The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE English Literature Exams - 20th and 23rd May 2013 *OFFICAL THREAD*

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NinjaPandaa
Mary warren and the ending of each act building tension or something

So Mary appeared for both foundation and higher?

If so, then the only foundation character question that has yet to appear for higher is Danforth! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BP_Tranquility
So Mary appeared for both foundation and higher?

If so, then the only foundation character question that has yet to appear for higher is Danforth! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

oh god sorry didnt read your question properly those were both on higher sorry
Are you allowed to fold pages in your books for the exam, or would you get disqualified?
Original post by ryanroks1
Are you allowed to fold pages in your books for the exam, or would you get disqualified?

are you not given a clean copy in the exam at your school?
Original post by Alleykat606
I'm just remembering key sections of the books for various characters e.g. Lennie in Crook's 'shack'...when George tells Lennie the dream and also for An Inspector Calls. I made mind maps previously on specific themes and characters for both books but to be honest I haven't done much revision the last couple of days :tongue: just do anything you can to know the books as well as you can e.g. re-read them (if you have the time!), watch video summaries, watch the film, read other people's essays and presentations (you can easily look for these online)

Ooo, yeah good advice i'll re-read OMAM tonight.
Good luck for Monday! :smile:
Reply 805
are you not given a clean copy in the exam at your school?

You're allowed to bring in your books to the exam?! What?

Posted from The Student's Room iPhone/iPad App
Original post by N Kay

I'm not allowed, but seemingly this guys school does allow it?
Reply 807
I'm not allowed, but seemingly this guys school does allow it?

Oh ok. Same, I'm not allowed either.
Good luck :smile:

Original post by N Kay
Oh ok. Same, I'm not allowed either.
Good luck :smile:

Good luck too! what books are you doing?
Reply 809
Original post by N Kay

Yeah, you have to! Oh dear haha. :sigh:
Reply 810
Good luck too! what books are you doing?

Of Mice and Men and An Inspector Calls :frown:
You?

Original post by TAPTUT
it was good and i would give it most marks but u need to show your engagement with the text for example,-this line speaks out me showing... this resonates with me... Also i think u need to talk abit more about steinbecks intentions.Otherwise that is great :smile:

its alright, but their are lots of improvments. maybe a C
Original post by andersson
In note form, my answers went like this:

a) "tall" - Other ranch hands look up to him literally and figuratively.

"long" and "black" hair - Same appearance as depictions of Jesus, makes Slim more important because he's compared to someone who is key to a lot of people's lives.

"combs" hair - Action only done by someone who has people look at them a lot. Tells us he is important because he is someone who must be looked at for reassurance and help.

"royalty" - Saying he is someone who has a closer link to God than the average person.

can drive "ten, sixteen, twenty mules" - The longer an observer looks or thinks about him the more positively they think of him. His importance can be seen doubling here in a short duration of time.

"gravity" - Comparison with fundamental force of nature or a star, essential for life.

"understanding beyond thought" - Comparison with an omniscient (all knowing) God.

b) Slim is giver of life or death: lets Carlson kill Curley's dog, kills 4 of dog's puppies so the others have better chance of life, tells George killing Lennie was the right thing to do. Steinbeck saying that there was hope, there were ideal men around in 1930s who weren't clouded emotionally and could be rational. OR Steinbeck saying there is no hope, even the ideal men are violent.

Slim is helper in the story: helps Curley up after fight with Lennie, helps George up after killing Lennie. Helped both villain (Curley) and hero (George), implies Steinbeck was telling us people weren't just one-sided in the 1930s, people were neutral too.

................................................................................................

You could have written about anything in part 'a' and, as long as you used PEE analysis, gotten a mark for it. In part 'b' there are so many things you can write about, as long as what you said sounds intelligent and answers the question you should be getting marks.

Good luck to you too, hope this helped!

Yes, this helped alot! Thank You for such a detailed response.
I had some of those points too but with slightly different interpretations :smile:
Original post by N Kay
Of Mice and Men and An Inspector Calls :frown:
You?

To Kill a Mockingbird and The Crucible cry
Hey everyone who wants the UNIT 2 -Poetry Across Time January 2013 Higher paper , which hasn't been released yet, I sstumbled acroos it online 0 http://cherwellenglish.typepad.com/files/aqa-47102h-qp-jan13-1.pdf Hope I helped :biggrin: :biggrin: quite proud of myself for managing to find this tbh
Reply 815
Original post by Natasha792
Yes, this helped alot! Thank You for such a detailed response.
I had some of those points too but with slightly different interpretations :smile:

You're welcome, I hope they ask the questions you want!
Reply 816
Original post by goldfish21
Hey everyone who wants the UNIT 2 -Poetry Across Time January 2013 Higher paper , which hasn't been released yet, I sstumbled acroos it online 0 http://cherwellenglish.typepad.com/files/aqa-47102h-qp-jan13-1.pdf Hope I helped :biggrin: :biggrin: quite proud of myself for managing to find this tbh

ah yeah... i remember that

i think someone asked my for the foundation papers...but ididnt hhave them and i responded by saying it was on a blog.... nice!!!

this is the place that has a few exampler answers also..it had the 30/30 one i uploaded a while back
:biggrin:

ryan
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 817
Original post by ryanb97
ah yeah... i remember that

i think someone asked my for the foundation papers...but ididnt hhave them and i responded by saying it was on a blog.... nice!!!

this is the place that has a few exampler answers also..it had the 30/30 one i uploaded a while back
:biggrin:

ryan

It was me -.-
Original post by jessamelia
Omgg, so do I, I thought it was just me

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good luck :frown:
Let me know how it goes!
How could you like Slim and Curley to context in Of Mice and Men?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending