The Student Room Group

Health checks on application to midwifery course.

I will begin applying to university in September for 2014 entry.
I am hoping to study midwifery and I am aware that you must have a health check as part of the application process.
What sort of tests and things will they be looking at in this test?
Also, does your weight matter in these tests?
I am currently underweight and I am NOT anorexic or whatever people generally assume. I hate the weight that I am and I'm trying my hardest to put weight on.
I have been to my doctors and had various blood tests and checks to rule out illness. My doctor can find absolutely nothing wrong with me apart from the fact I'm underweight. I am healthy otherwise.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
I have also seen a dietitian or about a year now in an attempt to put weight on. However she has discharged me now because, although I haven't aimed any weight, she says there is nothing more she can advise me to do. I am already doing everything..
I try so hard and there just isn't a change in my weight..
However deposited being underweight it does not affect my day to day functioning at all. I have no symptoms of being underweight at all apart from ring slim.
I only found out I was when I went to my doctor and she decried to work out my bmi as I'm very slim. I was shocked when she told me cause I had no idea..
I just really don't want this to stop me getting a place at university on the course I want to do :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd be interested to know too. I am doing a medical course starting this year that requires presumably the same health checks, but I can't even donate blood or anything similar because I weigh under 50kg.
Reply 3
Original post by anettjonsson
I'd be interested to know too. I am doing a medical course starting this year that requires presumably the same health checks, but I can't even donate blood or anything similar because I weigh under 50kg.

Yes I have the same problem!
Hopefully someone can tell us more about the checks..
I'm hoping that if I can prove my weight doesn't cause any problems then I should be okay..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
My situation is a little different as I do have an eating disorder, however I presume the physical health guidelines remain similar at least.

I have been told that I need to be at least BMI 17 to start the course and presumably that will be monitored. I also need to have no electrolyte imbalances or other issues with my blood or heart, and not likely to faint.

You will go for an assessment with an occupational therapist who will assess if you are fit enough, but my understanding is is that they are there to facilitate you in going to uni, not to find an excuse to get rid of you!

Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 5
Ah okay I see...
Thank you very much for your reply :smile: This has made me feel a little less rubbish about it all!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Reply 7
Hi, I have read threads in the past about overweight people applying, and they were told that their weight was irrelevant so long as they were healthy. I would think the same would apply to you - your overall health will be looked at rather than just focusing on your BMI.

Good luck with your application x
Reply 8
Original post by Miss Duke
Hi, I have read threads in the past about overweight people applying, and they were told that their weight was irrelevant so long as they were healthy. I would think the same would apply to you - your overall health will be looked at rather than just focusing on your BMI.

Good luck with your application x

Okay thank you, that's good news!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Gnome :)

Wow thank you for this link! It's very helpful :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey herrington,
Im also applying this september for midwifery and im also underweight but im really energetic and dont get tired easily. That wouldn't be a problem right?
I'm hoping to apply to King's college london, UCL and southbank.....what about u?
Original post by gettingcreamy
Hey herrington,
Im also applying this september for midwifery and im also underweight but im really energetic and dont get tired easily. That wouldn't be a problem right?
I'm hoping to apply to King's college london, UCL and southbank.....what about u?

Hello,
I am unsure to be honest. I think it might vary between universities so, I think you are best contacting the universities and explaining your position and asking whether it would cause problems. That is what I am currently doing because I want to know for sure what will happen..
Take a look at the previous posts in this thread, someone posted a useful link explaining about what the health checks involve.
I am going to apply at Birmingham City university and Coventry university. I'm going to look into some more soon..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending