The Student Room Group

Who's your favourite poet ?

Thought it would be nice to post one of these threads specifically for poets.

Who's your favourite poet ? Give reasons if you want, and name a few of your favourite works by them.

Mine has to be Wilfred Owen, I absolutely love his poetry.
Or William Blake, the opening lines of Auguries of Innocence are superb.

Scroll to see replies

After learning 394972 poems for English Literature I don't have one

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Charles Hamilton Sorley, in keeping with the WWI theme!
Reply 3
I hate poetry (particularly Yeats). English Literature has put me off fancy words and enjambment.
I don't have a favourite poet, but when i did English Lit and Lang i absolutely loved Sylvia Plath. I transformed Lady Lazarus into an obituary, i was so proud of that work, the emotion in that poem was just perfect to work off.

I love those dark, depressive, psychological, powerful poems.....If anyone has any recommendations i'd be grateful :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by tjf8
Charles Hamilton Sorley, in keeping with the WWI theme!

Yeah, WW1 poets (in general) are great ! :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Ndella
I hate poetry (particularly Yeats). English Literature has put me off fancy words and enjambment.

Not all poets are like that !
Reply 7
Original post by Little Isis
I don't have a favourite poet, but when i did English Lit and Lang i absolutely loved Sylvia Plath. I transformed Lady Lazarus into an obituary, i was so proud of that work, the emotion in that poem was just perfect to work off.

I love those dark, depressive, psychological, powerful poems.....If anyone has any recommendations i'd be grateful :smile:

You should try Bukowski ! He's a bit unusual, some don't even consider him a poet - but I think he's great.

Thomas Hardy is also really good, give him a try :smile:
Original post by dsfdsfdsf
You should try Bukowski ! He's a bit unusual, some don't even consider him a poet - but I think he's great.

Thomas Hardy is also really good, give him a try :smile:

Never heard of Bukowski, i'll give him a try. I think i've only ever read one Thomas Hardy poem, can't remember what its called but it reminded me of geometry and maths for some reason. Funny you mentioned him as well, because i transformed Tess of the D'urbevilles in to a TV script. Love that novel to death, i would read it over and over again. Poor Tess eh!
Reply 9
To see a world in a grain of sand,
and a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand,
and eternity in an hour.

For me, that is majestic.
Reply 10
Original post by dsfdsfdsf
Not all poets are like that !

Lol don't worry, I know. If I had to think about it, some of Simon Armitage's poems are pretty good. Although he isn't pre-1945, I think his use of imagery is really convincing, especially in 'Nettles'.
Reply 11

Check out The Waste Land by T.S. Eliot if you fancy something engrossing.
Reply 12
Never heard of Bukowski, i'll give him a try. I think i've only ever read one Thomas Hardy poem, can't remember what its called but it reminded me of geometry and maths for some reason. Funny you mentioned him as well, because i transformed Tess of the D'urbevilles in to a TV script. Love that novel to death, i would read it over and over again. Poor Tess eh!

Been meaning to read the book for a long time !

When you read a bit of Bukowski - get back to the thread and tell us what you think. :smile:
Reply 13
W.H Auden is a great poet alongside Wilfred Owen.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well known:
Goethe
TS Eliot
Shakespear (the Sonnets)

More obscure:
Matthew Hannam
Deni Raqueteur
Sylvia Plath or Philip Larkin.
Original post by tjf8
Check out The Waste Land by T.S. Eliot if you fancy something engrossing.

I second that, and would also recommend The Hollow Men by Eliot
Reply 17
Muhammad Ali.
Auden is a favourite and so is E.E Cummings.
I'm more inclined to have favourite poems than poets

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tony Harrison for his anger and passion. He writes poetry against elitism. My favourite of his works is a poem called Remains. It is about a paperhanger who writes a poem on the wall in the Wordsworth museum, but it is covered and believed to be vandalism because the paperhanger is not known or famous. Harrison ends the poem by writing the paperhangers poem. It is only one line but it gives unknown poets a voice and highlights the class division and elitism in some aspects of poetry. Amazing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending