The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Skez0
1. I don't think that was right. Sorry. Join the club.

2. Not sure on the first part of the question.

3. I put a similar advantage but for the disadvantage I said that the old machine was less portable and more expensive to produce. No idea if this is right.

I also put that. I think it's right.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Skez0
I am pretty sure that was a heart. First question right?

No the one on the lungs; question 4 I think ; had arrow obit and one way in,
loads of circular things in what looked like the alveolus and one way out, with arrows flowing out! Surely it was the lungs with artery, capillary and vein?
Original post by SportsFan
For the first question did we have to say left and right?

No, you won't have to. You will get the marks for just naming the chambers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1483
how many marks out of 60 for an A* do you reckon?
I think the test was easy but me being me, i didn't open the first page, didn't see it, and already lost 6 marks :mad:
Reply 1485
Original post by MightyJoeD
I also put that. I think it's right.

I was temped to note that the old dialysis machine looked like it would probably shop you in half and be extremely likely to explode at any given moment. This was probably not going to be relevant though.
Original post by 1996smpam
I messed up on the humidity/marathon runner question - i said as it is humid the blood gets hots and so it detected by the thermoregulatory centre, it then recalls the temperature but can't cool the person down to the humidity. - what on EARTH is WRONG with me!!!!!

Hahaha, at least you answered it. I just couldn't work it. Until after the exam

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Skez0
I have no idea what UMS is. How many UMS is each paper out of?

UMS stands for Uniform Mark Scheme. Found this person who explains what the UMS is well: http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110108064931AAfz7yg

Each of the paper's has a top of 100 UMS, as does your ISA paper to give a total of 400 UMS for the whole GCSE.
No, you won't have to. You will get the marks for just naming the chambers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I hope so, completely forgot to write left or right.
It would be harsh if they did
Chemistry 3 on Monday
Physics 3 on Thursday (I Think)
Stupid English Lit :angry:
Modern texts same day as C3
Poetry same day as P3
Original post by shibucool
Yes it has because the glucagon made in the pancreas will make the glycogen break down to glucose in the liver. The glucose is then released into your blood causing a higher concentration of glucose.

Yes but it was about a blood vessel being connected to the heart
What did you all put for the one about how the 2 ventilator machines were different? :smile:
What would 39/50 on biology ISA be in UMS?
Original post by holly12345
was the very last question asking us to talk about how glucagon was secreted by the pancreas and taken in by the liver to produce glucose from glycogen and then put into the blood?

I hate to predict these things, but I expect the A* mark will be no higher than 50 at most. It depends on the politics of it all. I predict 48 as an A*, as it was a quite hard exam paper with rigorous topics on.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Me too! I understand it now and when I first came out of the exam.
Reply 1494

Posted from TSR Mobile

What was the answer for the marathon runner? Im not sure about my answer, i wrote, because the weather was humid the sweat couldn't evaporate and carry away the heat. So when the blood vessels dilated the heat got trapped in the sweat causing the person to ever heat
:confused:
Original post by HennersPD
What would 39/50 on biology ISA be in UMS?

There's no way of knowing until August when all results come out. If you want something for a reliable(ish) guess, double it. Although, usually UMS is easier to get than just through doubling. Maybe take away 3.
Reply 1496
For the ventilator machines i put that the iron lung generator breathes for the generator but the modern one doesn't, is this right?
Does anybody know what was the other thing the tadpole needs in the water? Was it oxygen?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think the grade boundaries will be quite low as there's a lot of disagreement on here so it sounds like lots of people got lots of different things! :smile:
Original post by Jennym5
For the ventilator machines i put that the iron lung generator breathes for the generator but the modern one doesn't, is this right?

I personally doubt it will get the marks. I think you will have to talk more about the pressure changes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending