The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE English Literature Exams - 20th and 23rd May 2013 *OFFICAL THREAD*

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JustaDreamer
Thank you! Don't worry I won't :smile: I've just noticed your question about evaluating- I think this is when you make a 'theory' on what the reader might usually think about something, and then in your analysis you say whether the language/point made agrees or contradicts with what the reader might usually think. Hope it helps, I'm not sure if it's the real definition :redface:

Thank you :biggrin:
Is anyone doing the crucible? I need help! URGENTLY PLEASE!
We should seriously make this thread into a study guide!
My predictions;
of mice and men - Slim
An Inspector calls - Eric

:/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by radhikagulati
hopefully it is the Putnams :crossedf:

and i dont think it will be Danforth, he was done a couple of years ago i think, unless they decide to do it again

i think it may be a question on a theme, maybe justice?
I havent seen any danforth questions on any pastpapers?
Reply 864
Original post by Olympiad
My predictions;
of mice and men - Slim

Some people have said OMAM will be the Natural World, but to be honest, I'd have no idea what to write.
Also anyone doing to kill a mockingbird, if the question was on the theme of growing up how could you link that to context?
poetry.jpg

Poetry notes... not even finished yet :sigh:
Reply 867
Original post by Olympiad
My predictions;
of mice and men - Slim

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can you make a question for them?
Reply 868
Original post by cycahm

I did earlier:

a) Read pages 55 to 56 from "A tall man stood in the doorway." on page 55 to "You the new guys?" on page 56. How does Steinbeck present Slim as someone of importance in the passage?

b) In the rest of the novel, what is the importance of Slim to the story?

30 marks.
Original post by cycahm

"Slim is the least loneliest character on the ranch. How far do you agree with this statement?"
Not sure about Erix

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 870
Original post by NinjaPandaa
Also anyone doing to kill a mockingbird, if the question was on the theme of growing up how could you link that to context?

I swear the only theme you can link to context is racism!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by alibland
I swear the only theme you can link to context is racism!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

same! or the class system and the economic depression, I suppose the question would have to relate to growing up by all children and then that could be linked to the aftermath of the wall street crash and maybe even racial intolerences towards atticus forcing jem and scout to grow up more quickly
Reply 872
Hey guys
im studying purple hibiscus and an inspector calls
. I am really struggling on both. How do you structure your response?
Original post by JustaDreamer
I'd be very grateful if someone answered this! :frown:

I guess you could, as long as your point links the actual question with the novella. Try not to go off topic though! Good Luck for tomorrow- scared :/
How long do you spend on each text during the exam?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 875
How long would your response be for section A and section B part a) and b)
Reply 876
Y
Original post by Hassyk
Hey guysim studying purple hibiscus and an inspector calls. I am really struggling on both. How do you structure your response?
Hi,

I would be very grateful if anyone could tell me some ideas about OMAM natural setting - I really have no idea as we haven't studied this in class at all!

Thank you, please!!!!
Reply 878
Ironically I did a small paragraph on Slim yesterday, can I get some feedback on it please

When we are first introduced to slim there are a number of words which infer Slims supremacy, nobility and power. Words like "majesty - royalty - master - prince" are used in conjunction with his introduction, this infers to the reader already that Slim is a character that is greatly looked up to and respected. The author uses Slim to create a father figure on the ranch, this is because ranch hands sprang from ranch to ranch as a result leading lonely lives, therefore Slim almost creates comfort for the ranch hands as they feel like they can talk to him. The author does this to emphasise the effects of the Great Depression as men attempted to work towards the American Dream they were forced to lead lonely lives with no family and no friends, only the men they met on ranches, furthermore Slim is used to fill the void in the lives of the ranch hands as he is a strong figure who is highly valued, just like a father. Moreover from the use of those four words in the description of Slim the reader can infer that Slim is not like other ranch hands as we the reader later find out in the play. Additionally, at the time of the Great Depression size and strength were very important. "A tall man stood in the doorway" .........

- btw I added the ellipses at the end because I did not know how to explain the quote, any ideas?
Reply 879
Original post by NorwichCityFC
Hi,

I would be very grateful if anyone could tell me some ideas about OMAM natural setting - I really have no idea as we haven't studied this in class at all!

Thank you, please!!!!

I agree! Please help us. :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending