The Student Room Group

Question for RVC students / applicants (BVetMed Course)

Hi,
Just wondered how hard the BMAT exam actually is, and how much the grade you recieve in it affects your application?
Also, what does each stage of the interview process involve?
Original post by Chiara1303
Hi,
Just wondered how hard the BMAT exam actually is, and how much the grade you recieve in it affects your application?

I applied to the RVC, and got an interview with them, though withdrew my offer post interview so don't know the outcome of my interview.

Here is RVC's acadmic calendar: http://www.rvc.ac.uk/Undergraduate/BVetMed/Apply.cfm

The BMAT is hard and it is designed to differentiate the top students within a high flier population (medicals & vet applicants) so will be a challenge, especially with timing. There is a sample BMAT paper on their official website. With a bit of practise (I'd advise getting some cheap BMAT books online for around £15) it's possible to get a good grade.

People have been declined an interview on the basis of low BMAT scores, but these "thresholds" are different each year and depend on the cohort applying.

Hope that answers some of your questions :smile:
Original post by Chiara1303
Hi,

Original post by SilverstarDJ
I applied to the RVC, and got an interview with them, though withdrew my offer post interview so don't know the outcome of my interview.

Here is RVC's acadmic calendar: http://www.rvc.ac.uk/Undergraduate/BVetMed/Apply.cfm

The BMAT is hard and it is designed to differentiate the top students within a high flier population (medicals & vet applicants) so will be a challenge, especially with timing. There is a sample BMAT paper on their official website. With a bit of practise (I'd advise getting some cheap BMAT books online for around £15) it's possible to get a good grade.

People have been declined an interview on the basis of low BMAT scores, but these "thresholds" are different each year and depend on the cohort applying.

Hope that answers some of your questions :smile:

I took the BMAT last yaer, and I am currently studying at the RVC. I very much second everything SilverstarDJ said.

While the BMAT is difficult, you do not have to perform extraordinarily to receive a place at the RVC; all you have to do is decently. This is because like all other academic requirements, BMAT scores are used as a threshold to filter out the applicants. Generally, we advice prospective students that once you have met the basic requirements (3 As, 4 weeks of work experience, and a decent score on your BMAT), it all comes down to your Personal Statement and your Interviews.

In terms of the actual interview process, email the RVC admissions team, and they will be happy to provide you with the details. :wink:
Reply 3
Hey just question because I'm also interested but what books would you recommend to study for the BMAT? and what kind of topics? (I'm coming from France and i've done my GCSEs in englnd but do I need to look at stuff that is done in england after GCSE level? (confsued what KS4 is...))
Reply 4
Original post by Maudee4567
Hey just question because I'm also interested but what books would you recommend to study for the BMAT? and what kind of topics? (I'm coming from France and i've done my GCSEs in englnd but do I need to look at stuff that is done in england after GCSE level? (confsued what KS4 is...))

There are past papers on the BMAT website which are the most useful as you can practice timings, other than that I used GCSE books to go over my knowledge as I hadn't done GCSEs for about 6 years! KS4 is GCSE. That's mainly helpful for the science section though which is maths, chemistry, physics and biology. The aptitude section is hard to revise for, but I just went over all the past papers to learn the style of the questions. I also found the BMAT official guide (2010 onwards) helpful as it explained each section and had some good tips. As for the essay section, I'm not sure what's helpful for that as I already had a lot of practice at that kind of thing!
Reply 5
Original post by Eevee13
There are past papers on the BMAT website which are the most useful as you can practice timings, other than that I used GCSE books to go over my knowledge as I hadn't done GCSEs for about 6 years! KS4 is GCSE. That's mainly helpful for the science section though which is maths, chemistry, physics and biology. The aptitude section is hard to revise for, but I just went over all the past papers to learn the style of the questions. I also found the BMAT official guide (2010 onwards) helpful as it explained each section and had some good tips. As for the essay section, I'm not sure what's helpful for that as I already had a lot of practice at that kind of thing!

Ok thank you I'll look at past papers although i don't want to start too early as there's still a lot of time XD oh good, well that's reassuring then if it's just GCSE I guess (less complicated than A level stuff!). Ah well I will do that and get that guide and things then :smile: If we're good and used to writting essays in general for subject like english or history is that helpful?
Reply 6
Ok thank you I'll look at past papers although i don't want to start too early as there's still a lot of time XD oh good, well that's reassuring then if it's just GCSE I guess (less complicated than A level stuff!). Ah well I will do that and get that guide and things then :smile: If we're good and used to writting essays in general for subject like english or history is that helpful?

Yea there is plenty of time! I also used a book called 400 BMAT questions I think, which helped me get used to answering in a short amount of time, though I have seen people argue that the book doesn't really represent the BMAT very well. I think any essay writing will help, but the thing with the BMAT is being very very concise, you only get 1 side of A4 to write on, and not even the whole page. As long as you address every aspect of the question I think you will always get 50% (a score of 2.5) on the essay question.

Original post by Eevee13
Yea there is plenty of time! I also used a book called 400 BMAT questions I think, which helped me get used to answering in a short amount of time, though I have seen people argue that the book doesn't really represent the BMAT very well. I think any essay writing will help, but the thing with the BMAT is being very very concise, you only get 1 side of A4 to write on, and not even the whole page. As long as you address every aspect of the question I think you will always get 50% (a score of 2.5) on the essay question.

Yup, I also used the 400 BMAT questions.... although it isn't entirely representative of the actual exam, I thought it really helped!
I personally bought the official guide - it was useful but didn't have very many practise questions to be honest.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending