The Student Room Group

AQA Physics Unit 1 PHYA1 20th May 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1140
Original post by Goods
I thought the Jan paper was easier so i would say its likely to be 68/70 again. (That could be because i think i got 68/69 but meh)

Good stuff, hopefully we can afford to lose 1 or 2 marks as you always do
Reply 1141
Original post by StalkeR47
Photon does have a mass. Every particle has a mass.:wink:

Light are photons, If photons have mass we should be crushed by the weight of light... either they dont have mass or were all made of diamond hmmm
Original post by EllBailz
Did you get 1/R=1/4.22222222 + 1/2 +1/1.5
So R = 0.71? :smile:

That's what i wrote but it's wrong because apparently the internal resistance is counted as being in series so you just add it on without doing 1/1.5 or whatever it was.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1143
it seems to ambiguous, they should have stated whether the resistance was for the battery and the other resistors or just for the resistors
Reply 1144
Original post by amar96
Light are photons, If photons have mass we should be crushed by the weight of light... either they dont have mass or were all made of diamond hmmm

This argument is so ****ing stupid.

Electrons and protons also have mass, we don't get crushed by them do we?

Plus photons have momentum, so they can still cause impact

Seriously. Don't argue something if you don't genuinely know the answer
Reply 1145
Original post by baker96
For the charge of the ion, I did 2 x -1.6 x 10^19 to get a negative charge, will this matter?

Maybe you will lose one mark. It had to be positive charge
Original post by g.k.galloway
No as the internal resistance was effectively in series

so I did 1/R = 1/2 + 1/4.22222

find R

then +1.5

= 2.86 ish

you would write this to be 2.9 to 2 s.f. right? the values given for the resistance and voltage was to 2sf.
Reply 1147
Original post by g.k.galloway
No as the internal resistance was effectively in series

so I did 1/R = 1/2 + 1/4.22222

find R

then +1.5

= 2.86 ish

Ah that's right because that makes a current of 4.2, fair enough :smile:
Could someone please do an Unofficial mark scheme?
Reply 1149
you would write this to be 2.9 to 2 s.f. right? the values given for the resistance and voltage was to 2sf.

As long as it didn't ask for significant figures in the question and you wrote out the whole answer somewhere in your workings you will get full marks
Reply 1150
Original post by cyfer
This argument is so ****ing stupid.

Electrons and protons also have mass, we don't get crushed by them do we?

Plus photons have momentum, so they can still cause impact

Seriously. Don't argue something if you don't genuinely know the answer

do photons have Electrons and protons inside them also the photon is governed NOT by its mass or its velocity but by its relation to frequency e=hf so its so called 'momentum' does not create the impact but the frequency of light it is coming with
(edited 10 years ago)
For the last question, you had to do 40000 - 10000 for the final step, if i wrote 40000 - 10 to get 39990, how many marks would i lose. Yes i know it was a stupid mistake haha!
Reply 1152
Original post by EllBailz
Ah that's right because that makes a current of 4.2, fair enough :smile:

Give me a paper and I will
Reply 1153
Original post by kingmango
For the last question, you had to do 40000 - 10000 for the final step, if i wrote 40000 - 10 to get 39990, how many marks would i lose. Yes i know it was a stupid mistake haha!

You'll get 1/2 if you found out the resistance had to be 40000.
Original post by amar96

Definitely photon has a mass. Not in tonnes that it would crush us lol. But I hope you got the mark for saying it doesn't.
Original post by pilotluke1
Could someone please do an Unofficial mark scheme?

We need the paper really :s-smilie:
Reply 1156
Gutted at the number of silly mistakes that I made... Could have got full marks had I at least checked the paper again... So flipping frustrating :frown:
the Oscilloscope question was 16V per division and 2ms per division, and it was out of 3 marks, does anyone know what the 3rd mark was for?
Reply 1158
Definitely photon has a mass. Not in tonnes that it would crush us lol. But I hope you got the mark for saying it doesn't.

Incorrect. Photons have 0 rest mass.
Reply 1159
Original post by kingmango

2. One for working, one for the answer

Original post by amar96
do photons have Electrons and protons inside them... for momentum you need mass p=mv

I hope to God you're trolling. How did you even attempt this paper with such an ignorant outlook?
No they don't have electrons or protons.
No, there is a different equation for the momentum of a photon, based on planck's constant

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending