The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE English Literature Exams - 20th and 23rd May 2013 *OFFICAL THREAD*

Scroll to see replies

Original post by emah123
where is your essay?

I'll message u it :smile:
Reply 281
Anyone want to share quotes for OMAM and Inspector calls? Think it would help us a lot to get practicing at this point, without having to do long essays....
Reply 282
Original post by denchmanfrimmy
denchtastic advice from frimmy

leave it yeah
Reply 283
Original post by lilacwanda28
poetry is pretty much what you make of it. Just as long as you back up your own interpretation of the poem with plenty of quotes with word-level analysis you should be fine. Poetry is all down to your own interpretation - make it up if worst comes to worst :redface: good luck

Oh I know, I have no problem with Poetry, I know how to write Band 6 answers, it's just that I absolutely hate the poems they chose for the anthology.
But Purple Hibiscus on Monday... It's really driving me mad.
Hi,

I'm a teacher of English, at GCSE and A Level. The English department, at my school, have been with the AQA Exam Board, since 2011, and, as I have seen, nearly, all of the past papers for the Unit 1 Exam, I have a strong feeling of the questions that may come up.

Short Stories Anthology:

I believe that one of the questions will ask you about how a character is developed throughout one of the short stories - my feeling being drawn towards Sandra from The Darkness Out There. For the second part of the question, I believe that you will have to choose another short story in which you believe a character is developed and analytically evaluate the text, so that you are able to justify why you have this interpretation.

At my school, we don't study any of the other books, in Section A, so I am unable to predict a question for those texts. Apologies.

Of Mice and Men:

Many candidates on this thread are predicting that Curley or Slim may appear in the question, but I don't think that this will be the case. I have a feeling that AQA may ask you to analyse another character, that they have asked before, or, possibly, ask you to look at a passage and analyse the difference between two characters.

Setting is also another possibility. You may be asked to reference the Barn or you may have to analyse how Steinbeck uses language to introduce themes, on the opening page, for example.

Also, as a teacher and examiner, I know how to apply the mark scheme, so I would be more than happy to check your answers to previous questions, if that would be beneficial to you. If you would like me to mark one of your responses and provide you with detailed feedback, then message me!

Good luck with the exam,
Mr Derby.
Original post by indigorain
I'm nervous about this exam - really, really want an A* and have been getting them in mocks, but you can never really tell with English.

I'd love it to be Hale but it probably won't be as yes, he did come up. I have a feeling it's going to be Danforth as well... He's ok to write about. I guess I'd talk about his motives (wanting to be a 'Boston Judge'), coldness of manner. Actually, having said that, I think I need to revise the judges :wink:

It might be Mary Warren too. Fairly easy character? Definitely clear points to be made as she appears at different places in the play and sort of changes by going up then down - scared of Abby/Proctor at the start, then she gets authority and goes against Abigail, then she's brought down again - Abby's too strong for her.

Edit: did Mary come up in Jan 2013?

If Proctor or Hale come up I will be so happy.

Is anyone doing to Kill a Mockingbird? What do you think the passage might be? (hard to tell I know)

Good luck everyone!

Yep I'm doing mockingbird too, I was looking through past papers and there's been several questions on the caste system so probably not something along those lines

Maybe something to do with courage or prejudice? Honestly I've got no idea though
Does anyone know what it means when it says you need to evaluate language structure or in the mark scheme because I don't get it and I'm predicted at an A/A* can someone plz help
Thanks.
Reply 287
Original post by EvilLemons
Does anyone know what it means when it says you need to evaluate language structure or in the mark scheme because I don't get it and I'm predicted at an A/A* can someone plz help
Thanks.

i was told that evaluate doesn't mean say good/bad points about something,,,, but it means different viewpoints... in this context

with language... it could mean different effects on the reader or different images produced..or different tones/moods etc

i think thats it

ryan
I'm doing LOTF, OMAM and the Relationships cluster. Am I the only one who is both really excited and terrified for the exam?

