The Student Room Group

Recommendations for places to visit in South East Asia?

I'm planning on travelling to South East Asia next year for my gap year, hopefully spending a few months just going from place to place and was wondering if there is anyone who could recommend certain places to visit or certain occasions during the year that are unmissable? The countries I have my eye on are Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, Indonesia and possibly Burma/Myanmar. Thank you and I appreciate your help!
Reply 1
Original post by chipwitter
I'm planning on travelling to South East Asia next year for my gap year, hopefully spending a few months just going from place to place and was wondering if there is anyone who could recommend certain places to visit or certain occasions during the year that are unmissable? The countries I have my eye on are Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, Indonesia and possibly Burma/Myanmar. Thank you and I appreciate your help!

I recommend you to visit Indonesia! I think this article will give you a brief description of what this country look like http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Indonesia_Island_Hopping :smile:
Original post by chipwitter

Hey! :smile: I'm travelling south east Asia at the moment, been here for five and a half weeks now (out of 10..) and I'm loving it!! The best advice I could give you would be to have a flexible plan. I planned to travel Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam in 7 and a half weeks before flying to Indonesia and returning to Singapore for my onward flight. By the time I leave I'd have spent six weeks in Thailand and around 10 days in Cambodia :tongue: so, based on my experience, I cannot recommend Thailand highly enough. I love it,I've had such a wonderful time there :smile: certain places? Most people follow the usual route, if you Google online. Not included is kanchanaburi in Thailand. Loved it so so much. My overnight trip turned in to a ten day stay! Met the most amazing people, rode an elephant for the first time, spent my days lying by the river. It was bliss :smile: I went to Burma for the day too, which was cool :smile: let me know if you have any specific questions about anything :biggrin:
Reply 3
I recommend going to the Philippines. It is cheap, fun, great beaches, and there are not as many tourists as in all the other countries discussed above...
Reply 4
the islands off sihanoukville in Cambodia, deserted paradise!
The beach at Hoi An.
Halong bay with hanoi backapcker hostel
Reply 5
I travelled SE Asia for 4 months doing thailand, cambodia laos and vietnam.
The best place was Koh Rong, an island of sihanoukville in Cambodia, best place everrrr
Pai in North thailand is also ridiculously nice!
Hanoi was pretty sweet in Vietnam, be sure to stay in hanoi backpackers!

In thailand you should stay in the 'Spicy Backpacker' hostels they have them in Koh Tao, Chaing Mai and Pai, they're opening one in Vang Vieng in Laos as well!! they're the best hostels i've ever stayed in.

I regret not going to indonesia, it looks amazing

Quick Reply

Latest