The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE English Literature Exams - 20th and 23rd May 2013 *OFFICAL THREAD*

Scroll to see replies

I just want to take the time to thank you all for your help, it's helped me feel much more confident about the exam! This thread should seriously be made as a study guide, whose with me?
Good luck to y'all, and don't forget to PEE in your exam.
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1368993624.384371.jpg

Point
Evidence
Explanation

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1441
Original post by elliemarling
Yes please, haha! I'm so stressed I literally sat and cried for about ten minutes before...I really need at least an A in this subject and I'm doubting that I will considering the HUGE failure I made of myself in the English Language exam plus the fact that we've never actually done a practice paper just.....ugh. Someone hold me.

I'm the same :frown: just think it will all be over soon
Original post by fbrep2012
I feel Slim or Crooks are very likely to be mentioned in a question in OMAM. They have never been asked about before, so ensure that you understand their role in the story as well as their link with other characters.

I reckon Eric will come up in an Inspector Calls. He is a key character who has never been asked about. So make sure that you know his role in the play, how he changes throughout and whether he presents Priestly's message or not.

I don't think Crooks will come up since he came up in January 2013 Higher tier, so I would say it will probably be something about Curley, Slim or the Natural World/ American Dream :smile:
was really hoping to get and early night for the exams tomorrow, but match of the day is a must watch! :confused:
Actually starting to panic... the exam is tomorrow and I don't know enough stuff :afraid:
Reply 1445
Original post by Natasha792
Slim
Carlson
Curley

:s-smilie: I'm just reading through notes about these characters now

Curley has come up, I think.
I'm doing " the crucible" and of mice and men.. Also moon on the tides 'character and voice' anyone else?? If so any idea what the questions are going to be about??
Original post by BP_Tranquility
I don't think Crooks will come up since he came up in January 2013 Higher tier, so I would say it will probably be something about Curley, Slim or the Natural World/ American Dream :smile:

Do you know if Candy has come up recently?
Many thanks! :smile:
Reply 1448
Original post by LazyBazooka
Time to exercise my knowledge of Slim, hope he comes up in the exam

- Slim is presented to be Steinbeck's own example of ideal human nature, for instance he treats Crooks with respect despite the strong presence of racial prejudice within the era, and is the first to comfort George after Lennie's death - "come on, George, me an' you will go get a drink". In addition, he could also be interpreted as the characterization of Steinbeck, as he is clearly the most contrasting character within the ranch and is the socially aware and realist figure of the novel.

- There is various imagery relating to his perfection and how this is emphasised implicit relations to Jesus Christ, for instance his 'long, black, damp hair' is a comparison with Jesus, which also increases his importance as he is key to people and acts as a symbol of guidance. This is increasingly emphasised by the combing of his hair, which not only reflects his vanity and humanises him, but shows great care for others as his hair is a metaphor for people, and how he tries to look good for people as they always look to him for assurance.

- Slim is the giver of life and death, which is shown once he breeds and drowns several puppies, which also emphasises the theme of weakness within the novel, and doesn't argue against the killing of Candy's dog and Lennie.

- It is mentioned that he is 'capable of driving ten, sixteen and even twenty mules', which expresses his strength and importance on the ranch as he is able to carry out jobs, which was of great value during the Great Depression.

- The 'gravity of his manner' suggests that he may be a realist, which is enforced as he displays no desires or dreams throughout the novel. It also infers that bears positive attributes and intimacy to his presence, as gravity holds stars together (shows he is important , and stars are warm, bright subjects. This concept is supported by 'the table was brilliant with light' upon his entry into the bunkhouse.

Did you write that in 20 minutes?
Original post by Elm Tree
Was that parts A and B?

it was just section A paper, the omam question
This may be a bizarre question but are we allowed to highlight the question papers?

I know that in exams where you write your answers in the same space as the questions you're not allowed because it can mess up the electronic reading or something but if there's a question book can you highlight?

I ask especially for the section B where they give you an extract as I find colour much more useful than underlining in pencil?

​Please help ASAP because I need to pack my exam pencil case...
basically making 'perceptive' interpretations and comments is making up some original bull idea about what this or that symbolizes - basically making comments the average student isn't going to make. Guess I'll do that tomorrow.
Please be Slim and the context question on Life/Natural world/American Society
Original post by tatwriter
This may be a bizarre question but are we allowed to highlight the question papers?

I know that in exams where you write your answers in the same space as the questions you're not allowed because it can mess up the electronic reading or something but if there's a question book can you highlight?

I ask especially for the section B where they give you an extract as I find colour much more useful than underlining in pencil?

​Please help ASAP because I need to pack my exam pencil case...

Yeah you can

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Olympiad
Good. On the other hand, you are allowed to PEE during your exam

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok, O great and wise one :biggrin:
Original post by JustaDreamer
Ok, O great and wise one :biggrin:

:woo:

Ok bye going to have an emotional breakdown now *cries*

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1455
Do you guys plan on the question booklet or the question paper?
Original post by cycahm
Do you guys plan on the question booklet or the question paper?

The answer booklet

Posted from TSR Mobile
How much approximately are you guys planning to write for each question?
Original post by dathtom
How much approximately are you guys planning to write for each question?

2 and a bit sides - my writing is small

(I managed to fit 2,000 words in 2 A4 sides LOOL)

You?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Olympiad
:woo:

Ok bye going to have an emotional breakdown now *cries*

Posted from TSR Mobile

:console:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending