The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE English Literature Exams - 20th and 23rd May 2013 *OFFICAL THREAD*

Scroll to see replies

Uh, everyone is saying that for An Inspector Calls they think Mr Birling will come up. Wasn't he a question in 2012?

Also, do we get those answer booklets where the lines are like 2cm tall? If we do, how much are we given?
Reply 1281
Original post by tatwriter
Uh, everyone is saying that for An Inspector Calls they think Mr Birling will come up. Wasn't he a question in 2012?

Also, do we get those answer booklets where the lines are like 2cm tall? If we do, how much are we given?

I reckon it's gonna be Eric
Reply 1282
For those doing An Inspector Calls could you give me some points about Mrs Birling please?:smile:

P.S Hope you all do great if you have the exam tomorrow, good luck!!
Original post by Hassyk
I reckon it's gonna be Eric

What sort of question about him?

Posted from TSR Mobile
hi i did paragraph on slim (not really sure what the question is tbh) could you please read it and give me feedback and help me with the alternative interpretation because i really can’t find it in this quote and the evaluation (whether i agree with Steinbeck or not) bit.. sorry for any mistakes (btw in my opinion i think it’s really bad hey whatever) many thanks :smile:
In the quotation “he moved with majesty only achieved by royalty and master craftsmen…he was a jerkline skinner, the prince of the ranch” we see Slim as a character Steinbeck’s quite proud of as he’s the only character whom is introduced to the scene with such admiration. The keyword in this quotation is ‘royalty’ this is because we can see how much he is respected as only respected people are associated with this word. The word ‘royalty ‘makes us think of someone highest part of the hierarchy. From this moment we know that slim is going to one the only characters who is repect6ed out of choice not fear or pressure, like the boss. We can also see that the rest of the ranch hands appreciate slim from the quote “he’s a hell of a nice fella”. This is said by candy, who we all know from reading the book, is the gossip and rumour spreader on the ranch. From this we see that there isn’t any pretence or rumours about his. This surprises us as we start to realise that slim is genuinely a hard working ‘fella’ who has earned all his respect. We automatically feel obliged that there is one person who doesn’t just think about themselves on the ranch but who thinks about others. Steinbeck’s uses slim to convey that educational wasn’t the key to being happy but it was your drive and determination to work hard that gained you respect, which therefore gained you happiness. I believe society is trying to teach us that the ones who try and focus on reality are the ones who go further in life.
Reply 1285
Original post by lolaaa96
For those doing An Inspector Calls could you give me some points about Mrs Birling please?:smile:

P.S Hope you all do great if you have the exam tomorrow, good luck!!

Check out bitesize
its a great help
good luck to you aswell
Original post by tatwriter

Nah, we have to write on our desks and then hand it in at the end of the exam.

Spoiler

Original post by JustaDreamer
Same here :redface:

lets just hope the boundaries go down :smile:
Reply 1288
Original post by Olympiad
What sort of question about him?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Possibly how priestly presents him? Or something like that
PLEASE COULD SOMEONE MARK THIS WOULD BEGRATEFUL EXAM IS TOMORROW :/ IT IS NOT MY BEST, AIMING FOR AN A/A*
(excuse any mistakes in spellings)

How does Priestley present therelationship between Eric and Arthur Birling?

J.B Priestley wrote An Inspector callsin 1945 but set in 1912 as a critisim and warning of the actions ofthe ruling classes. The play depicts the average upper class family,represented by the Birlings, to be full of conflicts and erodingrelationships, leading as to why the Inspector is described as acatalyst. This essay will focus on the relationship between Birlingand Eric in paticular.
The stage directions give us a goodindication of the relationship between Eric and Arthur birling ericspeaks to his father “not to rudely” It seems as though Priestleyis implying to the audience the “awkward” feeling between thetwo, maybe because Eric cannot fully stand up to his father since heis under his power and athur can take away his job whenever to keep“labour costs low” implying what eric may mean to his father .However, some may interpret this to mean that Erics “awkward”personality means he has no care or empathy towards the others inthe family, a repercussion of the relation with eva or because hisfather hasn’t taught him to. The overall effect of this creates thesense on tension in audiences because we can see the dying of therelationship between the two and that this will lead to massconflicts later in the play.

Furthermore, this gap in therelationship becomes more apparent in Act 3 after the Inspectorsarrival when Eric remarks his father is not someone he could go towhen he is in “trouble” this creates empathy in the audience foreric because it depicts that he has had no support or influence frombirling in his life. This could lead to the reasons why he misusedEva and stole money out of bitterness or to gain attention. On theother hand there is no clear suggestion that this is Birlings faultit could be Erics emphasized that his effect on Eva was one of theworst, lusting after her, which hints that although we see a betterperson now Eric may have been quite obnoxious not allowing Birling tointervene. Perhaps the former is true because in Birlings 'famous'speeches he talks of how one day both companies will be “workingtogether” suggesting his whole life revolves around the successesof his business, cutting out time for importance like therelationship with his son.

Finally, the differences in agegenerations introducing the gap between the Victorian views;representing traditional ,stricter times ; and Edwardian views, whichwould apply to both Sheila and Eric ; which contained the feeling ofmodernisation for example the suffrage movement allowing equality towomen. This applies to Birling and Eric because it creates a barrierin their relationship in the fact there is no mutual understandingbetween them both. Birling is single minded and refuse to learn ofhis actions quickly turning the situation around on to Sheila andEric to make them look foolish when the Inspector leaves “laughing”at them. Priestley could be suggesting that Birling is trying to takethe situation and re-stablish a friendship, however it is taken inthe opposite direction destroying it further, since Eric, the youngergeneration, has learnt from the Inspector his effect on Eva and isunlikely to repeat it, taking the situation seriously.

Overall, we are guided towards empathyof Eric and believe he is the opposite of his father who cannotlearn. However, the audience is left with the question if Eric couldturn out to be the parallel of his father since after learning hislesson both world war one and two took place soon after suggesting itwas forgotten at some stage and the ruling classes returned to theirselfish ways. The audience is left with the hope that the lessonswere not superficial but oppressed by the older generation,suggesting that the relationship of Birling and Eric only was toworsen after the end.
Does anybody have an exemplar essay or Birling and/or Eric?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1291
Original post by DanielleB97
Thanks for answering. My teacher was been almost zero help on OMAM, and we haven't even been given the book to reread. She expects us to remember it from last summer:frown:

If it's the basic storyline you need then this is quite useful. Summarises it all in 10 minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GJIDR9J5eg
Reply 1292
Original post by ineedhelp4

They are quite low already tbh
Original post by ineedhelp4

:smile: :crossedf:
Guys what devices are used for AIC and TKAM?
Original post by MotherFukker
Guys what devices are used for AIC and TKAM?

Now, the trick is trying to remember it all!
Reply 1296
I need A/A* analysis for slim, anyone? I'll help in return (:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Elm Tree
Nah, we have to write on our desks and then hand it in at the end of the exam.

Spoiler

Haha, I did mean do we get 'official AQA' booklets or just pain lined paper.

It doesn't really make much of a difference but I've always practised on the same paper so I know how long a decent answer for me is!
Original post by Hassyk
They are quite low already tbh

thats true :frown:
Reply 1299
For Section B if I write (for example) two paragraphs about Part A then I start a third paragraph and write Part B in the margin then continue but start writing about Part B would that work?

Cause I don't want to re introduce the essay and then I would only need 1 conclusion that summaries both of them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending