The Student Room Group

Medicine is overrated.

It's made out to be this degree where you have to be a genius to get into and to complete. I know several classmates (who all got at least 2 offers) who I would count as "pretty clever" but far, far from geniuses...in fact the cleverest people in my year are all heading off to do some sort of engineering, maths, physics, chemistry type things...If you look at these degrees at top end universities, drop out rates are a lot higher than medicine, yet the entry requirements are usually higher, so it's not like incapable people are being enrolled.

A lot of you will think "so, why do you care?", I don't really, it's a bit like how when I tell people I'm going to do maths they think all I am going to deal with is big numbers -_-...more of a pet peeve than anything serious....still.

Completely overrated...agree?
(edited 10 years ago)
Completely agree! ...that's all! 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Errrrrrm...you do know medicine is linked to phisics and chemistry, which are the same subjects your 'genius' friends are doing. It also depends what you mean by 'medicine'. Do you mean becoming a doctor or nurse? Researching medicine? Creating medicine? I think you need to develop your comment more.

Posted from TSR Mobile
"Lots of work, heavy competition"

I never thought much else of it
Reply 4
Original post by Americandream
Errrrrrm...you do know medicine is linked to phisics and chemistry, which are the same subjects your 'genius' friends are doing. It also depends what you mean by 'medicine'. Do you mean becoming a doctor or nurse? Researching medicine? Creating medicine? I think you need to develop your comment more.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Researchers and Drug Creators should get more respect and get noticed for their work. They are the real brains behind medicine industry/service, not the doctors and they typically do PhDs or MSc.
Reply 5
Original post by TheGuy117
It's made out to be this degree where you have to be a genius to get into and to complete. I know several classmates (who all got at least 2 offers) who I would count as "pretty clever" but far, far from geniuses...in fact the cleverest people in my year are all heading off to do some sort of engineering, maths, physics, chemistry type things...If you look at these degrees at top end universities, drop out rates are a lot higher than medicine, yet the entry requirements are usually higher, so it's not like incapable people are being enrolled.

A lot of you will think "so, why do you care?", I don't really, it's a bit like how when I tell people I'm going to do maths they think all I am going to deal with is big numbers -_-...more of a pet peeve than anything serious....still.

Completely overrated...agree?

Medicine is increabily complex and important, and will be important in the future. But I agree that it is overrated!
Reply 6
To answer the question, I don't think anyone's claiming Medicine is the most intellectually challenging degree out there - that would probably go to something like Physics. It's more the sheer amount of information that medical students need to learn, which is undoubtedly far higher than pretty much any other course (bar Dentistry/Vet Med, which I'm throwing in with Medicine here cause they're all similar in difficulty). Combine that with the 5-6 year length of the course, the added stress of having to deal with patients and the whole clinical aspect (which often involve long and difficult hours, on top of the amount of studying required) and it's hardly surprising it's regarded as one of, if not the hardest undergraduate degree. It's not exactly like the course content is easy either, just because is isn't as difficult as advanced Maths or Physics.
It's more than just acedemic intelligence. I know plenty of super smart people who wouldn't be suited for medicine.
The thing with medicine - according to my medic friends - isn't that it's 'challenging' as such but that there's a ******** of work. You are basically constantly studying studying studying.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Americandream

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would assume OP is talking about the 5/6 year MBBS course. in which case, yes the course is definitely oversubscribed and a bit overrated to be fair
It's a competitive course to get in to. That's why people are impressed. It's not about being clever it's about working your arse off (to get in anyway). I think that's admirable.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by bertstare
To answer the question, I don't think anyone's claiming Medicine is the most intellectually challenging degree out there - that would probably go to something like Physics. It's more the sheer amount of information that medical students need to learn, which is undoubtedly far higher than pretty much any other course (bar Dentistry/Vet Med, which I'm throwing in with Medicine here cause they're all similar in difficulty). Combine that with the 5-6 year length of the course, the added stress of having to deal with patients and the whole clinical aspect (which often involve long and difficult hours, on top of the amount of studying required) and it's hardly surprising it's regarded as one of, if not the hardest undergraduate degree. It's not exactly like the course content is easy either, just because is isn't as difficult as advanced Maths or Physics.

I completely agree! The drop out rate is less because the whole selection process means that you only get in/go for it if you are dedicated for a vocation in this area!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Doing medicine, agree with OP. However, a medical application is very hard, you need to have a range of skills.
Reply 13
Getting into Medicine does not solely show intelligence. You have to demonstrate skills such as empathy, patience, team-work etc not to mention a work-life balance to show that you do have a social life that you can escape to, so universities are sure that you can handle the stress of the job. The application process is darn right crazy because of this, as so many people are getting high grades and one of the only things that are setting prospective medics apart are extra-curriculars and work-experience. This makes medicine so competitive, but this doesn't mean that other courses aren't like this.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 14
This "overwhelming workload" that you people seem to bang on about, how do you know medicine has a greater workload than other degrees?
Original post by priya8D
Getting into Medicine does not solely show intelligence. You have to demonstrate skills such as empathy, patience, team-work etc not to mention a work-life balance to show that you do have a social life that you can escape to, so universities are sure that you can handle the stress of the job. The application process is darn right crazy because of this, as so many people are getting high grades and one of the only things that are setting prospective medics apart are extra-curriculars and work-experience. This makes medicine so competitive, but this doesn't mean that other courses aren't like this.

Or just have enough money, pay the right private school and they'll do your application for you
Reply 16
Original post by im so fresh
Or just have enough money, pay the right private school and they'll do your application for you

What? I know someone who goes to private school, and has absolutely not the right personality for Medicine. He hasn't, to my knowledge, got any offers yet. My friend, who goes to the same state academy as me, however, has got an offer at Imperial following the interview process. Writing a good, eloquent personal statement, which I'll admit private schools do help a lot with, won't necessarily show a uni that one has the ethical knowledge and empathy to become a medic.
I agree that medicine isn't the most difficult degree out there but it certainly isn't a walk in the park and I think it does deserve a lot of recognition due to its lifelong stresses and commitment. However it shouldn't receive as much recognition as it has today.

Latest

Trending

Trending