Excited because.... well, it's English :colone: and terrified because I have tremendous difficulty with timing, so often never finish and conclude :emo:
Original post by laylarose
I'm doing LOTF, OMAM and the Relationships cluster. Am I the only one who is both really excited and terrified for the exam?

Excited because.... well, it's English :colone: and terrified because I have tremendous difficulty with timing, so often never finish and conclude :emo:

How are you revising for OMAM, what do you think will come up. I did the conflict cluster, in January. Found it quite interesting, especially the context.
Original post by laylarose

Well, I'm excited for different reasons (I want to get English literature over and done with! :P ). But I'm also anxious about it since I want to write enough to achieve a high grade without running out of time :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
OMAM, AIC and Character and Voice cluster, haven't even started revising lmao
Reply 292
Hi there teacherforall, and thanks for the information above. I have been reviewing past papers too, but I am unable to access the January 2013 one - do you have access to that at all, or do you know anywhere online where it appears? It is the OMAM and an Inspector Calls that I am interested in. Thank you again, best wishes.
Reply 293
Original post by Galileo Galilei
OMAM, AIC and Character and Voice cluster, haven't even started revising lmao

looooooool im doing the exactly the same as you! Started revising 2 days ago!
Reply 294
Original post by EvilLemons
Thanks.

This is very crucial! Language is all the linguistic techniques used.
Structure is techniques like juxtaposition.
Original post by ndean1sc
Hi there teacherforall, and thanks for the information above. I have been reviewing past papers too, but I am unable to access the January 2013 one - do you have access to that at all, or do you know anywhere online where it appears? It is the OMAM and an Inspector Calls that I am interested in. Thank you again, best wishes.

The January 2013 papers are confidential, and I can't publish them on here because it would defeat the purpose of my school having English mock exams - most of my students will see the exam paper, before we do the internal mock assessments, so unfortunately, I will not post the papers on here.

If you need any help with papers,that are available on AQA's website, then message me.

I am sorry, if I haven't been any help
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 296
Hey, for anyone doing Mr Pip, I have just put up a revision 'guide' including a summary, themes, characters and a sample paragraph, as well as tips for achieving A* :smile:

I will be doing the same for the Crucible and for Conflict Poetry.
Original post by Farhan96
leave it yeah

you dont wanna get frimponged
Reply 298
Original post by teacherforall
Hi,

I'm a teacher of English, at GCSE and A Level. The English department, at my school, have been with the AQA Exam Board, since 2011, and, as I have seen, nearly, all of the past papers for the Unit 1 Exam, I have a strong feeling of the questions that may come up.

Short Stories Anthology:

I believe that one of the questions will ask you about how a character is developed throughout one of the short stories - my feeling being drawn towards Sandra from The Darkness Out There. For the second part of the question, I believe that you will have to choose another short story in which you believe a character is developed and analytically evaluate the text, so that you are able to justify why you have this interpretation.

At my school, we don't study any of the other books, in Section A, so I am unable to predict a question for those texts. Apologies.

Of Mice and Men:

Many candidates on this thread are predicting that Curley or Slim may appear in the question, but I don't think that this will be the case. I have a feeling that AQA may ask you to analyse another character, that they have asked before, or, possibly, ask you to look at a passage and analyse the difference between two characters.

Setting is also another possibility. You may be asked to reference the Barn or you may have to analyse how Steinbeck uses language to introduce themes, on the opening page, for example.

Also, as a teacher and examiner, I know how to apply the mark scheme, so I would be more than happy to check your answers to previous questions, if that would be beneficial to you. If you would like me to mark one of your responses and provide you with detailed feedback, then message me!

Good luck with the exam,
Mr Derby.

Could you post two full questions from what you think may come up in OMAM please. It would be very useful given your experience.
Reply 299
Original post by teacherforall
Hi,

Short Stories Anthology:

Of Mice and Men:

Good luck with the exam,
Mr Derby.

Hi teacherforall, are there any handy tips you could provide us with for Inspector calls because any help would be extremely valuable!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending