The Student Room Group

AQA Psychology A - AS: June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AbiHem
Do you have the link for the Unit 1 chart :smile:?

Here you go :smile:
Reply 41
Original post by mynameisntbobk

Thank u so much you are a genius!
Reply 42

Thank you so much! What do you reckon the Unit 1 12 marker will be this time?!
Original post by AbiHem
Thank you so much! What do you reckon the Unit 1 12 marker will be this time?!

I have no idea, I'm presuming itll be on the stress section, but I so hope not. Maybe social change & minority influence research maybe?
Reply 44
Hi guys...
Trying to do a bit of revision for this exam, could do with some help?
6 marks worth for the body's response to stress (SAM pathway and HPA axis) - what would be your 6 marking points for each?
Thanks xxx
Original post by MegMoo12
Hi guys...
6 marks worth for the body's response to stress (SAM pathway and HPA axis) - what would be your 6 marking points for each?
Thanks xxx

SAM
-Response to acute stressors
-SNS branch of ANS activated
-Fight or flight instincts activated such as pupil dilating
-Essential instinct for survival
-(PSNS activates as well, responsible for rest and digest responses)
-Activates the adrenal medulla
-Adrenaline and noradrenaline released

HPA
-Response to chronic stressors
-Hypothalamus activated
-CRF (corticotrophin releasing factor) released
-CRF activates pituitary gland
-Pituitary gland produces ACTH (adrenocorticotrophic hormone) which travels to adrenal cortex
-Cortisteroids released from adrenal cotex, including cortisol
-Stress effects produced
Reply 46
For unit 2, im going to guess either Workplace Stress or Psychodynamic approach! Either would be terrible since i hate both. (Though the worst for me would be social change).
Original post by Jkizer
For unit 2, im going to guess either Workplace Stress or Psychodynamic approach! Either would be terrible since i hate both. (Though the worst for me would be social change).

Workplace stress would be horrible. I really hope its not on individual differences at all, or that side of stress. Social change isn't too bad though, there's just a lack of research.

I'd love it to be on research into conformity, explainations of why people conform, (same two with obedience) or independant behaviour, yeah, I'm pretty much only confident with the social section
Reply 48
Does anyone have an idea as to what the Unit 1 12 marker will be!?
Reply 49
I think the unit 1 12 marker might be institutionalisation, privation or social development in daycare what do u think?
Original post by wedgy
I think the unit 1 12 marker might be institutionalisation, privation or social development in daycare what do u think?

Won't be privation, that was January's 12 marker
Guys, I've finally done it, it basically shows you what has come up in past unit 2 papers, after someone requested it, took all day, but enjoy. Hope it helps, and sorry for the quality.

Any ideas on what you think might come up for 12 marker?
Original post by yodawg321
Any ideas on what you think might come up for 12 marker?

Maybe research into how stress affects our immune system or therapies for abnormality.
Hmm, possibly something on independent behaviour, its been on a lot of the past paper though
I was just wondering whether there could be a 12 mark question on social change as there is very little you could really write about for it. And could there be just an abnormality therapies question and if so would you also include the approach? What topic does everyone feel they are weakest at? For me it has to be abnormality, probably because i've revised stress to death and social influence just seems quite straightforward to me. Also, for the behavioural approach would you evaluate both the little albert stufy and criticisms of the model itself? Sorry for so many questions but I'm really hoping to get an A.
Original post by MegMoo12
Hi guys...
Thanks xxx

This pretty much covers full marks (from Psychteacher):

The acute stress response (SAM pathway)
When the body is threatened by an immediate danger, such as being attacked or hearing a sudden loud noise, the physiological response is immediately alerting (felt as a jump) followed by a rapid increase in heart rate, breathing rate, sweating, butterflies in the stomach, nausea, dilated pupils, and so on. This is caused initially by sympathetic nerves which stimulate the body's organs directly (through noradrenaline synapses), and then by a slow release of adrenaline from the adrenal medulla (the adrenal glands are located at the top of each kidney). When there is no longer any danger, adrenaline stops being released and the body slowly returns to normal over the next few minutes.

The chronic stress response (HPA pathway)
Stressful events that persist for an extended period of time are perceived by the hypothalamus. The hypothalamus (located in the brain) releases CRF (corticotropin releasing factor) which travels through the blood to the pituitary gland (also in the brain). The pituitary gland releases ACTH (adrenocorticotropic hormone) which travel through the blood stream to the adrenal cortex (part of the adrenal gland situated at the top of each kidney) which releases corticosteroids (including cortisol). Cortisol has a wide range of effects on the body including increased blood pressure, sweating, vigilance, improved emotional memory, increased production of glucose from glycogen in the liver, and weakens the immune system.

i think this is most likely to come up as an applied question :smile:
For unit 1, what are the strategies for memory improvement? I literally have nothing to revise from, we haven't been given notes on this and I don't have a text book and the rest of the web is pretty useless. Thank you :smile:
Reply 57
i think ive come to this a few months late haha, still, anyone got any tips for unit 2?? this is my second time retaking it, dont get what ive done wrong! any tips or help would be very welcome :smile:
Original post by wedgy

It was on Privation in Jan.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Loool we have like 3 different threads going on for psychology unit 2. Everybody jump on this one

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2345231

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending