The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE English Literature Exams - 20th and 23rd May 2013 *OFFICAL THREAD*

Scroll to see replies

I think an interesting point to explore for Birling (and I definitely plan to explore it myself) is the fact not only does he represent capitalism... he represents the flaws present in it. He is challenged by the Inspector, his exact rival (arch-nemesis?) in that he stands up for everything and everyone Birling is against. The fact that Birling would be seen as a negative character, maybe not quite an antagonist, reflects Priestley's views on how bad capitalism and the idea of just looking after yourself is.

I hope that might come in handy, just an idea.
Im doing OMAM and AIC and the relationships cluster from the moon on tides anthology. I need help!! i dont know how much im expected to write tomorrow!! Does anyone know?? My class at school havent done any unit 1 practise questions :confused:
Reply 1262
I hope Eric is in one of the questions!
Reply 1263
For section B Of Mice and Men does part (a) and part (b) have to be separated in your answer? I have 2 teachers and one told it didn't while the other told me it did...?
Reply 1264
Okay I think I have it all sorted; I'm gonna go back and revise crooks and slim for OMAM and then I'm gonna revise eric and slim for AIC. :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BP_Tranquility
For Of Mice and Men, could they ask a question regarding the American Dream or would it have to be a combination of nature/ American Dream? :smile:

... i think it will be a combo

I think its time to go and do a mock of the questions i think may come up hehe...

ryan
Original post by yazzieee
Okay I think I have it all sorted; I'm gonna go back and revise crooks and slim for OMAM and then I'm gonna revise eric and slim for AIC. :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

No point doing crooks since he was in the Januray paper
Reply 1267
Sorry I meant mr birling not slim xD

Posted from TSR Mobile
How's everyone feeling?
Guys what devices does Priestley use in AIC to display his message- ive got irony and injustice
What does Harper Lee use in TKAM - ive got 1st person naivety, injustice

anymore?
Reply 1270
In the women in black, which chapter is on the nursery? (mistery sounds in the room)
Original post by cjslions
Is it possible for Eva smith to come up and of so what the hell would you write for her :O she's not even in the play haha...

Yes, it is completely possible for her to come up. We did a timed essay at school the other day, the question was:

'In many ways it is the absent Eva Smith who is the central character of An Inspector Calls'
How far do you agree with this statement and how does J.B. Priestley use this character to convey his ideas in the play?

Structurally, you can write about the Inspector's entrance (which interrupts Birling's speech) as his entrance is technically her's too.

You can also write about character's reactions to her (e.g. Gerald presents her virtue), Her name (Eva is derived from Eve, the first woman and therefore every woman and Smith is a common name and the audience is likely to know a Smith so can make a connection. She also has three different names during the play which I think shows that she is not that important,she is merely a prompt of conversation.
Original post by JustaDreamer
How's everyone feeling?

confident ... but anxious due to time restriction is the exam... which is sort if inevitable though lol
Reply 1273
Original post by jack97
In the women in black, which chapter is on the nursery? (mistery sounds in the room)

'In the Nursery', surprisingly.
Original post by ryanb97
... i think it will be a combo

I think its time to go and do a mock of the questions i think may come up hehe...

ryan

I don't suppose you could create a question that would incorporate the two since I probably would make it too easy for myself? :tongue:
Original post by jascat
For section B Of Mice and Men does part (a) and part (b) have to be separated in your answer? I have 2 teachers and one told it didn't while the other told me it did...?

I separate it as they are not written as one question. Always be safe and split it so the examiner can clearly see where one stops and the other ends.
Original post by ryanb97
confident ... but anxious due to time restriction is the exam... which is sort if inevitable though lol

I'm feeling okay...kinda neutral. Yeah I'm worried about time too, if it was a two hour exam that would be great! What grade are you aiming for?
Original post by tatwriter
I don't think they'll ask you a question just on Whit or Carlson but they might ask you to focus on one of them in comparison to another character?

I've heard that there might be a mention of Whit in one of the questions so I'm hoping if there is it's the first question (the bit about the language in the text)

I think it all depends how nice AQA are being this year and, judging by my French listening last week, they are in the mood to be rather nasty this year.

haha true i did french listening too last week and it was really hard :frown:
Original post by ineedhelp4
haha true i did french listening too last week and it was really hard :frown:

Same here :redface:
Reply 1279
Ryan you have been a real good help today mate:smile:
could you post a couple of questions you think could come up please?
one on an inspector calls and the other on purple hibiscus? Thanks mate

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending