The Student Room Group

AQA Geography Unit 2 May 21st 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SoAce
How did you guys and girls find the exam?
I personally liked the paper and hopefully it will bump up my boarder line A before the resit.
The only thing I'm worried about is that I drew a scatter graph where as the majority of my class drew a comparative bar chart, anyone else do the same?
Just 3 months of waiting now....great :/

Personally I don't see how you can do a scatter graph for only four points? Also, how did you show which country is which?
Reply 381
Original post by ElChapo
What did everyone put for the biggest anomaly in the data set? (surprised noone asked this) I wasn't too sure, went for Maranhao in the end

Same here, it was the only one where the d^2 value was significantly different.

I thought the paper was pretty nice really (easier than most of the past papers?) so hoping for a decent mark - my only mistake was a rounding error. I remembered the 1-, but then messed up the easy bit! :angry: I didn't find paper 1 very pleasant so hopefully this will bump the UMS up though, apart from that little blip I thought it was good.
Reply 382
Original post by AdamY
Same here, it was the only one where the d^2 value was significantly different.

I thought the paper was pretty nice really (easier than most of the past papers?) so hoping for a decent mark - my only mistake was a rounding error. I remembered the 1-, but then messed up the easy bit! :angry: I didn't find paper 1 very pleasant so hopefully this will bump the UMS up though, apart from that little blip I thought it was good.

What did you get for your answer? Cos I think I made a rounding error too.... :frown:
Reply 383
It's 0.740 rounded up from like 0.7398 - if you didn't get that you went wrong somewhere

Posted from TSR Mobile
I forgot to subtract 1 but I think I got the same as some other people in my class haha ! So hopefully right ! For the sketch I was going to draw a map but instead drew the river and pointed out things like levees, deposition, erosion, meander, ect because it said to show the characteristics of your study area... And the map does not have characteristics :/ all the best guys x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 385
what was the anomalous result and why?
Reply 386
Original post by ElChapo
It's 0.740 rounded up from like 0.7398 - if you didn't get that you went wrong somewhere

Posted from TSR Mobile

oh man, do you lose a mark for not rounding to 0.740?
Reply 387
Original post by bjmcgeough
Well for example; you could draw the contour lines on and show a V shaped valley, or a gentle valley. Also, you could show a Meander with a slip off slope and label it 'deposition'...

That's what I did, but my aim is to compare changes to the river characteristics downstream...

that was my aim exactly! haha :wink:
Reply 388
What did the fieldwork question mean when they talked about your theory and concept?
Original post by missat
What did the fieldwork question mean when they talked about your theory and concept?

It basically meant, why did you do your fieldwork? What were you testing? Etc.
Reply 390
I chose Maranhao too. I made the most stupid mistake on the Spearman's Rank, I forgot to do the multiply by 6. What an idiot :rolleyes: :s-smilie:
Reply 391
does anyone know how for jan 13 paper, you needed 35/50 for an A, but how many raw marks would you need for full ums? how do you calculate that? help?
Original post by xstarsx67
does anyone know how for jan 13 paper, you needed 35/50 for an A, but how many raw marks would you need for full ums? how do you calculate that? help?

It was 43...
http://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administration/about-results/uniform-mark-scale/convert-marks-to-ums
Original post by ElChapo
What did everyone put for the biggest anomaly in the data set? (surprised noone asked this) I wasn't too sure, went for Maranhao in the end

Didn't think twice about it... it was the only one that didn't really fit the pattern
Reply 394
Original post by xstarsx67
oh man, do you lose a mark for not rounding to 0.740?

Well it did say round to 3dp so you may lose 1 for incorrect rounding

Original post by missat

The part of the specification your fieldwork came from, for me it was the Bradshaw model

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 395
Original post by polka dots :)
omg i completely ran out of time for this paper. I
missed out 3 questions and the ones i did do i got wrong :frown:

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay
I have to disgree with 0.74 for the spearmans rank it was definately 0.260 the formulae stated for you to do the sum of d squared x 6 over n cubed -n it never stated for you to take the 1 off, and therefore it was not needed. In my case it was 6 * 74.5 / 12 cubed -12.Ben
Reply 397
Original post by Ben Sadler
I have to disgree with 0.74 for the spearmans rank it was definately 0.260 the formulae stated for you to do the sum of d squared x 6 over n cubed -n it never stated for you to take the 1 off, and therefore it was not needed. In my case it was 6 * 74.5 / 12 cubed -12.Ben

I'm pretty sure it told us to minus 1. That is the spearmans rank formula.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 398

I am pretty sure it is 0.740
Reply 399

It was definitely 0.740, you take away the last calculated value from 1 to get your Spearman's Rank value

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending