have any resources on 'The Crucible' or 'Purple Hibiscus' which you could send, if you don't (which is most likely as I'm guessing you only studied OMAM and another text ), its cool :smile:
Original post by goldfish21
Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my question , I feel privileged that someone has gone into this much detail! Oh and also do you by any chance have any resources on 'The Crucible' or 'Purple Hibiscus' which you could send, if you don't (which is most likely as I'm guessing you only studied OMAM and another text ), its cool :smile:

Unfortunately no, I dont, however, try Get revising.com because they have LOADS of revision materials! Also, just google crucible revision guide free and see what comes up :smile:
Will our papers be marked twice??I'm scared I'll get a harsh marker!
Original post by grammar12
Pm me your email address and I will TRY to get round to it, no promises though!

How do I pm you I'm new here at sr
Original post by Miladrises
How do I pm you I'm new here at sr

click on my name, go on my profile, and then, under my profile picture there should be an option to send a private message
Hey, I've had a really bad teacher for my English. I would really appreciate it if I could get some tips on journeys end and/or Seamus Heaney
Can someone explain to me what the hell we are actually meant to do in the exam cause our English department is terrible and I have no clue!
What is most likely to come up on the Inspector Calls Section or the Mice and Men section?
Reply 150
what poems are most likley to come in the conflict section of moon on the tides
Reply 151
Do any of you know how to structure an actual answer on AIC or OMAM? I am confident with themes, characters and context but I don't know what I'm meant to be mentioning in answer.

I was thinking something like

Point
Evidence with quote
Explain quote
Offer an alternative explanation
Mention a link to a wider theme in AIC/ mention context in OMAM
Mention effect on reader in OMAM/ mention effect on audience e.g. stage directions in AIC

But I'm really not sure and I'm so worried for the Literature exams :-(
I also do not know how to structure an answer/paragraph for AIC...

Also, in part b in OMAM, how do you analyse language closely, i always find it difficult to home in on a particular language feature/technique, yet looking at examiners reports they all say that candidates could have had more of a precise focus on specific quoutes etc...
conflict cluster anyone know the predicted poems in higher?
I made this post ages ago and thought it may help some of you:

Setting questions are improbable, I would recommend thoroughly revising themes and motifs and then every character in enough detail to make some key points on the way they are presented and how they contribute to whatever the question is asking you. Another thing that is really important is detailed analysis, don't focus on many areas. In the jan paper, it asked you how crooks was presented in the extract. Instead of making general comments such as "he is portrayed as an extremely solitary person, who has little in the way of friends, yet many possessions" i wrote something along the lines of "In the extract, Crooks is displayed as an extremely lonely and solitary character. He is described as having a "mauled copy of the California civil code", this not only alludes to his passion for reading, but also enforces the idea that he is passionate about furthering his self worth through education. The "California civil code" is also crucial at commenting on his treatment throughout the novella, he is widely discriminated against by almost everybody on the farm and requires this "civil code" to ensure that he knows his rights. (Insert historical note about treatment of blacks)"

That is extremely rough and not excellently developed but i'm sure you get what I mean. Multiple level analysis impresses the examiners so use some of that. They also love historical context, exploration of ideas though creative responses, comments on narratives, structure and form and several other elements.

IF CROOKS COMES UP, USE THIS " CROOKS' SOLITARY NATURE IS TINTED WITH HOPE AND DESPERATION. WHEN LENNIE ENTERS HIS ROOM, HE PRETENDS THAT HE DOESN'T WANT HIM TO STICK AROUND, THIS IS ENFORCES BY THE QUOTE "INSERT QUOTE". HIS SOLITARY NATURE IS ALSO PROVEN BY THE WAY THAT HE IS INITIALLY PRESENTED, EACH AND EVERY CHARACTER IN THE BOOK IS PRESENTED AND DESCRIBED THROUGH THE NARRATIVES OF OTHER CHARACTERS. CROOKS HOWEVER, IS NOT. HE IS DESCRIBED IN THE THIRD PERSON USING THE VOICE OF THE NARRATOR, THIS PROVES HIS ISOLATION AS NOBODY ELSE ON THE FARM KNOWS ENOUGH TO BE ABLE TO DESCRIBE HIM."

When I got my script back a few weeks ago, the examiner circled the paragraph and wrote exemplar response next to it. she also did a lovely smiley face

I have also now reached the 750 mark in terms of sending my revision resources, it is really nice that everyone is so thankful and I really appreciate that however, please, please only ask for them if you are in special circumstances because it is taking up far too much time to send them off individually to everyone! I wish everyone the best of luck in all your exams!
Reply 155
Original post by goldfish21
Hey to all who quoted me, well basically what I would start doing is to go through each of the poems in your anthology for the cluster you are studying, and make sure you understand each poem in depth especially the poems which are likely to come up. Then , on lined paper make a sub-heading for each poem and clearly make a neat list of each point you want to make and reference it to other poems you would want to compare it to under the sub-heading. If you are in need of more points/annotations I would recommend buying a Philip Allan revision guide or watching "Mr Bruff's" you tube videos which include in depth analysis if most of the poems. Also I would include key quotations for each point so you won't waste time in the exam finding and picking out quotes from the poems.
Concerning how to structure the actual answer in the exam , I would just do what the question says as simple as that, as each question is different i.e if it asks you about structure, talk about structure of the poems. However my main point about exam responses would be to TALK A LOT ABOUT A LITTLE AND DO NOT FEATURE SPOT lol, our teacher rammed this into our heads and it works! Anyway , good luck , you can do really well in this exam if you put the revision in , with most people in our class getting above there target grades in the Jan 2013 exam.

Thank you so much! Thank God I've already done most of what you said but the extra bits are really helpful! Thanks again!
What poems are most likely to come up in the relationships cluster - i know it was farmers bride and hour this January

- also any ideas on which characters could come up on inspector calls - Sheila, Gerald and the inspector have come up before

Is there a chance slim will come up seeing as crooks came up before , and so have Lennie and George ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone have any revision stuff for AIC and OMAM I haven't had an English teacher so I have NOOOO idea what am doing
thanks.
Original post by Kainej1997
Does anyone have any revision stuff for AIC and OMAM I haven't had an English teacher so I have NOOOO idea what am doing
thanks.

Go to www.stb.coop and go to the Subjects section. Go to English and go on KS4 English. Scroll down and there should be revision notes for you to download and print out :smile:
CAN SOMEONE HELP - does anyone know a breakdown of the percentages for the English Literature grade how much is the exams and the controlled assessments?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending