The Student Room Group

Ever had to call 999?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by peter12345
It had been going on for a number of years actually. Started out as a weak urine stream then pain when urinating, blood in urine until it just completely stopped one day. Moral of the story - go to the doctor no matter how embarrassed you are.

Good moral :smile:
Hope you're well now though! :smile:
Reply 41
A couple of times for police and ambulance but never for fire.

Aside from the emergency services themselves - I think the operators do a pretty amazing and what must be often gruelling job.
I had to call 999 when my dad died when I was 14. I wasn't sure what to do or who to ring so I just rang 999 because when I fount him he was obviously dead. I just rang up and pretended that he was alive but in a bad state because I wanted them to come as I didn't want to alone/didn't know what to do.

I remember thinking the lady was really horrible as she wanted me to do CPR but I was like it's too late he's gone so she made me go get my neighbour. She stayed on the phone until the paramedics came so it wasn't all bad. For some reason i've always wanted to hear back that call- i'm not sure why but i'd like to.

Yeah, I hope nobody has to go through that :smile:
Reply 43
Original post by BlahBlaBlahBla
Good moral :smile:
Hope you're well now though! :smile:

Reply 44
I had to call the ambulance when I was 4 years old, when my Mum was in a Diabetes induced semi-coma. The front door was locked but I was too short to reach for the keys, so the operator told me to move a chair, but I wouldn't do it because my Mum had told me not to move them because they scratch the floor. To the operator like a minute to convince me to do it :P

The paramedics were amazing. The only thing I remember is them sitting down with me and playing with my toys with me while my mum was waking up.

Got my face in the paper for doing it as well... 4 year old saves mum'. Was a bit of an exaggeration I suppose but I enjoyed the brief spotlight all the same :P
Reply 45
Twice I think. First time was when my husband put his hand through a glass panel in a door at home. Second time was when my oldest son smashed his elbow at school.
Original post by Annuhlees
I had to call 999 when my dad died when I was 14. I wasn't sure what to do or who to ring so I just rang 999 because when I fount him he was obviously dead. I just rang up and pretended that he was alive but in a bad state because I wanted them to come as I didn't want to alone/didn't know what to do.

I remember thinking the lady was really horrible as she wanted me to do CPR but I was like it's too late he's gone so she made me go get my neighbour. She stayed on the phone until the paramedics came so it wasn't all bad. For some reason i've always wanted to hear back that call- i'm not sure why but i'd like to.

Yeah, I hope nobody has to go through that :smile:

I'm sorry for your loss. That was a crazily brave thing for a girl of 14 to do! :smile: You should be proud!
Yeah the wanting to hear the call back has reminded me of that tv program called 999: what's your emergency? Cause they do that and it seems to be a very emotional experience for a lot of people!
Yes, was redirected to the NHS direct helpline 111...
Reply 48
I had to call 999 once when I a friend of mine who was having emotional problems told me he was going to kill himself. It may sound a little drastic, but he had never said that before, only that he was really sad and confused. It was scary, I called 999 and I wasn't in the area he was, so I had to ask to be connected elsewhere. They were really reassuring, telling me I had done the right thing. I didn't hear anything for an hour, until I eventually got a call from the guy...he was really angry and I told him not to be upset because I care. Luckily we're on speaking terms again now and he's in a much better place :smile:
Original post by dathtom
I had to call the ambulance when I was 4 years old, when my Mum was in a Diabetes induced semi-coma. The front door was locked but I was too short to reach for the keys, so the operator told me to move a chair, but I wouldn't do it because my Mum had told me not to move them because they scratch the floor. To the operator like a minute to convince me to do it :P

The paramedics were amazing. The only thing I remember is them sitting down with me and playing with my toys with me while my mum was waking up.

Got my face in the paper for doing it as well... 4 year old saves mum'. Was a bit of an exaggeration I suppose but I enjoyed the brief spotlight all the same :P

This has warmed my heart :') how adorable are you? :biggrin:
Original post by Alice_95
I had to call 999 once when I a friend of mine who was having emotional problems told me he was going to kill himself. It may sound a little drastic, but he had never said that before, only that he was really sad and confused. It was scary, I called 999 and I wasn't in the area he was, so I had to ask to be connected elsewhere. They were really reassuring, telling me I had done the right thing. I didn't hear anything for an hour, until I eventually got a call from the guy...he was really angry and I told him not to be upset because I care. Luckily we're on speaking terms again now and he's in a much better place :smile:

This seems to be the case in a lot of these incidences doesn't it? :/
But you definitely did the right thing no matter how scared you were at the time! :smile:
Original post by Entrepreneur123
Or 911 etc whatever applies to you

I was in the shower earlier having a think about life as you do, and it dawned on me that I've never had to call 999. I was just wondering if anyone else had to, and of so what for?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, I called an ambulance for a tramp who had fallen out of his wheelchair and was having a fit.
Reply 52
Original post by BlahBlaBlahBla
This has warmed my heart :') how adorable are you? :biggrin:

I was very cute at the time. All the girls in reception loved me :P
Yeah had to call it 3 times
I live in a peaceful quite neighbourhood, the last place you'd expects a robbery to occur

One was at 1am around christmas time and these men followed my dad home, mugged him and tried to break into the house but were too much of wimps to do so

The second time it happened again and I heard a car push breaks hard where it makes that skidding noise, a bunch of doors close, a bunch of men yelling, my dad yelling for my mum to call the police, then doors slam shut then that skidding noise again

I went to the window and saw no one, just my dads car open and I thought they had taken him hostage or something, so I called the police (mum already did but I felt so sick I thought he was dead since he was nowhere and it was so quiet outside)

Third time was during the day, my mum went to pick me and my brother up after school and we got ho me and the whole house was tipped over, money, jewelry, PS3 (we had just gotten at the time since it was a couple weeks since it was out), cameras which had all the photos from the holiday we had JUST had!!! sucks!!! photos are priceless!!!!

Yeah so had to call the police 3 times
Original post by xStaceyy
Yeah once for a serious reason, won't go into it here.
They were very helpful and arrived in minutes, the girl stayed on the phone with me until they arrived.

One time though apparently when I was around 3 years old I called the police once because I thought someone had stolen my stone from my garden that I'd painted a face on.
I ran in the house, called 999 and cried down the phone 'Someone has stole Mrs Stone!!'
My dad had to grab the phone and apologize haha.

Such a cool kid :P

Haha that's a funny story! :biggrin:
Got mugged, then the evening I got home the house got burgled whilst I was in my room. Never been mugged before and the house had never been burgled before (parents been living there for 35 years). Scaryy **** :P
Original post by dathtom
I was very cute at the time. All the girls in reception loved me :P

Awhhh :') the little hero :tongue: too cute!
Reply 57

I was in the shower earlier having a think about life as you do, and it dawned on me that I've never had to call 999. I was just wondering if anyone else had to, and of so what for?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, once my house got burgled, police came after 35 mins, to be honest it was useless calling 999, in the end the police did nothing.
Yes, ambulance twice, once when I found one of my boyfriend's family after they'd tried to kill themselves. There were tablet packets and vodka bottles everywhere. The ambulance woman stayed on the phone till the ambulance got there telling me how to keep her alive.

Another time for myself when I thought I'd broken my back or something. I couldn't move from my chair an inch and my arms couldn't bear my weight anymore so it was a last resort. I was screaming like a bitch. Ambulance came, stuck me on a stretcher in my froggy jamas, gave me gas and air and drove me to hospital whilst I sang Twinkle Twinkle Little Star to my boyfriend. My mother later suggested that he should be the one to stick the tablets up my butt. :/

Neither are situations I'd like to experience again.
Reply 59

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have had to call the US equivalent when I was in a car wreck....not gonna lie....I felt pretty cool

Quick Reply

Latest