The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE English Literature Exams - 20th and 23rd May 2013 *OFFICAL THREAD*

Scroll to see replies

So for the AQA Conflict Cluster, we are all pretty sure it will either be

Out of the Blue
The Yellow Palm
Come on, Come back
Hawk Roosting

Does anyone have a little suggestion on what I could compare Out of the Blue, or Hawk Roosting with? I am struggling also with how to construct my essay, my teacher taught me to do:

Intro-brief answer of question and short explanation of each poem
Para 1- Talk about 1st poem and relate to question using quotes
Para 2- Talk about 2nd poem and relate to question using quotes
Para 3- Compare similarities between poems using structure, language features
Para 4- Compare differences between poems using structure, language features
Conclude-breif overview of points and meanings of both poems

Does this sound like a good structure to get an A/B? (Hopefully A)

Thanks!
Good luck everyone I wish you all do as you deserve to :smile:
Original post by Ryan075
To compare, do you evaluate which poem is most successful in conveying the theme to the reader?

Compare the simiarities and differences between A01- Themes and Ideas and A02- Language form Structure.
A03 is the ability to compare and A04 is the a clear structure in the way you write!
Original post by freesamplegirl
So for the AQA Conflict Cluster, we are all pretty sure it will either be

Out of the Blue
The Yellow Palm
Come on, Come back
Hawk Roosting

Does anyone have a little suggestion on what I could compare Out of the Blue, or Hawk Roosting with? I am struggling also with how to construct my essay, my teacher taught me to do:

Intro-brief answer of question and short explanation of each poem
Para 1- Talk about 1st poem and relate to question using quotes
Para 2- Talk about 2nd poem and relate to question using quotes
Para 3- Compare similarities between poems using structure, language features
Para 4- Compare differences between poems using structure, language features
Conclude-breif overview of points and meanings of both poems

Does this sound like a good structure to get an A/B? (Hopefully A)

Thanks!
Good luck everyone I wish you all do as you deserve to :smile:

Hi I'm doing the Place cluster.
To get an A* btw you need to contextualise it to the time it was written i.e romantics, post modern
Structure is:
Common theme of the poems
mood and tones
language form and structure
effect on the reader!
Reply 2343
I'm doing Moon on the tides, Character and voice
Does anyone have any tips on how to do notes on these poems that won't take up like a side of A4

Also, can someone please give me ANY tips on unseen poetry
My class has had an absolute nightmare with teachers and we've only had half a lesson on it
anything will be appreciated!!
What do Place people think will come up?

Can;t find January 13 past paper; but heres list of poems already up:
Neighbours and Hard Water JUNE 12
Below the Green corrie and Storm in the Black Forest JAN 12
Wind and London June 11
Original post by elliec_
I'm doing Moon on the tides, Character and voice
Does anyone have any tips on how to do notes on these poems that won't take up like a side of A4

Also, can someone please give me ANY tips on unseen poetry
My class has had an absolute nightmare with teachers and we've only had half a lesson on it
anything will be appreciated!!

Comment on poetry techniques and the themes basically analyse the poem!
Original post by Elishaclark2
Well, Neighbours, Hard water, London, Below the Green Corrie, Wind and Storm in the Black Forest have all come up before!
I predict it will be Price we pay for the sun or The Blackbird of Glanmore:smile: (well, I hope it's them!)

Posted from TSR Mobile

In my opinion they're the easiest to write about along with London!
Hope Prelude doesn't come up.
Reply 2347
Original post by ElLeonNino
Hi I'm doing the Place cluster.
To get an A* btw you need to contextualise it to the time it was written i.e romantics, post modern
Structure is:
Common theme of the poems
mood and tones
language form and structure
effect on the reader!

Context (AO4) is not assessed in this unit so you do not need to contextualise anything. It would be silly and extremely hard anyway because all the poems are written at different times, and this is only a gcse exam.
Original post by junaid97
For the relationship cluster you only have to study Ghazal, Sonnet 116 (which I think will surely come up), To His Coy Mistress and Born Yesterday. I suggest you also study other poems to compare with these

how can you make that assumption when you haven't seen the paper?
Original post by SS_Ldn
Really pleased that Ruined Maid is definitley not coming up as named poem in character and voice, hoping its les grands seigneurs or river God

i think it will be les grands seigneurs and case history:alison (head injury) but what themes???
Original post by JustaDreamer
Precisely my thoughts :smile: :five:

how do you know these wont come up????
GUYS - BIG QUESTION.
Were there any exams on Poetry Anthology on 2011 January? I'm trying to look for the past paper to find out what poems came up for Jan 2011.
If you guys can get it please inform!
hello...anybody out there doing unit 4 literature exam on 23rd:confused:? do you have any tips on essay writing for Romeo & Juliet and animal farm?plz help...i need to do a cram session right now otherwise my grades...don't wanna think about it..
Original post by Jess_Hills
how do you know these wont come up????

AQA publishes a list of poems that won't be asked in either tier: Poems that won't be asked in the FOUNDATION TIER : Medusa, Les Grands Seigneurs, Case History: Alison Poems that won't be asked in the HIGHER TIER: Give, Brendon Gallagher, The Ruined Maid. I got this off Mr Bruff's video on Youtube :smile:
Original post by SS_Ldn
Really pleased that Ruined Maid is definitley not coming up as named poem in character and voice, hoping its les grands seigneurs or river God

How do u know its not coming up??

Posted from TSR Mobile
AQA publishes a list of poems that won't be asked in either tier: Poems that won't be asked in the FOUNDATION TIER : Medusa, Les Grands Seigneurs, Case History: Alison Poems that won't be asked in the HIGHER TIER: Give, Brendon Gallagher, The Ruined Maid. I got this off Mr Bruff's video on Youtube :smile:

Could you send me this video?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 1D - Belieber
Could you send me this video?

Posted from TSR Mobile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjObjRSpFMw This should be the link, but I'm not one for technology :redface:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjObjRSpFMw This should be the link, but I'm not one for technology :redface:

It is! Thanks :smile:)
What cluster are you doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2358
Original post by SimiBformeplease
Hi can you list some points comparing Ghazal and To His Coy Mistress for me please! (you dont know how much this would help me for last minute revision)!

Yes sure I have made a little table below :smile:

Original post by iceangel8
That's what I was worried about!!! I'm gonna risk it because I cba to look at the other poems these 4 are pretty guaranteed. For the modern texts I just focused on Eric for AIC hoped no one else would come up and it worked it my favour Could you give me some points for Ghazal vs. To His Coy Mistress/Born Yesterday vs. Hour that would be a great help :smile:

Its terrifying, because like you said, it's almost definite they come up, but if they didn't, I would be beyond dead.

Edit: woops, I cant seem to add my table here, I will PM them to you :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by 1D - Belieber
It is! Thanks :smile:)
What cluster are you doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problem, I'm doing Character and voice. You?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending